On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 07:31:04PM -0400, Richard M. Stallman wrote: > So, I would conclude, that there is no bug at all. Emacs can't > possibly know, that the "Local Variables:" block isn't meant to be > interpreted in the diff file. =20 > > Hmm. It still feels like a bug to me, and I want to find a way to > fix it. I agree, that it would be nice, if it could be fixed -- still wouldn't call it a bug. Emacs acts exactly as one would expect from the documentation. > One idea is to restrict what strings can be used as the "prefix" > in a local variables list, so that local variables lists in diff output > are not obeyed. I'm afraid it won't be that easy. Typical prefix chars in diffs are "-", "+" and "!" most (all?) of them are used for comments in some languages (eg. Ada, Postscript). Even worse: context lines aren't prefixed at all. I think that emacs would need to know, what type of file it processes, to use a sensible set of allowed prefix chars -- but how? The given example "bigfile" had no suffix in the file name, the first line wasn't starting with "diff" or something else saying "hey look, I'm a diff file" and the local variables list, which normally is a way to tell emacs "don't guess, just use FOO mode" is not meant to be interpreted... cheers sascha -- "Anyone who slaps a 'this page is best viewed with Browser X' label on a Web page appears to be yearning for the bad old days, before the Web, when you had very little chance of reading a document written on another computer, another word processor, or another network." -- Tim Berners-Lee, July 1996