Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, Thanks to Eli Zaretskii and Richard Stallman for responding to my original request. However, the problem still exists. Here is my original question: >> Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, >> When we recently upgraded from emacs 21.3 to emacs 21.4a on >> our Solaris 9 machines, we found that emacs would cause a coredump >> when it exited. Buffers were written correctly to files. We tried >> reverting to emacs 21.3, but now it does the same thing. Even >> clearing out all files installed by emacs and reinstalling does not >> prevent this behavior. The only change we can think of that might >> cause this was an upgrade of gcc to version 4.0.1 prior to the emacs >> upgrade. Richard suggested reverting from GCC 4.0.1 to an earlier version. We tried GCC 3.4.3 (the last version prior to 4.0.1 that we had installed). I cleared out emacs and reinstalled. The same problem occurs. Eli suggested turning optimization off. We tried that (with GCC 3.4.3). The problem persists. I notice that the makefiles keep trying the -O2 option; I don't know if my -O0 is overriding that or is being overriden. I have attached a transcript of the installation of emacs using gcc -O0 and a transcript of using gdb on the core file. Thank you for your help. Larry Griffith