all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Beep when pressing help key
@ 2005-05-09 10:09 Tilo Arens
From: Tilo Arens @ 2005-05-09 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have recently upgraded my Linux box from SuSE 8.2 to 9.2. Since then, when I
press the "Alt Gr" key on my (German) keyboard, there is an anoying beep.
Otherwise, the key works fine. Can anybody help?

Best wishes, Tilo Arens
--
Dr Tilo Arens
Mathematisches Institut II

* Re: Beep when pressing help key
       [not found] <mailman.4401.1115721535.2819.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-05-10 10:51 ` Michael Cadilhac
From: Michael Cadilhac @ 2005-05-10 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tilo Arens <arens@numathics.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have recently upgraded my Linux box from SuSE 8.2 to 9.2. Since
> then, when I press the "Alt Gr" key on my (German) keyboard, there
> is an anoying beep.  Otherwise, the key works fine. Can anybody
> help?
>
> Best wishes, Tilo Arens

  . You can disable all beep with:
    (setq ring-bell-function '(lambda ()))

  . You can set your AltGR key to be an Alt key if you don't use it:
    $ cat .xmodmaprc
    keycode 113 = Alt_L
    $ grep xmodmap .xsession
    xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc

  Anyway, there  must be  a problem somewhere...  Can you show  us the
  content of your *Messages* buffer after a `beep' ?

--
    Michael Cadilhac, a.k.a. Micha [mika] |
                    Epita/LRDE promo 2007 |  Please note that you should

* Beep when pressing help key
@ 2005-05-10 11:08 Tilo Arens
From: Tilo Arens @ 2005-05-10 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have recently upgraded my Linux box from SuSE 8.2 to 9.2. An annoying thing
in Emacs is that since then, when I press the "Alt Gr" key on my (German)
keyboard, there is a beep. Otherwise, the key works fine.

This only occurs in emacs, all other applications perform fine. Can anybody
help?

Best wishes, Tilo Arens
--

@ 2005-05-10 11:14 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-05-10 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 09.05.2005 um 12:09 schrieb Tilo Arens:

> I have recently upgraded my Linux box from SuSE 8.2 to 9.2. Since
> then, when I
> press the "Alt Gr" key on my (German) keyboard, there is an anoying
> beep.
> Otherwise, the key works fine. Can anybody help?

Sure! Try 'xmodmap -pk' to determine your keyboard's new layout under
X, then make AltGr some modifier. 'xmodmap -pm' will show waht you
already have. Under the recent circumstances try in GNU Emacs 'C-h k'
and then press AltGr. Now you know what this key is doing to GNU Emacs.

Here is some syntax for a possible ~/.xmodmaprc:

! (for powerbooks, where enter is next to right Clover)
!!keycode 60 = Meta_R
!!keycode 69 = Meta_R
!!keycode 63 = Alt_L
!!keycode 66 = Meta_L
!!
!!clear Mod1
!!clear Mod2
!!
!!add Mod1 = Alt_L Alt_R
!!add Mod2 = Meta_L Meta_R

In ~/.xinitrc you can put:

xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc

'man xmodmap' should help more.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

The box said "Use Windows 95 or better," so I got a Macintosh