all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* global key not binding
@ 2005-08-10  8:15 Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-08-10  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

(global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c b
(global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c p

I get symbol function definition is void ...

another point:
$info gcc puts out the info pages.
but in emacs C-h i m gcc does not show anything about gcc.
any problem I need to fix to see the info for gcc.

thanks

* Re: global key not binding
@ 2005-08-10  8:24 ` Peter Dyballa
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-08-10  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.08.2005 um 10:15 schrieb Baloff:

> $info gcc puts out the info pages.
> but in emacs C-h i m gcc does not show anything about gcc.
> any problem I need to fix to see the info for gcc.

Emacs needs the dir directory files in the info directories to know
what info files exist there.

--
Greetings

   Pete

When you meet a master swordsman,
show him your sword.
When you meet a man who is not a poet,
do not show him your poem.
                 -- Rinzai, ninth century Zen master

* Re: global key not binding
@ 2005-08-10 13:41 ` Joe Corneli
       [not found] ` <mailman.3223.1123681667.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-08-10 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Hello

   (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c b
   (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c p

   I get symbol function definition is void ...

That is to be expected.

,----
| global-set-key is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `subr'.
| (global-set-key key command)
|
| Give key a global binding as command.
`----

Try

(global-set-key "\C-cb" (lambda ()
                          (interactive)
                          (copy-region-as-kill (point-min)
                                               (point-max))))

* Re: global key not binding
       [not found] ` <mailman.3223.1123681667.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-08-10 19:12   ` Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-08-10 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

>    Hello
>
>    (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c b
>    (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c p
>
>    I get symbol function definition is void ...
>
> That is to be expected.

why then this work:
(Global-set-key "\C-cl" "\C-a\C-@\C-e\M-w") ;copy ling C-c l

> ,----
> | global-set-key is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `subr'.
> | (global-set-key key command)
> |
> | Give key a global binding as command.
> `----
>
> Try
>
> (global-set-key "\C-cb" (lambda ()
>                           (interactive)
>                           (copy-region-as-kill (point-min)
>                                                (point-max))))

* Re: global key not binding
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.3223.1123681667.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-08-10 19:20 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.3194.1123662827.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.3273.1123702161.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-08-10 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff wrote:
 > (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c b
 > (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c p
 >
 > I get symbol function definition is void ...

It works for me.  (Note that the 2 lines are identical, except for the
comments -- is there a typo in there?)

To find out where the error occurs:
M-x set-variable RET debug-on-error RET t RET

,----[ C-h v Info-directory-list RET ]

`----

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: global key not binding
@ 2005-08-10 19:20     ` Joe Corneli
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3280.1123704053.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-08-10 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

   >    (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c b
   >    (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c p
   >
   >    I get symbol function definition is void ...
   >
   > That is to be expected.

   why then this work:
   (global-set-key "\C-cl" "\C-a\C-@\C-e\M-w") ;copy ling C-c l

OK, I guess it isn't to be expected.  The question boils down to the
behavior of the function `define-key', which is what `global-set-key'
calls (without any intervening typechecking) and which _does_ allow
"strings treated as macros".  So, I have no idea.

Evaluating this works:

(execute-kbd-macro "\C-xh\M-w")

But anyway, my hint should work for you.  Maybe someone else
can say whether you found a bug or not.

* Re: global key not binding
@ 2005-08-10 19:48       ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3280.1123704053.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-08-10 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Corneli wrote:

>   >    (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c b
>   >    (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c p
>   >
>   >    I get symbol function definition is void ...
>   >
>   > That is to be expected.
>   >

>   why then this work:
>   (global-set-key "\C-cl" "\C-a\C-@\C-e\M-w") ;copy ling C-c l
>
>OK, I guess it isn't to be expected.  The question boils down to the
>behavior of the function `define-key', which is what `global-set-key'
>calls (without any intervening typechecking) and which _does_ allow
>"strings treated as macros".  So, I have no idea.
>
>Evaluating this works:
>
>(execute-kbd-macro "\C-xh\M-w")
>
>But anyway, my hint should work for you.  Maybe someone else
>can say whether you found a bug or not.

I just checked in the CVS version of Emacs. It seems to work.

I saw in one of the messages "Global-set-key" instead of
"global-set-key" but I guess that was just a typo?

* Re: global key not binding
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3280.1123704053.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-08-10 20:51         ` Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-08-10 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> Joe Corneli wrote:
>
> >   >    (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c b
> >   >    (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c p
> >   >   >    I get symbol function definition is void ...
> >   >   > That is to be expected.
> >   >

> >   why then this work:
> >   (global-set-key "\C-cl" "\C-a\C-@\C-e\M-w") ;copy ling C-c l
> >
> >OK, I guess it isn't to be expected.  The question boils down to the
> >behavior of the function `define-key', which is what `global-set-key'
> >calls (without any intervening typechecking) and which _does_ allow
> >"strings treated as macros".  So, I have no idea.
> >
> >Evaluating this works:
> >
> >(execute-kbd-macro "\C-xh\M-w")
> >
> >But anyway, my hint should work for you.  Maybe someone else
> >can say whether you found a bug or not.
> >
> I just checked in the CVS version of Emacs. It seems to work.

sorry, what is CVS version and my version under debian. ok newbi.
thanks

@ 2005-08-10 21:13   ` Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-08-10 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 10.08.2005 um 10:15 schrieb Baloff:
>
> > $info gcc puts out the info pages.
> > but in emacs C-h i m gcc does not show anything about gcc.
> > any problem I need to fix to see the info for gcc.
> >

> Emacs needs the dir directory files in the info directories to know
> what info files exist there.

Thanks

I fond some info about how to fix my problem but needing some help in
implementing the solution.
I don't have INFOPATH in my $env output.
my paths.el is there but I don't understand it much.

I need to add this (/var/lib/dpkg/info/) to the list in the variable
(Info-directory-list)

C-h v Info-directory-list list does not have it, so I think I have to
add it.
how should I do it?

thanks

* Re: global key not binding
@ 2005-08-10 21:28     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3315.1123715476.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-08-10 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff wrote:
 > I need to add this (/var/lib/dpkg/info/) to the list in the variable
 > (Info-directory-list)
 >
 > C-h v Info-directory-list list does not have it, so I think I have to
 > add it.
 > how should I do it?

(setq Info-default-directory-list
       (cons "/var/lib/dpkg/info/" Info-default-directory-list))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: global key not binding
@ 2005-08-10 22:32     ` Henrik Enberg
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3315.1123715476.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2005-08-10 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Baloff <washdc@wash.edu>
> Date: 11 Aug 2005 07:13:14 +1000
>
> I need to add this (/var/lib/dpkg/info/) to the list in the variable
> (Info-directory-list)

No you don't.  That's the Debian package systems state files. They have
nothing to do with info documents.

* Re: global key not binding
@ 2005-08-10 23:11         ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-08-10 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Joe Corneli wrote:

   >   >    (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c b
   >   >    (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c p
   >   >
   >   >    I get symbol function definition is void ...
   >   >
   >   > That is to be expected.
   >   >

   >   why then this work:
   >   (global-set-key "\C-cl" "\C-a\C-@\C-e\M-w") ;copy ling C-c l
   >
   >OK, I guess it isn't to be expected.  The question boils down to the
   >behavior of the function `define-key', which is what `global-set-key'
   >calls (without any intervening typechecking) and which _does_ allow
   >"strings treated as macros".  So, I have no idea.
   >
   >Evaluating this works:
   >
   >(execute-kbd-macro "\C-xh\M-w")
   >
   >But anyway, my hint should work for you.  Maybe someone else
   >can say whether you found a bug or not.

   I just checked in the CVS version of Emacs. It seems to work.

Crikey... I'm 99% sure it was NOT working earlier today (here with
with the same recent version of Emacs, but not same image).

* Re: global key not binding
@ 2005-08-11 22:06         ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2005-08-11 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Baloff <washdc@wash.edu>
> Date: 12 Aug 2005 08:10:45 +1000
>
> Henrik Enberg <henrik.enberg@telia.com> writes:
>
> > > From: Baloff <washdc@wash.edu>
> > > Date: 11 Aug 2005 07:13:14 +1000
> > >
> > > I need to add this (/var/lib/dpkg/info/) to the list in the variable
> > > (Info-directory-list)
> >
> > No you don't.  That's the Debian package systems state files. They have
> > nothing to do with info documents.
>
> well, I did not know any better way to find out where the info doc for
> gcc than this:
> $dpkg gcc | grep info

Have you installed the gcc-*-doc packages?  the files should end up in
/usr/share/info

* Re: global key not binding
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3315.1123715476.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-08-11 22:10       ` Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-08-11 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Enberg <henrik.enberg@telia.com> writes:

> > From: Baloff <washdc@wash.edu>
> > Date: 11 Aug 2005 07:13:14 +1000
> >
> > I need to add this (/var/lib/dpkg/info/) to the list in the variable
> > (Info-directory-list)
>
> No you don't.  That's the Debian package systems state files. They have
> nothing to do with info documents.

well, I did not know any better way to find out where the info doc for
gcc than this:
$dpkg gcc | grep info
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gcc-3.3-base.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gcc-3.3-base.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gcc-3.3.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gcc-3.3.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gcc.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gcc.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gcc.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gcc.preinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/gcc.prerm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgcc1.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgcc1.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgcc1.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgcc1.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libgcc1.shlibs

* Re: global key not binding
       [not found] ` <mailman.3273.1123702161.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-08-14  8:57   ` Baloff
From: Baloff @ 2005-08-14  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Baloff wrote:
>
>  > (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c b
>  > (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c p
>  >
>  > I get symbol function definition is void ...
>
> It works for me.  (Note that the 2 lines are identical, except for the
> comments -- is there a typo in there?)
>
> To find out where the error occurs:
> M-x set-variable RET debug-on-error RET t RET

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "The mark is not set now")
  call-interactively(kill-ring-save)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

* Re: global key not binding
@ 2005-08-15 18:03     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-08-15 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Baloff wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>

>>Baloff wrote:
>>
>> > (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c b
>> > (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c p
>> >
>> > I get symbol function definition is void ...
>>
>>It works for me.  (Note that the 2 lines are identical, except for the
>>comments -- is there a typo in there?)
>>
>>To find out where the error occurs:
>>M-x set-variable RET debug-on-error RET t RET
>>

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "The mark is not set now")
>   call-interactively(kill-ring-save)
>   execute-extended-command(nil)
>   call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

`C-x h' should set the mark.  The doc string for `M-w' mentions
Transient Mark mode, but even with that turned on I couldn't replicate
the error.

Do you get the error in a vanilla Emacs (emacs -q --no-site-file),
evaluating the global-set-key form in the *scratch* buffer?

--
Kevin Rodgers