all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* cc-mode question
@ 2005-06-19 21:33 Evgeniy
From: Evgeniy @ 2005-06-19 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

I have such problem with emacs from cvs:

with simple code:

#include <vector>

typedef std::vector<int> IntList;

int main()
{
  IntList l;
  return 0;
}

it subscribe underscore red line almost all code begin from
"typedef std::vector<int>" construction,
can anybody tell me which part of emacs responsible for this behavior,
and have anyone idea how can I fix this?

--
/Evgeniy

* Re: cc-mode question
       [not found] <mailman.481.1119202298.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-20 18:08 ` Alan Mackenzie
       [not found]   ` <mailman.670.1119368608.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-06-20 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Evgeniy <dushistov@mail.ru> wrote on Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:33:24 +0000:
> Hello.

> I have such problem with emacs from cvs:

> with simple code:

> #include <vector>

> typedef std::vector<int> IntList;

> int main()
> {
>   IntList l;
>   return 0;
> }

> it subscribe underscore red line almost all code begin from
> "typedef std::vector<int>" construction,

> can anybody tell me which part of emacs responsible for this behavior,
> and have anyone idea how can I fix this?

Well, confirm to us that you've checked the obvious things:
What operating system are you running?
How did you start your Emacs session?  (Hopefully, emacs -q --no-site-file)
Which emacs version?  (M-x emacs-version)
Which CC Mode version?  (M-x c-version)
Which major mode are you in?
Which minor modes have you got enabled?  (hopefully, very few.)
Have you got font-lock-mode enabled, and if so, how did you enable it?

If answering these questions doesn't suggest the solution to the problem,
could you do a C-c C-b (`c-submit-bug-report') and post the information
which gets displayed.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

@ 2005-06-20 23:31 ` drkm
       [not found]   ` <mailman.672.1119368619.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: drkm @ 2005-06-20 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Evgeniy <dushistov@mail.ru> writes:

> with simple code:

> [...]

> it subscribe underscore red line almost all code begin from
> "typedef std::vector<int>" construction,

  Do you use CEDET (for example via ECB)?

--drkm

* Re: cc-mode question
       [not found]   ` <mailman.672.1119368619.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-21 16:23     ` drkm
       [not found]       ` <mailman.814.1119458909.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: drkm @ 2005-06-21 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Evgeniy <dushistov@mail.ru> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 01:31:19AM +0200, drkm wrote:

>>   Do you use CEDET (for example via ECB)?

> I use ecb, but I don't use cedet.

  Huh?  Try 'M-x global-semantic-show-unmatched-syntax-mode'
(when you see the problem).

--drkm

* Re: cc-mode question
@ 2005-06-21 19:07   ` Evgeniy
       [not found]   ` <mailman.670.1119368608.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Evgeniy @ 2005-06-21 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 06:08:07PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Well, confirm to us that you've checked the obvious things:
> What operating system are you running?
$uname -a
Linux 2.6.11-gentoo-r11 #1 Tue Jun 21 11:28:12 UTC 2005 i686 AMD
Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

> How did you start your Emacs session?  (Hopefully, emacs -q --no-site-file)
$emacs

> Which emacs version?  (M-x emacs-version)
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.7) of
2005-06-18 on rain

> Which CC Mode version?  (M-x c-version)
this command don't work

> Which major mode are you in?
> Which minor modes have you got enabled?  (hopefully, very few.)
???

> Have you got font-lock-mode enabled, and if so, how did you enable it?
(custom-set-variables
	'(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))

/Evgeniy

* Re: cc-mode question
       [not found]   ` <mailman.672.1119368619.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-21 19:15   ` Evgeniy
From: Evgeniy @ 2005-06-21 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-06-22 17:47         ` drkm
From: drkm @ 2005-06-22 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Evgeniy <dushistov@mail.ru> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 06:23:07PM +0200, drkm wrote:

>>   Huh?  Try 'M-x global-semantic-show-unmatched-syntax-mode'
>> (when you see the problem).

> This is help, but correct me if I don't right,
> this prevent emacs of showing real not right syntax,
> like forgotten ';' and so on?

  Yes.  This feature is 'semantic-show-unmatched-syntax-mode',
from Semantic, from CEDET.  But it doesn't always work, and
underlines sometime large portions of entirely correct buffers.
So I think it's more disturbing than helping.

--drkm

* Re: cc-mode question
       [not found]       ` <mailman.814.1119458909.2857.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-22 20:33       ` Evgeniy
From: Evgeniy @ 2005-06-22 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-06-25  7:54     ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-06-25  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Evgeniy <dushistov@mail.ru> wrote on Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:07:54 +0000:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 06:08:07PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> Well, confirm to us that you've checked the obvious things:
>> What operating system are you running?
> $uname -a
> Linux 2.6.11-gentoo-r11 #1 Tue Jun 21 11:28:12 UTC 2005 i686 AMD
> Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

>> How did you start your Emacs session?  (Hopefully, emacs -q --no-site-file)
> $emacs

>> Which emacs version?  (M-x emacs-version)
> GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.7) of
> 2005-06-18 on rain

>> Which CC Mode version?  (M-x c-version)
> this command don't work

It seems you haven't got CC Mode loaded at all.  Try M-x c-mode.

>> Which major mode are you in?
>> Which minor modes have you got enabled?  (hopefully, very few.)
> ???

The major mode is something like "C Mode" or "Text Mode".  Usually it
gets set by Emacs when you load the file.  Minor modes are "add on"
features, things like font-lock-mode (which you've got) or
auto-fill-mode.

--

@ 2006-09-13 15:03 jronald
From: jronald @ 2006-09-13 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

The command (c-toggle-auto-hungry-mode 1) doesn't take effect, as I wrote in
the following context:

(require 'cc-mode)
(require 'cc-cmds)  ;;I still don't know if it is neccesary
(c-toggle-auto-hungry-mode 1)

* Re: cc-mode question
@ 2006-09-13 16:47 ` robert.thorpe
From: robert.thorpe @ 2006-09-13 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

jronald wrote:
> The command (c-toggle-auto-hungry-mode 1) doesn't take effect, as I wrote in
> the following context:
>
> (require 'cc-mode)
> (require 'cc-cmds)  ;;I still don't know if it is neccesary
> (c-toggle-auto-hungry-mode 1)

That should work, but what you're doing here is loading CC mode in
order to configure it. This isn't necessarily the best thing to do.
Normally Emacs by itself contains on a few modes at startup in order to
make startup time reasonable.  When you load a C file then Emacs loads
all of CC mode.

The best way to configure it is to tell CC mode to run a bit of code
when it loads.  This is a hook.  You can do this directly with Elisp,
alternatively customize knows how to do it.

Go to C customize group, pick "CC mode common hook", select "show",
select "INS" and type (c-toggle-auto-hungry-mode 1)

In elisp you can do (add-hook 'cc-mode-hook (lambda ()
(c-toggle-auto-hungry-mode 1))), which is equivalent.