all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Narrow buffer to the results of an isearch?
@ 2005-10-07 15:39 Ryan Newton
From: Ryan Newton @ 2005-10-07 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maybe this is impossible, I certainly haven't found anything on it yet.

What I want is to mask the current buffer to all lines matching an
search.  Unfortunately I don't know if narrow-to-region can be used
for this, because the region is defined as a continuous area of text
between the mark and the point.

Has anyone hacked up support for discontinuous regions?  Or some
other way that I can filter the buffer to only my lines of interest?

--Ryan

* Re: Narrow buffer to the results of an isearch?
@ 2005-10-07 16:34 ` Slawomir Nowaczyk
From: Slawomir Nowaczyk @ 2005-10-07 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 11:39:18 -0400
Ryan Newton <rrnewton@gmail.com> wrote:

#> Maybe this is impossible, I certainly haven't found anything on it yet.
#>
#> What I want is to mask the current buffer to all lines matching an
#> search.  Unfortunately I don't know if narrow-to-region can be used
#> for this, because the region is defined as a continuous area of text
#> between the mark and the point.
#>
#> Has anyone hacked up support for discontinuous regions?  Or some
#> other way that I can filter the buffer to only my lines of interest?

Depending on what do you want to do with the buffer, M-x occur might
work for you. And there is also an outline mode which you could look
into.

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with
a kind word alone.

* Re: Narrow buffer to the results of an isearch?
       [not found] <mailman.10276.1128699759.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-07 16:37 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2005-10-07 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ryan Newton" <rrnewton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Maybe this is impossible, I certainly haven't found anything on it
yet.

> What I want is to mask the current buffer to all lines matching an
> search.  Unfortunately I don't know if narrow-to-region can be used
> for this, because the region is defined as a continuous area of text
> between the mark and the point.
>
> Has anyone hacked up support for discontinuous regions?  Or some
> other way that I can filter the buffer to only my lines of interest?
>
> --Ryan

Since the emacs buffer is only a copy of the visited file, you could
shell out to the operating system, run 'sed' (Unix stream editor) on the
file, pipe the output to temp, and then read temp into another buffer,
or even insert it into or append it to the original buffer. It might
even be possible to automate this entire process with a little help from
elisp and your friends. Rather than isearch, you will probably want to
use the more powerful search regexp.

Ed

* Re: Narrow buffer to the results of an isearch?
@ 2005-10-07 16:50 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-10-07 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ryan Newton wrote:
> Maybe this is impossible, I certainly haven't found anything on it yet.
>
> What I want is to mask the current buffer to all lines matching an
> search.  Unfortunately I don't know if narrow-to-region can be used  for
> this, because the region is defined as a continuous area of text
> between the mark and the point.
>
> Has anyone hacked up support for discontinuous regions?  Or some  other
> way that I can filter the buffer to only my lines of interest?

M-x occur

--
Kevin Rodgers

@ 2005-10-07 17:16 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2005-10-07 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:39:18 -0400 Ryan Newton wrote:

> What I want is to mask the current buffer to all lines matching an
> search.  Unfortunately I don't know if narrow-to-region can be used
> for this, because the region is defined as a continuous area of text
> between the mark and the point.

Maybe this helps:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/HideLines

(defun hide-non-matching-lines (search-text)
  "Hide lines that don't match the specified regexp." ...

David

* Re: Narrow buffer to the results of an isearch?
@ 2005-10-07 17:18   ` Ryan Newton
From: Ryan Newton @ 2005-10-07 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, M-x occur is pretty good.  I can see them all together, and
editing them isn't too hard.

B.T. Raven, I would hesitate to try to sed-out a separate buffer for
fear of it being difficult to reinsert.  (But by just including line
numbers in the sed output and reinserting at those line numbers,
maybe it wouldn't be so bad...)

Thanks all,
--Ryan

@ 2005-10-07 18:43     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-07 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kevin Rodgers, help-gnu-emacs

There is a page on http://www.emacswiki.org/ about occur and moccur that
I believe could be interesting. If I remember correctly there is even a
way to edit the results from an moccur search. Quite nice!

-- Lennart