On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 09:58:41PM +1300, Nick Roberts wrote: [...] > I don't think I understand the issues. I thought if I used the keyword inline > e.g "inline int mysquare (int x)", I would get an inline function. Perhaps > thats not the case because I can set a breakpoint, stop there and see mysquare > in the stack. No, it's just a hint to the compiler. It may think it knows better than you. You may ask the compiler to warn you when it ignores the hint (with -Winline). If you want to *force* inline, you may try a monstrosity like __inline__ __attribute__((always_inline)) (if I remember correctly). HTH -- tomás