all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs or xemacs?
@ 2002-09-10 16:18 Aurelio
From: Aurelio @ 2002-09-10 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!!! First of all, you must be patient with my english writing...
Thanks!!!!
I am going to use emcas. I usually use VIM but now it´s time to
change... And here´s my first ask: emacs or xemacs??? What is the
difference?? I think emacs21 have a good graphic display... But is
xemacs more usefull???
Thanks

* Re: emacs or xemacs?
       [not found] <mailman.1031674809.15931.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-10 17:34 ` Alex Schroeder
From: Alex Schroeder @ 2002-09-10 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Aurelio" <arele@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Hello!!! First of all, you must be patient with my english writing...
> Thanks!!!!
> I am going to use emcas. I usually use VIM but now it´s time to
> change... And here´s my first ask: emacs or xemacs??? What is the
> difference?? I think emacs21 have a good graphic display... But is
> xemacs more usefull???

Nobody knows.  They are both actively developped.  You can try
news://alt.religion.emacs for the definite answer.  :)

Alex.

* Re: emacs or xemacs?
@ 2002-09-10 18:57   ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2002-09-10 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Schroeder <alex@emacswiki.org> writes:

> "Aurelio" <arele@wanadoo.es> writes:
>
> > Hello!!! First of all, you must be patient with my english writing...
> > Thanks!!!!
> > I am going to use emcas. I usually use VIM but now it´s time to
> > change... And here´s my first ask: emacs or xemacs??? What is the
> > difference?? I think emacs21 have a good graphic display... But is
> > xemacs more usefull???
>
> Nobody knows.  They are both actively developped.  You can try
> news://alt.religion.emacs for the definite answer.  :)

Hey, no HTML!  How did you manage to remove it in your reply?

Lute.

--
(spook) => "Yukon Panama lock picking"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")

* Re: emacs or xemacs?
@ 2002-09-10 19:05   ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-09-10 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Hello!!! First of all, you must be patient with my english writing...
>> Thanks!!!!
>> I am going to use emcas. I usually use VIM but now it´s time to
>> change... And here´s my first ask: emacs or xemacs??? What is the
>> difference?? I think emacs21 have a good graphic display... But is
>> xemacs more usefull???
> Nobody knows.  They are both actively developped.  You can try
> news://alt.religion.emacs for the definite answer.  :)

C'mon Alex!
Everybody knows that Emacs rules!

* Re: emacs or xemacs?
@ 2002-09-10 20:04     ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2002-09-10 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:

> Alex Schroeder <alex@emacswiki.org> writes:
>
>> "Aurelio" <arele@wanadoo.es> writes:
>>
>> > I am going to use emcas. I usually use VIM but now it´s time to
>> > change... And here´s my first ask: emacs or xemacs??? What is the
>> > difference?? I think emacs21 have a good graphic display... But is
>> > xemacs more usefull???
>>
>> Nobody knows.  They are both actively developped.  You can try
>> news://alt.religion.emacs for the definite answer.  :)
>
> Hey, no HTML!  How did you manage to remove it in your reply?

The OP sent a multipart message with both html and plain text.  In Gnus
you could set `mm-discouraged-alternatives' to get rid of crappy html.

--
Booting... /vmemacs.el

* Re: emacs or xemacs?
@ 2002-09-10 20:40       ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2002-09-10 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Enberg <henrik+news@enberg.org> writes:

[...]

> The OP sent a multipart message with both html and plain text.  In Gnus
> you could set `mm-discouraged-alternatives' to get rid of crappy html.

Ah yes, that works.  I learned my new thing for today.  Thanks.

Lute.

--
(spook) => "USCODE colonel ASO"

@ 2002-09-11  7:51 ` Adam
From: Adam @ 2002-09-11  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 17:18, Aurelio wrote:

> Hello!!! First of all, you must be patient with my english writing...
> Thanks!!!!
> I am going to use emcas. I usually use VIM but now it´s time to
> change... And here´s my first ask: emacs or xemacs??? What is the
> difference?? I think emacs21 have a good graphic display... But is
> xemacs more usefull???
> Thanks

If you have to use a Windoze system, XEmacs is easier to install. But if
you're using Cygwin it's not difficult to install GNU Emacs. On a proper
OS, they're both about the same to install. (Most Linux distros come with
both now.)

But GNU Emacs is the One True Emacs!

* RE: emacs or xemacs?
@ 2002-09-11  8:21   ` Aurelio
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Aurelio @ 2002-09-11  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I am running Debian 3.0 testing... So, I have no problems to find
the packages... Ok!!! I will try Gnu emacs21... Thanks!!!!

* RE: emacs or xemacs?
@ 2002-09-11  8:21   ` Aurelio
From: Aurelio @ 2002-09-11  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-09-11  8:34   ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-09-11  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, a24061@void.yahoo.void.com wrote:

>  On Tuesday 10 September 2002 17:18, Aurelio wrote:
>
> > Hello!!! First of all, you must be patient with my english writing...
> > Thanks!!!!
> > I am going to use emcas. I usually use VIM but now it´s time to
> > change... And here´s my first ask: emacs or xemacs??? What is the
> > difference?? I think emacs21 have a good graphic display... But is
> > xemacs more usefull???
> > Thanks
>
>  If you have to use a Windoze system, XEmacs is easier to install. But if
>  you're using Cygwin it's not difficult to install GNU Emacs. On a proper
>  OS, they're both about the same to install. (Most Linux distros come with
>  both now.)

AFAIK this not correct: XEmacs has this nifty net-installer ported from Cygwin
to the needs of XEmacs whereas GNU Emacs must still be installed by
downloading one big archive (regardless of source-distrib or precompiled
binaries), extracing it, reading the READMe and so on...

Though i prefer GNU Emacs as editor IMHO the installation of XEmacs is much
more convenient than GNU Emacs (ok, i must admit, downloading the archive,
extracting it and some small steps more are not really difficult but
nevertheless.... :-)

Of course all this is only related to Windows systems!

Ciao,
Klaus

>  But GNU Emacs is the One True Emacs!

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: emacs or xemacs?
@ 2002-09-11 10:35     ` Sacha Chua
From: Sacha Chua @ 2002-09-11 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Berndl <Klaus.Berndl@raibau.raiffeisen.at> writes:

> AFAIK this not correct: XEmacs has this nifty net-installer ported from Cygwin
> to the needs of XEmacs whereas GNU Emacs must still be installed by
> downloading one big archive (regardless of source-distrib or precompiled
> binaries), extracing it, reading the READMe and so on...

apt-get install emacs21

.. and then apt-get install any of the Emacs packages I want, or
download the .els or source archives and play with them myself.

I love Debian. =)

I understand that the binary distribution of Emacs is also easy to
install if you're using RPMs.

--
Sacha Chua <sacha@free.net.ph> - 4 BS CS Ateneo geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, wearables, teaching compsci

* Re: emacs or xemacs?
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-09-11 21:36   ` Rodney Sparapani
From: Rodney Sparapani @ 2002-09-11 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

As far as installation goes, I'd definitely say that XEmacs is easier.
 Especially, for packages and when you run into problems.  But, I use
both now.

--
Rodney Sparapani              Medical College of Wisconsin
Sr. Biostatistician           Patient Care & Outcomes Research

* Re: emacs or xemacs?
@ 2002-09-11 22:25     ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2002-09-11 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 Sep 2002 10:34:06 +0200 Klaus Berndl wrote:

Klaus> AFAIK this not correct: XEmacs has this nifty net-installer
Klaus> ported from Cygwin to the needs of XEmacs whereas GNU Emacs
Klaus> must still be installed by downloading one big archive
Klaus> (regardless of source-distrib or precompiled binaries),
Klaus> extracing it, reading the READMe and so on...

Actually Emacs is (3 packages) in the standard Cygwin install nowadays...

Greetings,
Jochen
    Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité                GnuPG key: 44BCCD8E
        Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll

* Re: emacs or xemacs?
@ 2002-09-12  8:29       ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-09-12  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 Sep 2002, Jochen Küpper wrote:

>  On 11 Sep 2002 10:34:06 +0200 Klaus Berndl wrote:
>
>  Klaus> AFAIK this not correct: XEmacs has this nifty net-installer
>  Klaus> ported from Cygwin to the needs of XEmacs whereas GNU Emacs
>  Klaus> must still be installed by downloading one big archive
>  Klaus> (regardless of source-distrib or precompiled binaries),
>  Klaus> extracing it, reading the READMe and so on...
>
>  Actually Emacs is (3 packages) in the standard Cygwin install nowadays...

Oooops... AFAIK there is no official release port of GNU Emacs to Cygwin...
Is this not true anymore?? Is there now an official port of GNU Emacs 21.X to
cygwin (downloadable binaries build with cygwin and installable by the cygwin
setup)?

Ciao,klaus

--

@ 2002-09-12  9:14         ` Zhongtao Zhu
From: Zhongtao Zhu @ 2002-09-12  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Klaus Berndl

Klaus Berndl <Klaus.Berndl@raibau.raiffeisen.at> writes:

> On 11 Sep 2002, Jochen Küpper wrote:
>
> >  On 11 Sep 2002 10:34:06 +0200 Klaus Berndl wrote:
> >
> >  Klaus> AFAIK this not correct: XEmacs has this nifty net-installer
> >  Klaus> ported from Cygwin to the needs of XEmacs whereas GNU Emacs
> >  Klaus> must still be installed by downloading one big archive
> >  Klaus> (regardless of source-distrib or precompiled binaries),
> >  Klaus> extracing it, reading the READMe and so on...
> >
> >  Actually Emacs is (3 packages) in the standard Cygwin install nowadays...
>
> Oooops... AFAIK there is no official release port of GNU Emacs to Cygwin...
> Is this not true anymore?? Is there now an official port of GNU Emacs 21.X to
> cygwin (downloadable binaries build with cygwin and installable by the cygwin
> setup)?
>
> Ciao,klaus

I did find a cygwin release, in a local mirror ftp site, which
contains Emacs-21.2-7 of both its source and pre-complied
binaries. The cygwin as a whole can be net-installed by a setup.exe,
though the default options are set to exclude the Emacs.

You may check it by visiting the wet site of RedHat.
--
Zhongtao Zhu                          Tel: +86 10 6278 2266
Department of Computer, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China

* Re: emacs or xemacs?
@ 2002-09-12 14:23         ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2002-09-12 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Sep 2002 10:29:43 +0200 Klaus Berndl wrote:

Klaus> On 11 Sep 2002, Jochen Küpper wrote:

>> Actually Emacs is (3 packages) in the standard Cygwin install nowadays...

Klaus> Oooops... AFAIK there is no official release port of GNU Emacs
Klaus> to Cygwin... Is this not true anymore?? Is there now an
Klaus> official port of GNU Emacs 21.X to cygwin (downloadable
Klaus> binaries build with cygwin and installable by the cygwin
Klaus> setup)?

Well, what's "offocial"? :)) Emacs is in the standard cygwin package
hirarchy nowadays (but yes, only recently added).

It needs some patching and apparently the company who's employee fixed
it for cygwin is somewhat slow to sign the copyright assignments to
FSF... (Which is not so strange if it's their first time:)

@ 2002-09-12 15:51         ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-09-12 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Oooops... AFAIK there is no official release port of GNU Emacs to Cygwin...
> Is this not true anymore?? Is there now an official port of GNU Emacs 21.X to
> cygwin (downloadable binaries build with cygwin and installable by the cygwin
> setup)?

I built emacs21 on an NT a few months ago---using cygwin tools.. it
had pretty good instructions on how to go about it.

Also, the cygwin install itself probably has an "install emacs"
option--but now sure about that..

* Re: emacs or xemacs?
@ 2002-09-12 19:33           ` maierh
From: maierh @ 2002-09-12 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jochen Küpper" <jochen@unc.edu> writes:

> Klaus> Oooops... AFAIK there is no official release port of GNU Emacs
> Klaus> to Cygwin... Is this not true anymore?? Is there now an
> Klaus> official port of GNU Emacs 21.X to cygwin (downloadable
> Klaus> binaries build with cygwin and installable by the cygwin
> Klaus> setup)?
>
> Well, what's "offocial"? :)) Emacs is in the standard cygwin package
> hirarchy nowadays (but yes, only recently added).
>
> It needs some patching and apparently the company who's employee fixed
> it for cygwin is somewhat slow to sign the copyright assignments to
> FSF... (Which is not so strange if it's their first time:)

Wow. Just tried it:

  In GNU Emacs 21.2 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit)
   of 2002-09-12 on hestia
  configured using `configure  \
    --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sysconfdir=/etc \
    --libexecdir=/usr/sbin --localstatedir=/var \
    --datadir=/usr/share --without-toolkit-scroll-bars'

  Important settings:
    value of $LC_ALL: nil
    value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
    value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
    value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
    value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
    value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
    value of $LC_TIME: nil
    value of $LANG: C
    locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1
    default-enable-multibyte-characters: t
  GNU Emacs 21.2 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit) of 2002-09-12 on hestia

It works really out of the box. Anyway this is not a NTEmacs. This is
a cygwin emacs that is compiled with the cygwin library. NTEmacs is
compiled with the -mno-cygwin flag. The cygwin emacs is a pure X11
emacs. Anyway it might be useful for debugging NTEmacs with gdb. (Do
you remember the long discussion between Eli and Stefan for some
months.)

Harald

* Re: emacs or xemacs?
       [not found] <mailman.1031732603.1996.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-14  8:33 ` A. L. Meyers
From: A. L. Meyers @ 2002-09-14  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Although it may not be perfect, the xemacs package system works
reasonably well and is certainly better than no package system at all,
alas still the case with emacs AFAIK.

My personal hope is that the developers of both emacsen with soon get
over the unicode hump and with unicode as the base get all the other
encodings to work transparently in the background.  A stupid, lazy end
user's dream.  :-)

Lucien
--
If you receive this by error, please delete it and inform the sender.
PGP Key fingerprint=F1C0 D9AE 1B18 1405 4DFA  B4CC 6DC7 FF78 C76E FB15

* Emacs or XEmacs?
@ 2005-05-22 21:14 JS
From: JS @ 2005-05-22 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

What are the difference between Emacs and XEmacs? Will they both run on
WinXP and is one better for something that the other?

* Re: Emacs or XEmacs?
@ 2005-05-22 21:28 ` David Kastrup
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-05-22 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"JS" <dsa.@asdf.com> writes:

> What are the difference between Emacs and XEmacs? Will they both run
> on WinXP and is one better for something that the other?

Pretty much every one agrees one about the difference being that one
looks excessively ugly, is something that the world does not need, has
developers hard to get along with who have an irresponsible release
policy and fail to get to grips with reality.

Unfortunately there is no agreement about which of the two editors is
that (some would even claim the same for both).  So you probably need
to find out yourself.

* Re: Emacs or XEmacs?
@ 2005-05-22 23:30 ` Tim Johnson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-05-22 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

* JS <"dsa."@asdf.com> [050522 13:21]:
> What are the difference between Emacs and XEmacs? Will they both run on
> WinXP and is one better for something that the other?

  I like them both, and <sigh> in a (my) perfect world, the
  best of both would be in one.

  Although my main platform is linux, I've used both on XP.
  Xemacs was slightly easier to install because of the Wise
  kit, but emacs was no big deal, if I recall correctly.

  MTCW
  tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>

* Re: Emacs or XEmacs?
@ 2005-05-23  5:23 ` It's me FKtPp ;)
From: It's me FKtPp ;) @ 2005-05-23  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"JS" <dsa.@asdf.com> writes:

> What are the difference between Emacs and XEmacs? Will they both run on
> WinXP and is one better for something that the other?

CVS version of GNU Emacs offer better multilingual support
--
To reply, remove string `ccol' from the email address.

* RE: Emacs or XEmacs?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-23 16:09 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-05-23 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

    What are the difference between Emacs and XEmacs? Will they both run on
    WinXP and is one better for something that the other?

You might find some help here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsAndXEmacs.

* Re: Emacs or XEmacs?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-23 18:23 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2005-05-23 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

JS <dsa.@asdf.com> wrote on Sun, 22 May 2005 23:14:11 +0200:
> What are the difference between Emacs and XEmacs? Will they both run on
> WinXP and is one better for something that the other?

Hey, you're not a troll, are you?

No, thought not.  So here's an answer:

>From the point of view of a user, there are lots of minor niggly little
differences between them.  There are, I think, some facilities available
on one, but not the other.  But all these differences are _MUCH_ less
than those between either and the rest of the world of editors.  Try them
both: you'll probably end up preferring the first one you tried.

If you're a developer of an Emacs package, the differences are more and
more significant.  If you develop for both, you'll find yourself working
round lots of PITAs.

The philosophy and working style of the two Emacs projects could hardly
be more different, given only that they're both free projects, and this
has caused some friction between them.

Either is better than any other editor.  :-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter