all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: tomas@tuxteam.de (Tomas Zerolo)
Cc: Christian.Vogler@gallaudet.edu, Tomas Zerolo <tomas@tuxteam.de>,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: lua mode
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:51:16 +0200	[thread overview]

Thanks, David for your comments.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 09:20:47AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de (Tomas Zerolo) writes:
>
> > I'm an user of Lua mode, written by Christian Vogler et
> > al. [...]

> You have to be aware that the package in the CVS will be distributed
> as part of Emacs, and thus it has to be under the GPL, and every
> contributor needs to have his copyright assigned to the FSF.

Yes, I am aware of that. Christian has already stated that it is OK with
him to sign papers. If there is interest in integrating lua-mode into
Emacs, I'd try to reach the other distributors mentioned in the
copyright notice and try to find out whether there are other,
unmentioned.

>                                                               XEmacs
> development headquarters in general does not bother about assignments
> too much.  That means that if you have XEmacs-only contributors, they
> can't work even on the XEmacs parts of LUA-mode without assigning
> copyright to the FSF, and some XEmacs contributors/developers would
> rather refrain than do that (some prefer XEmacs for exactly that
> reason).  So that's the downpoint.

I see. I'll write to the (known) contributors (the package is not that
large, so it seems very probable they are all).

> With regard to XEmacs support: the current maintainer of the mode (in
> this case, you) decides about the policies.  That would mean it would
> be basically your responsibility to make reasonably sure the stuff
> continues working under XEmacs in case other Emacs developers make
> additions and fixes.

Yes, I'd try to do that.

>                       If you pass on maintainership at some point of
> time, finding an XEmacs-aware successor might be more difficult with
> the mode being maintained as part of Emacs.

Yes, I see the point.

Thanks
-- tomás