all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* linebreak after 78characters
@ 2005-08-26 18:48 Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2005-08-26 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello emacsians!

I just wondered where I can set permanently the option, that emacs breaks eac
line after 78characters. I can`t find it on the menu.

greetings,

bienchen

* Re: linebreak after 78characters
@ 2005-08-26 19:00 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-08-26 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs list

Am 26.08.2005 um 20:48 schrieb Stefan Bienert:

> I just wondered where I can set permanently the option, that emacs
> breaks eac
> line after 78characters. I can`t find it on the menu.

(set-fill-column 78) in .emacs. This value can be set in every buffer
to a different value (buffer-local).

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

"Let's face it; we don't want a free market economy either."
         James Farley, president, Coca-Cola Export Corp., 1959

* Re: linebreak after 78characters
@ 2005-08-26 19:36   ` Stefan Bienert
From: Stefan Bienert @ 2005-08-26 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I just wondered where I can set permanently the option, that emacs
> > breaks eac
> > line after 78characters. I can`t find it on the menu.
>
> (set-fill-column 78) in .emacs. This value can be set in every buffer
> to a different value (buffer-local).

Hm, this doesn`t work for me :-(
Normally I get the line break with a whitespace after the last word, hanging
over the 78-chars mark.

@ 2005-08-26 19:58     ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2005-08-26 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Bienert <StefanBienert@web.de> writes:

>> > I just wondered where I can set permanently the option, that emacs
>> > breaks eac
>> > line after 78characters. I can`t find it on the menu.
>>
>> (set-fill-column 78) in .emacs. This value can be set in every buffer
>> to a different value (buffer-local).
>
> Hm, this doesn`t work for me :-(
> Normally I get the line break with a whitespace after the last word, hanging
> over the 78-chars mark.
>
> greetings,
>
> bienchen

I think you have to turn on auto-fill-mode also...

* Re: linebreak after 78characters
       [not found] <mailman.5169.1125082571.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-08-26 20:10 ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-08-26 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I just wondered where I can set permanently the option, that emacs breaks eac
> line after 78characters. I can`t find it on the menu.

If you want auto-fill-mode to be on when in a particular mode you
need to add this to the mode's hook.

(add-hook 'foo-mode-hook  'auto-fill-mode)

If you want it on for every buffer regardless of mode you could try
putting it on the after-change-major-mode-hook but that won't cover
fundamental mode.

Personally I use (global-set-key [f12] 'auto-fill-mode) so I can
toggle it on and off with a single key no matter what mode I'm in.

* Re: linebreak after 78characters
@ 2005-08-27  7:24   ` bernhard
From: bernhard @ 2005-08-27  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:10:02 -0700 schrieb rgb:

>> I just wondered where I can set permanently the option, that emacs breaks eac
>> line after 78characters. I can`t find it on the menu.
>
> If you want auto-fill-mode to be on when in a particular mode you
> need to add this to the mode's hook.
>
> (add-hook 'foo-mode-hook  'auto-fill-mode)
>
> If you want it on for every buffer regardless of mode you could try
> putting it on the after-change-major-mode-hook but that won't cover
> fundamental mode.
>
> Personally I use (global-set-key [f12] 'auto-fill-mode) so I can
> toggle it on and off with a single key no matter what mode I'm in.

I donot know how it is done, but in auctex (latex) mode the following
lines at the end of a file set the column width to 90 columns.

%%% Local Variables
%%% mode: latex
%%% fill-column: 90
%%% End:

Bernhard

* Re: linebreak after 78characters
@ 2005-08-29  4:40     ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-08-29  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >> I just wondered where I can set permanently the option, that emacs breaks eac
> >> line after 78characters. I can`t find it on the menu.
> >
> > If you want auto-fill-mode to be on when in a particular mode you
> > need to add this to the mode's hook.
> >
> > (add-hook 'foo-mode-hook  'auto-fill-mode)
> >
> > If you want it on for every buffer regardless of mode you could try
> > putting it on the after-change-major-mode-hook but that won't cover
> > fundamental mode.
> >
> > Personally I use (global-set-key [f12] 'auto-fill-mode) so I can
> > toggle it on and off with a single key no matter what mode I'm in.
>
> I donot know how it is done, but in auctex (latex) mode the following
> lines at the end of a file set the column width to 90 columns.
>
> %%% Local Variables
> %%% mode: latex
> %%% fill-column: 90
> %%% End:

That would be permanent only for the file you've put that in.

It seems different people have different views on what the OP is
asking.
1) turning auto-fill-mode on
2) setting the column at which wrapping occurs

To set the fill-column globally (for all files that don't have
Local Variables (described above) or a mode-hook etc. use
M-x customize-option <ret> fill-column <ret>