Thanks, David for your comments. On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 09:20:47AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote: > tomas@tuxteam.de (Tomas Zerolo) writes: > > > I'm an user of Lua mode, written by Christian Vogler et > > al. [...] > You have to be aware that the package in the CVS will be distributed > as part of Emacs, and thus it has to be under the GPL, and every > contributor needs to have his copyright assigned to the FSF. Yes, I am aware of that. Christian has already stated that it is OK with him to sign papers. If there is interest in integrating lua-mode into Emacs, I'd try to reach the other distributors mentioned in the copyright notice and try to find out whether there are other, unmentioned. > XEmacs > development headquarters in general does not bother about assignments > too much. That means that if you have XEmacs-only contributors, they > can't work even on the XEmacs parts of LUA-mode without assigning > copyright to the FSF, and some XEmacs contributors/developers would > rather refrain than do that (some prefer XEmacs for exactly that > reason). So that's the downpoint. I see. I'll write to the (known) contributors (the package is not that large, so it seems very probable they are all). > With regard to XEmacs support: the current maintainer of the mode (in > this case, you) decides about the policies. That would mean it would > be basically your responsibility to make reasonably sure the stuff > continues working under XEmacs in case other Emacs developers make > additions and fixes. Yes, I'd try to do that. > If you pass on maintainership at some point of > time, finding an XEmacs-aware successor might be more difficult with > the mode being maintained as part of Emacs. Yes, I see the point. Thanks -- tomás