all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Word Boundary problem with regex
@ 2005-06-05 22:24 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-06-05 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In case of word wrapping the text between (but not including) the lines
of asterisks should be on one line:

I am using the following expression
\\([^][ \t\r\n{}()]+\\):[ ]*\\(d\\(ef\\|oes\\)\\|func\\(tion\\)\\|has\\|sub?\\)

To colorize the following words: "def" "does" "func" "function" "has"
"sub" - which define subroutines.

When I type the following:  test: def[val][print val], "def" is
colorized properly. One would exect that adding a letter to "def" would
turn off the target color, but does not. This suggests to me that
I have not properly defined the word boundary in the expression above.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

FYI: This is for the rebol programming language (www.rebol.com), it
     should be noted that in lispish fashion, a subroutine is an
     expression, not an immutable control structure.

thanks
tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>

* Re: Word Boundary problem with regex
       [not found] <mailman.3412.1118010266.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-05 22:55 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-06-05 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> In case of word wrapping the text between (but not including) the lines
> of asterisks should be on one line:
>
> I am using the following expression
> \\([^][ \t\r\n{}()]+\\):[ ]*\\(d\\(ef\\|oes\\)\\|func\\(tion\\)\\|has\\|sub?\\)
>
> To colorize the following words: "def" "does" "func" "function" "has"
> "sub" - which define subroutines.
>
> When I type the following:  test: def[val][print val], "def" is
> colorized properly. One would exect that adding a letter to "def" would
> turn off the target color, but does not. This suggests to me that
> I have not properly defined the word boundary in the expression above.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
>
> FYI: This is for the rebol programming language (www.rebol.com), it
>      should be noted that in lispish fashion, a subroutine is an
>      expression, not an immutable control structure.

Just add "\\>" at the end.

You don't need "\\<" at the beginning since you're matching spaces and
special characters.

Until real software engineering is developed, the next best practice
is to develop with a dynamic system that has extreme late binding in
all aspects. The first system to really do this in an important way
is Lisp. -- Alan Kay

@ 2005-06-06  8:37 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2005-06-06  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> In case of word wrapping the text between (but not including) the lines
> of asterisks should be on one line:
>
> I am using the following expression
> \\([^][ \t\r\n{}()]+\\):[ ]*\\(d\\(ef\\|oes\\)\\|func\\(tion\\)\\|has\\|sub?\\)
>
> To colorize the following words: "def" "does" "func" "function" "has"
> "sub" - which define subroutines.
>
> When I type the following:  test: def[val][print val], "def" is
> colorized properly. One would exect that adding a letter to "def" would
> turn off the target color, but does not. This suggests to me that
> I have not properly defined the word boundary in the expression above.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
>
> FYI: This is for the rebol programming language (www.rebol.com), it
>      should be noted that in lispish fashion, a subroutine is an
>      expression, not an immutable control structure.
>
> thanks
> tim
>
> --
> Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
>       http://www.alaska-internet-solutions.com

I'm not entirely clear on exactly what it is your trying to match, but
would recommend having a look at regexp-opt as it is particularly
useful for defining regexp for font-locking. A reasonably clear
example of its use can be found in sql.el - the sql-mode which comes
bundled with emacs.

HTH

Tim

,----[ C-h f regexp-opt RET ]

`----

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Word Boundary problem with regex
@ 2005-06-06 16:56   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-06-06 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> [050606 01:22]:

> I'm not entirely clear on exactly what it is your trying to match, but
> would recommend having a look at regexp-opt as it is particularly
> useful for defining regexp for font-locking. A reasonably clear
> example of its use can be found in sql.el - the sql-mode which comes
> bundled with emacs.
>
> HTH
>
> Tim
>
> ,----[ C-h f regexp-opt RET ]
> | regexp-opt is a compiled Lisp function in `regexp-opt'.
> | (regexp-opt STRINGS &optional PAREN)
> |
> | Return a regexp to match a string in STRINGS.
> | Each string should be unique in STRINGS and should not contain any regexps,
> | quoted or not.  If optional PAREN is non-nil, ensure that the returned regexp
> | is enclosed by at least one regexp grouping construct.
> | The returned regexp is typically more efficient than the equivalent regexp:
> |
> |  (let ((open (if PAREN "\\(" "")) (close (if PAREN "\\)" "")))
> |    (concat open (mapconcat 'regexp-quote STRINGS "\\|") close))
> |
> | If PAREN is `words', then the resulting regexp is additionally surrounded
> | by \< and \>.
> `----

     Thanks Tim (see the reply to this thread from Pascal)
     Your tip on using regexp-opt will be very helpful for
     this regex noob.

     cheers
     tim
--