all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cannot open termcap database file for emacs?
@ 2005-07-30 17:48 Erik the Red
From: Erik the Red @ 2005-07-30 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using Ubuntu Hoary. I tried to install emacs via source.

emacs is definitely installed because a man page comes up when I type
"man emacs".

However, if I try to run emacs, it gives me this error message in bash:

emacs: Cannot open termcap database file

Why can't I run emacs?

* Re: Cannot open termcap database file for emacs?
@ 2005-07-30 18:31 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.2126.1122748577.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-07-30 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.07.2005 um 19:48 schrieb Erik the Red:

> emacs is definitely installed because a man page comes up when I type
> "man emacs".

That's no proof: a man page can exist without the binary, and
viceversa. Try 'which emacs'!

> However, if I try to run emacs, it gives me this error message in bash:
>
> emacs: Cannot open termcap database file

You have two choices: run emacs as an X client inside its own window
(for which you need to launch X11 and set the environment variable
DISPLAY) or you set in your terminal emulations the environment
variable TERMCAP and give it as value the absolute to the file
termcap.src inside the emacs distribution.

If Emacs has to run without its own windows inside a terminal emulation
it needs to know some properties of this terminal to move the cursor,
'split' the terminal to create buffers and the mode-line with
mini-buffer, etc. This information is taken from the termcap file.
Since modern UNIX systems rely on TERMINFO Emacs seems to be like an
elderly woman that once, before the war, used to pay in shilling and
pence and guineas (in UK), it still needs TERMCAP, which once was the
file /etc/termcap. This file has become part of the Emacs distribution
as the file termcap.src, usually in
/usr/local/share/emacs/<version>/etc/termcap.src.

This file might be to old, not knowing your modern terminal emulation.
You can use the terminfo utilities (tic, infotocap, toe, captoinfo,
infocmp, ...) to convert the most needed terminfo entries to termcap
format and store it in some private dot file, $HOME/.termcap for
example. Start with 'man 5 terminfo', 'man 5 term' to learn some basics
-- if Ubuntu doesn't provide them, debian will have it. 'apropos
termcap' and 'apropos terminfo' might give you some more appropriate
pointers.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Der Bezug einer Zeitung oder der Kauf eines Buches gibt niemand das
Recht, an die Verfasserinnen von Artikeln oder Büchern dreiste Briefe
zu schreiben. (Friedrich Sieburg)

@ 2005-07-30 22:01   ` Erik the Red
From: Erik the Red @ 2005-07-30 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found the termcap.src file in /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3/etc

So, in order for emacs to work, this termcap must be converted to a
terminfo?

* Re: Cannot open termcap database file for emacs?
@ 2005-07-31  8:52     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-07-31  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 31.07.2005 um 00:01 schrieb Erik the Red:

> I found the termcap.src file in /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3/etc
>
> So, in order for emacs to work, this termcap must be converted to a
> terminfo?

No, it's in the right format for Emacs. Just in case you want or need
some extras for Emacs in terminal you'll need to convert this
terminal's entry from TERMINFO to TERMCAP.

--
Greetings

   Pete
                       ~  o
                        ~_\\_/\
                       ~  O   O

@ 2005-08-01  0:14 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2005-08-01  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Erik the Red" <the.g.man.x@gmail.com>
> Date: 30 Jul 2005 10:48:31 -0700
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Hoary. I tried to install emacs via source.
>
> emacs is definitely installed because a man page comes up when I type
> "man emacs".
>
> However, if I try to run emacs, it gives me this error message in bash:
>
> emacs: Cannot open termcap database file

"apt-get install libncurses5-dev" and then recompile Emacs.

Or run emacs inside screen