all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Delete M-TAB behaviour in Emacs
@ 2005-09-18 15:39 Cesáreo García Rodicio
From: Cesáreo García Rodicio @ 2005-09-18 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I'm using emacs since several years ago. I use WindowMaker manager and
my Debian install left my Emacs with M-TAB use in Emacs, and NOT to
change between Windows (that's what I'm expecting)

I've review lists, google and even change my .xmodmap file but I
couldn't do that.

How can I use M-TAB in Emacs to change into another window and not
emacs functions?

Thank you so much.
Cesáreo

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es

* Re: Delete M-TAB behaviour in Emacs
@ 2005-09-18 21:19 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7494.1127137288.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-09-18 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.09.2005 um 17:39 schrieb Cesáreo García Rodicio:

> How can I use M-TAB in Emacs to change into another window and not
> emacs functions?

You have to make your Window Manager grab that event and use it in a
wasteful manner! Then it won't reach GNU Emacs.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"No man was ever taken to hell by a woman unless he already had a
  ticket in his pocket, or at least had been fooling around with
  timetables."  -- Archie Goodwin

* Re: Delete M-TAB behaviour in Emacs
@ 2005-09-19 13:39   ` Cesáreo García Rodicio
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7494.1127137288.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Cesáreo García Rodicio @ 2005-09-19 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Cesáreo García Rodicio

Hi Peter!

Thanks for your response but the problem is when I'm in Emacs,
something occurs in Emacs that grab Alt+TAB. With other rograms I have
no problem only in Emacs. I use window maker and I know it is possible
but I can't get it to work.

I have seen Window Maker and emacs with M-TAB function working fine.
How can I do?

thanks again.
Cesáreo

       [not found] <mailman.7418.1127057998.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-20  9:29 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-09-20  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cesáreo García Rodicio <cesareogarciarodicio@yahoo.es> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I'm using emacs since several years ago. I use WindowMaker manager and
> my Debian install left my Emacs with M-TAB use in Emacs, and NOT to
> change between Windows (that's what I'm expecting)
>
> I've review lists, google and even change my .xmodmap file but I
> couldn't do that.
>
> How can I use M-TAB in Emacs to change into another window and not
> emacs functions?

This needs to be done at the window manager level, not from within
emacs. The window manager sees the key combination before emacs - if
it interprets that action and does something, emacs will never see the
key combination unless the window manager is also configured to pass
that combination through to an application.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

@ 2005-09-20  9:45     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-09-20  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cesáreo García Rodicio <cesareo@cesareox.com> writes:

> Hi Peter!
>
> Thanks for your response but the problem is when I'm in Emacs,
> something occurs in Emacs that grab Alt+TAB. With other rograms I have
> no problem only in Emacs. I use window maker and I know it is possible
> but I can't get it to work.
>
> I have seen Window Maker and emacs with M-TAB function working fine.
> How can I do?

That sounds very odd and certainly isn't standard behavior for window
managers under X. Normal behavior is for the window manager to first
interpret all key strokes, see if there is some window manager command
bound to it and execute it if there is. If there is no window manager
command bound to the key combination, it is passed through to the
application (if one is focused). In other words, window manager
bindings usually take preference over application key bindings. The
only other possible complication arises when the window managger is
able toalso pass the key combination through to the application (sort
of a chaining), in which case, the window manager performs its action
and then passes the key combination onto the application.

I don't know about window maker, but if you run sawfish with the
merlyn add-ons, the M-Tab key switches applications (similar to the
same functionality in windows). If I have the merlyn extensions
installed, I have to change the key combination at the window manager
level because I muse M-Tab a lot.

I would strongly suggest moving the window maker key combination to
some other binding. The M-Tab key is used a lot by various modes and
it is unlikely you will reliably be able to identify all the hooks and
configurations you will need to ensure emacs no longer sees a binding
for M-Tab in any mode. You will also lose a lot of valuable
functionality without M-Tab within emacs.

The only way that I can imagine you observe the problem with emacs and
no other application is that window maker has some sort of dynamic key
binding functionality and there is some configuration setup somewhere
on your system which is changing the window maker config when emacs is
run - though I find this an unlikely proposition.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

@ 2005-09-20 11:14 ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 2005-09-20 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cesáreo García Rodicio <cesareogarciarodicio@yahoo.es> writes:

> How can I use M-TAB in Emacs to change into another window

(global-set-key (kbd "M-TAB") 'other-window)

* Re: Delete M-TAB behaviour in Emacs
@ 2005-09-21 23:42 ` Neon Absentius
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-09-21 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 05:39:03PM +0200, Cesαreo Garcνa Rodicio wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm using emacs since several years ago. I use WindowMaker manager and
> my Debian install left my Emacs with M-TAB use in Emacs, and NOT to
> change between Windows (that's what I'm expecting)
>
> I've review lists, google and even change my .xmodmap file but I
> couldn't do that.

What do you mean you couldn't? you tried and it didn't work?

I had a similar problem with fvwm2.  Although I could change the
window manager key binding I find the Alt-Tab binding really
convenient. The solution I found was to distinguish between the Meta
Key and the Alt Key in my .xmodmap. I use a pc-104 keyboard and I have
the "operating-system-logo" keys -- instead of the Alt -- bound to Meta.
That way I can use the Alt-Tab key to switch between X-windows and still
keep the M-Tab binding for emacs.

There is a very nice program the xkeycaps that you can use to
configure graphically your .xmodmap.  If you use a pc-104 keyboard it
will automatically distinguish Alt and Meta in the manner I described
above and emacs will be happy to use the new key afterwards. There is
a Debian package for xkeycaps.

HTH

--
Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the
people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so