all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* change of variable name in 21.4
@ 2005-09-03  8:03 Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-09-03  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I have been trying to find the name of the variable to change file
association with an application. according to the book I am reading
it is called Dired-view-command-alist. but not in emacs 21.4a-1 under
Debian. does any one know what the name of the variable is.
I tried C-h [a to z] for no avail.

thanks

>  LocalWords:  Dired alist

* Re: change of variable name in 21.4
@ 2005-09-03  8:15 ` Tim X
       [not found] ` <mailman.5837.1125750118.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2005-09-03  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff <washdc@wash.edu> writes:

> Hello
>
> I have been trying to find the name of the variable to change file
> association with an application. according to the book I am reading
> it is called Dired-view-command-alist. but not in emacs 21.4a-1 under
> Debian. does any one know what the name of the variable is.
> I tried C-h [a to z] for no avail.
>
> thanks

I think that variable was removed from dired some time ago.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

* Re: change of variable name in 21.4
@ 2005-09-03 12:03 ` Neon Absentius
       [not found] ` <mailman.5837.1125750118.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-09-03 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

,----[ C-h v dired-guess-shell-alist-user RET ]

`----

--
Most precious among the relics remaining of Peter's skeleton in the
Vatican are 29 fragments of one of his skulls. (St. Peter's other

@ 2005-09-03 23:22   ` Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-09-03 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 06:03:03PM +1000, Baloff wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I have been trying to find the name of the variable to change file
> > association with an application. according to the book I am reading
> > it is called Dired-view-command-alist. but not in emacs 21.4a-1 under
> > Debian. does any one know what the name of the variable is.
> > I tried C-h [a to z] for no avail.
> >

> ,----[ C-h v dired-guess-shell-alist-user RET ]
> | dired-guess-shell-alist-user's value is shown below.
> |
> | Documentation:
> | User-defined alist of rules for suggested commands.
> | These rules take precedence over the predefined rules in the variable
> | `dired-guess-shell-alist-default' (to which they are prepended).
> |
> | Each element of this list looks like
> |
> |     (REGEXP COMMAND...)
> |
> | where each COMMAND can either be a string or a lisp expression that evaluates
> | to a string.  If several COMMANDs are given, the first one will be the default
> | and the rest will be added temporarily to the history and can be retrieved
> | with M-x previous-history-element (M-p) .
> |
> | You can set this variable in your ~/.emacs.  For example, to add rules for
> | `.foo' and `.bar' files, write
> |
> |  (setq dired-guess-shell-alist-user
> |        (list (list "\\.foo\\'" "FOO-COMMAND");; fixed rule
> |               ;; possibly more rules ...
> |               (list "\\.bar\'";; rule with condition test
> |                     '(if condition
> |                           "BAR-COMMAND-1"
> |                         "BAR-COMMAND-2"))))
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> |
> | Defined in `dired-x'.
> |
> | Value:
> | (("\\.pdf$" "xpdf * &")
> |  ("\\.pdf\\.gz$" "zxpdf * &")
> |  ("\\.dvi$" "xdvi * &")
> |  ("\\.ps$" "gv --spartan * &")
> |  ("\\.eps$" "gv --spartan * &")
> |  ("\\.ps\\.gz$" "gv --spartan * &")
> |  ("\\.rtf$" "ted * &")
> |  ("\\.jpeg$" "display * &")
> |  ("\\.jpg$" "display * &")
> |  ("\\.gif$" "display * &")
> |  ("\\.png$" "display * &"))
> `----

what emacs version are you using? I cannot find this variable in the
package emacs 21.4a-1 packaged by Debian.

@ 2005-09-04  0:32     ` Neon Absentius
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5869.1125795282.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-09-04  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 09:22:16AM +1000, Baloff wrote:
> Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 06:03:03PM +1000, Baloff wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I have been trying to find the name of the variable to change file
> > > association with an application. according to the book I am reading
> > > it is called Dired-view-command-alist. but not in emacs 21.4a-1 under
> > > Debian. does any one know what the name of the variable is.
> > > I tried C-h [a to z] for no avail.
> > >

> > ,----[ C-h v dired-guess-shell-alist-user RET ]
> > | dired-guess-shell-alist-user's value is shown below.
--- 8< ---

> what emacs version are you using? I cannot find this variable in the
> package emacs 21.4a-1 packaged by Debian.

Well I am using mostly emacs-multi-tty (22.0.50.1) on Debian
testing/unstable but I have also installed the default emacs21 package
that is in etch (or unstable).  In that emacs "M-x version" gives

 GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2005-03-17 on trouble, modified by Debian

and when I give "C-h v dired-guess-shell-alist-user RET" it gives the
anwer I quoted above.

The answer to your problem might be in this part

> | Defined in `dired-x'.

This variable is not in the plain vanila dired, you have to use dired-x.
I have the following in my .emacs:

  ;; load the extended dired stuff.
  ;; (info "(dired-x)")
  (require 'dired-x)

HTH

--

@ 2005-09-04  4:58     ` Tim X
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5869.1125795282.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim X @ 2005-09-04  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff <washdc@wash.edu> writes:

> Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 06:03:03PM +1000, Baloff wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I have been trying to find the name of the variable to change file
> > > association with an application. according to the book I am reading
> > > it is called Dired-view-command-alist. but not in emacs 21.4a-1 under
> > > Debian. does any one know what the name of the variable is.
> > > I tried C-h [a to z] for no avail.
> > >

> > ,----[ C-h v dired-guess-shell-alist-user RET ]
> > | dired-guess-shell-alist-user's value is shown below.
> > |
> > | Documentation:
> > | User-defined alist of rules for suggested commands.
> > | These rules take precedence over the predefined rules in the variable
> > | `dired-guess-shell-alist-default' (to which they are prepended).
> > |
> > | Each element of this list looks like
> > |
> > |     (REGEXP COMMAND...)
> > |
> > | where each COMMAND can either be a string or a lisp expression that evaluates
> > | to a string.  If several COMMANDs are given, the first one will be the default
> > | and the rest will be added temporarily to the history and can be retrieved
> > | with M-x previous-history-element (M-p) .
> > |
> > | You can set this variable in your ~/.emacs.  For example, to add rules for
> > | `.foo' and `.bar' files, write
> > |
> > |  (setq dired-guess-shell-alist-user
> > |        (list (list "\\.foo\\'" "FOO-COMMAND");; fixed rule
> > |               ;; possibly more rules ...
> > |               (list "\\.bar\'";; rule with condition test
> > |                     '(if condition
> > |                           "BAR-COMMAND-1"
> > |                         "BAR-COMMAND-2"))))
> > |
> > | You can customize this variable.
> > |
> > | Defined in `dired-x'.
> > |
> > | Value:
> > | (("\\.pdf$" "xpdf * &")
> > |  ("\\.pdf\\.gz$" "zxpdf * &")
> > |  ("\\.dvi$" "xdvi * &")
> > |  ("\\.ps$" "gv --spartan * &")
> > |  ("\\.eps$" "gv --spartan * &")
> > |  ("\\.ps\\.gz$" "gv --spartan * &")
> > |  ("\\.rtf$" "ted * &")
> > |  ("\\.jpeg$" "display * &")
> > |  ("\\.jpg$" "display * &")
> > |  ("\\.gif$" "display * &")
> > |  ("\\.png$" "display * &"))
> > `----
>

> what emacs version are you using? I cannot find this variable in the
> package emacs 21.4a-1 packaged by Debian.
>

> > > thanks

> > --
> > Most precious among the relics remaining of Peter's skeleton in the
> > Vatican are 29 fragments of one of his skulls. (St. Peter's other
> > skull is preserved in a reliquary at the Cathedral of St. John
> > Lateran.)
> >    -- Frank R. Zindler, "Of Bones and Boners"

I think it might be defined in dired-x, which you need to load
explicitly. It is certainly available with emacs 21.4 on Debian.

Tim

--
Tim Cross

@ 2005-09-04 10:20       ` Baloff
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5879.1125834869.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Baloff @ 2005-09-04 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 09:22:16AM +1000, Baloff wrote:
>
> > Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> > > ,----[ C-h v dired-guess-shell-alist-user RET ]
> --- 8< ---
> >
> > what emacs version are you using? I cannot find this variable in the
> > package emacs 21.4a-1 packaged by Debian.
> >

> Well I am using mostly emacs-multi-tty (22.0.50.1) on Debian
> testing/unstable but I have also installed the default emacs21 package
> that is in etch (or unstable).  In that emacs "M-x version" gives
>
>  GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>  of 2005-03-17 on trouble, modified by Debian
>
> and when I give "C-h v dired-guess-shell-alist-user RET" it gives the
> anwer I quoted above.
>
> The answer to your problem might be in this part
>
> > | Defined in `dired-x'.
>
> This variable is not in the plain vanila dired, you have to use dired-x.
> I have the following in my .emacs:
>
>   ;; load the extended dired stuff.
>   ;; (info "(dired-x)")
>   (require 'dired-x)
>
> HTH

thanks, that worked,

btw, how do you inserted the output of M-x emacs-version in a buffer,
I mean the whole output which showed in my mini-buffer.

>  GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
>  of 2005-03-17 on trouble, modified by Debian

I searched by buffer or insert in M-x apropos: for no avail

@ 2005-09-04 11:33         ` Neon Absentius
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5879.1125834869.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-09-04 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 08:20:12PM +1000, Baloff wrote:
> btw, how do you inserted the output of M-x emacs-version in a buffer,
> I mean the whole output which showed in my mini-buffer.

By giving it a prefix argument. I typed "C-u M-x version RET".

,----[ C-h f version RET ]

`----

> >  LocalWords:  btw
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BTW what is this?

--

@ 2005-09-05  9:10           ` Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-09-05  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 08:20:12PM +1000, Baloff wrote:
>
> > btw, how do you inserted the output of M-x emacs-version in a buffer,
> > I mean the whole output which showed in my mini-buffer.
>
> By giving it a prefix argument. I typed "C-u M-x version RET".
>
> ,----[ C-h f version RET ]
> | version is an alias for `emacs-version' in `version.el'.
> | (version &optional HERE)
> |
> | Return string describing the version of Emacs that is running.
> | If optional argument HERE is non-nil, insert string at point.
> | Don't use this function in programs to choose actions according
> | to the system configuration; look at `system-configuration' instead.
> `----
>
> > >  LocalWords:  btw iSpell
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> BTW what is this?

this is the words which iSpell found and I hit 'A' "accept for this
buffer", still have to learn how to use gnus more effectively.

C-u M-x then inserted the output not in the mini-buffer but in a
buffer. now C-h k for describe key, how do I put the sequence (C-u
M-x) into C-h k, as soon as I type C-u it goes to work so I don't get
to type M-x.

thanks

* Re: change of variable name in 21.4
@ 2005-09-05 13:33             ` Josh Staiger
       [not found]             ` <mailman.5959.1125937411.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Josh Staiger @ 2005-09-05 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 05 Sep 2005 19:10:54 +1000, Baloff <washdc@wash.edu> wrote:
> Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> C-u M-x then inserted the output not in the mini-buffer but in a
> buffer. now C-h k for describe key, how do I put the sequence (C-u
> M-x) into C-h k, as soon as I type C-u it goes to work so I don't get
> to type M-x.

Prefixing a command with C-u is not a general solution for inserting
the results of that command into a buffer.  This just happens to be
how the version command is written.

--
Josh
http://joshstaiger.org

* Re: change of variable name in 21.4
@ 2005-09-05 16:18             ` Neon Absentius
       [not found]             ` <mailman.5959.1125937411.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-09-05 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 07:10:54PM +1000, Baloff wrote:
 > C-u M-x then inserted the output not in the mini-buffer but in a
> buffer.

No.

C-u provided the universal argument to the command that M-x invoked.

> now C-h k for describe key, how do I put the sequence (C-u
> M-x) into C-h k, as soon as I type C-u it goes to work so I don't get
> to type M-x.

I am not sure I understand this question but if I do undrstand, your
question is based on a misconception and does not admit a meaningful
answer.

--

@ 2005-09-05 19:27                 ` Neon Absentius
From: Neon Absentius @ 2005-09-05 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 05:40:03AM +1000, Baloff wrote:
> Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 07:10:54PM +1000, Baloff wrote:
> >  > C-u M-x then inserted the output not in the mini-buffer but in a
> >
> > > buffer.
> >
> > No.
> >
> > C-u provided the universal argument to the command that M-x invoked.
>
> how do I insert the output of 'M-x version' in a buffer? other than
> the mini-buffer.

Correct me if I am wrorg but I think I answered this question two
posts ago.

Its a good idea to read *carefully* the answers to the questions you
post. Unless you trying to pick up a flame war.

--

@ 2005-09-05 19:40               ` Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-09-05 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)