all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs Menu Bar Question
@ 2005-06-02 16:41 Paulie
From: Paulie @ 2005-06-02 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I am just learning Linux and am trying to get to grips with emacs - so far
so good.  I use Ctl/Alt/F1 to go into terminal mode and use xemacs - no
problem, plain screen, keyboard commands only.  When I try emacs I get the
menu bar (File Edit Options etc) at the top of the screen but don't have a
mouse attached.  Is there a way to access the menu in a similar way as I
might in Windows (Alt key).

TIA, Paulie

* Re: Emacs Menu Bar Question
@ 2005-06-02 16:59 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-06-02 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Paulie" <pstuyv-no-to-spam@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> I am just learning Linux and am trying to get to grips with emacs -
> so far so good.  I use Ctl/Alt/F1 to go into terminal mode and use
> xemacs - no problem, plain screen, keyboard commands only.  When I
> try emacs I get the menu bar (File Edit Options etc) at the top of
> the screen but don't have a mouse attached.  Is there a way to
> access the menu in a similar way as I might in Windows (Alt key).

F10, but be prepared to hate it.

* Re: Emacs Menu Bar Question
@ 2005-06-02 17:32   ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-06-02 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> "Paulie" <pstuyv-no-to-spam@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I am just learning Linux and am trying to get to grips with emacs -
>> so far so good.  I use Ctl/Alt/F1 to go into terminal mode and use
>> xemacs - no problem, plain screen, keyboard commands only.  When I
>> try emacs I get the menu bar (File Edit Options etc) at the top of
>> the screen but don't have a mouse attached.  Is there a way to
>> access the menu in a similar way as I might in Windows (Alt key).
>
> F10, but be prepared to hate it.

Yes, put this in your ~/.emacs:

    (menu-bar-mode 0)

The rule for today:
Touch my tail, I shred your hand.
New rule tomorrow.

* Re: Emacs Menu Bar Question
@ 2005-06-02 18:31 ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-06-02 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Paulie <pstuyv-no-to-spam@yahoo.co.uk> [050602 08:55]:
> Hi all,
>
> I am just learning Linux and am trying to get to grips with emacs - so far
> so good.  I use Ctl/Alt/F1 to go into terminal mode and use xemacs - no
> problem, plain screen, keyboard commands only.  When I try emacs I get the
> menu bar (File Edit Options etc) at the top of the screen but don't have a
> mouse attached.  Is there a way to access the menu in a similar way as I
> might in Windows (Alt key).

 Hi Paulie:
 I'm brand new to GNU emacs myself (first week of usage), but I use
 tmm-menubar. I think it is bound by default to alt-` (backtick), but
 use my own binding.
 It is a Text-mode emulation of looking and choosing from a menubar,
 and is not "windows-like" but if you try it, you may like it.
 I do. I prefer it to the Xemacs 'accelerate-menu.

 HTH
 tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>

* Re: Emacs Menu Bar Question
@ 2005-06-02 19:22     ` Paulie
From: Paulie @ 2005-06-02 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

<snip>

> F10, but be prepared to hate it.

I already do after 10 minutes - but thanks anyway.

Paulie