all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs on freebsd, space limitation
@ 2005-04-20 15:54 Angelina Carlton
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2005-04-20 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I have a freind with a shell account on a machine running FreeBSD
4.9-RELEASE.

He has 50mb of diskspace and no root privledges. Emacs is not
installed, nor Vim.

pico and ee are the onely editors available, however he is allowed to
compile anything he wants.

He had some problems so yesterday I logged in a compilied irssi, wget
and mutt, installing them into his home directory. This took 11mb of
space which could probably be trimmed as mutt installed some docs and
man pages, however I am not sure what I can trim it down to.

So, mutt and irssi are taken care of, leaving only emacs. The emacs-21
tarbals I looked at are almost 20mb and expand to 70mb which I cant
use.

Is there a way around this? I should add his needs are simple, he
needs to write some c code and have mutt use emacs as the editor.

Thanks in advance

--
Angelina Carlton

* Re: emacs on freebsd, space limitation
       [not found] <mailman.2181.1114012675.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-04-20 16:16 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-04-20 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Angelina Carlton <brat@magma.ca> writes:

> Hello
>
> I have a freind with a shell account on a machine running FreeBSD
> 4.9-RELEASE.
>
> He has 50mb of diskspace and no root privledges. Emacs is not
> installed, nor Vim.
>
> pico and ee are the onely editors available, however he is allowed to
> compile anything he wants.
>
> He had some problems so yesterday I logged in a compilied irssi, wget
> and mutt, installing them into his home directory. This took 11mb of
> space which could probably be trimmed as mutt installed some docs and
> man pages, however I am not sure what I can trim it down to.
>
> So, mutt and irssi are taken care of, leaving only emacs. The emacs-21
> tarbals I looked at are almost 20mb and expand to 70mb which I cant
> use.

It's really silly!  When you have emacs, you don't need irsii, mutt or
wget!  There are several http, ftp, irc and mail clients in emacs.

> Is there a way around this? I should add his needs are simple, he
> needs to write some c code and have mutt use emacs as the editor.

Erase all software and install only emacs.  You don't need anything else.

Wanna go outside.
Oh, no! Help! I got outside!
Let me back inside!

* Re: emacs on freebsd, space limitation
@ 2005-04-20 16:40   ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-04-20 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

   > I have a freind with a shell account on a machine running FreeBSD
   > 4.9-RELEASE.
   >
   > He has 50mb of diskspace and no root privledges. Emacs is not
   > installed, nor Vim.

   > The emacs-21 tarbals I looked at are almost 20mb and expand to
   > 70mb which I cant use.

   > Is there a way around this?  I should add his needs are simple, he
   > needs to write some c code and have mutt use emacs as the editor.

   Erase all software and install only emacs.  You don't need anything
   else.

Do the math.  It won't work this time unless there's a good way to
make a trimmed-down emacs, say to under 35 mb's (half of the current
untarred version version, which maybe doesn't yet including the size
of the binary).

My personal suggestion would be to speak with the sysadmin and ask for
Emacs to be installed in a shared directory.

* Re: emacs on freebsd, space limitation
@ 2005-04-20 16:54     ` Angelina Carlton
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2202.1114019512.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2005-04-20 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 11:40:08AM -0500, Joe Corneli wrote:

> Do the math.  It won't work this time unless there's a good way to
> make a trimmed-down emacs, say to under 35 mb's (half of the current
> untarred version version, which maybe doesn't yet including the size
> of the binary).
>
> My personal suggestion would be to speak with the sysadmin and ask for
> Emacs to be installed in a shared directory.

I emailed the admin, He told me thay will do a system upgrade in the
fall, at which time emacs, irssi mutt, wget and anything else he needs
will be installed if requested.

Until then he seems out of luck unless like you said there is an
emacs-lite version floating around somewhere.

I will email the admin perhaps and ask to use /tmp just for the time I
need to compile.
--

@ 2005-04-20 16:59   ` Angelina Carlton
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2005-04-20 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 06:16:17PM +0200, Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> It's really silly!  When you have emacs, you don't need irsii, mutt or
> wget!  There are several http, ftp, irc and mail clients in emacs.
> Erase all software and install only emacs.  You don't need anything else.

As I said, *he wants* irssi, mutt and emacs, and emacs is 70mb
untarred, even if I were to only install emacs...how would I do it
with 50mb's of disc?

--

@ 2005-04-20 17:45       ` Joe Corneli
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2202.1114019512.2895.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2005-04-20 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

   I emailed the admin, He told me thay will do a system upgrade in the
   fall, at which time emacs, irssi mutt, wget and anything else he needs
   will be installed if requested.

   Until then he seems out of luck unless like you said there is an
   emacs-lite version floating around somewhere.

   I will email the admin perhaps and ask to use /tmp just for the time I
   need to compile.

I would suggest to the admin that the tools be installed now, because
their availability is imperative if work is going to get done; Fall is
far too long to wait for that.

But yeah, the compiled version is only ~15M, so in theory it could be
stored in the user's 50M directory after it is compiled.

@ 2005-04-20 18:04         ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2005-04-20 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

[...]

> But yeah, the compiled version is only ~15M, so in theory it could be
> stored in the user's 50M directory after it is compiled.

Also tell him to install a bigger HD.  50M is ridiculous in this day and
age.

--
Vaya Con Satan

* Re: emacs on freebsd, space limitation
@ 2005-04-20 19:07           ` Angelina Carlton
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2005-04-20 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 06:04:08PM +0000, Henrik Enberg wrote:
> Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > But yeah, the compiled version is only ~15M, so in theory it could be
> > stored in the user's 50M directory after it is compiled.
>
> Also tell him to install a bigger HD.  50M is ridiculous in this day and
> age.

It is a shell account, he has 50mb of space allocated to him.
--

@ 2005-04-22 16:25 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2005-04-22 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Angelina Carlton wrote:

[ Emacs in under 50 MB? ]

A) If you have access to another machine running the same OS, or if
you have temp space in which you can build, then it's easy.

Configure and make in the normal way. Then before running `make
install-strip', delete all the .el files that have .elc counterparts:

for f in `find lisp -name "*.elc"`; do
    rm ${f%c}    # bash shell syntax
done

If you then do `make install-strip', the installed version uses 36MB.

B) If you can't use A), here is an ugly method that works. Someone who
understands the build process better (ie at all) could probably
suggest something more elegant. This needs a full 50MB, so transfer
all other files out of the way first.

1. On some other machine, untar emacs-21.4a source. 70MB, ack!

2. Delete a bunch of stuff you can live without:

for f in `find lisp -name "*.elc"`; do
    rm ${f%c}    # bash shell syntax
done

find . -name "ChangeLog*" -exec rm '{}' ';'

rm -rf nt msdos vms mac

3. Now down to 46MB, but need more space to build, so have to get rid of
some other stuff that it would be nice to keep:

rm -rf etc/* man/*.tex* info

4. Find some way to get size of lisp directory down to ~ 13MB. Eg:
cd lisp
rm -rf gnus obsolete play mail calendar eshell emulation net toolbar

Actually, rather than deleting these, you can move them somewhere else
and transfer them to the build machine later if you want them.

5. Now at ~ 25 MB, transfer to build machine.

6. ./configure
make src

49 MB, phew!

7. Tidy up a bit:

find . -name "*.[cho]" -exec rm '{}' ';'
( cd etc; ln -f DOC-21.4.1 DOC )
strip src/emacs

Leaves 26 MB. Run it as ./src/emacs (ignoring complaints), don't try
installing it.

At this point, you can move back some of the files from step 4, if you
want them.

C) Insult the sysadmin's (wo)manhood for failing to provide emacs on
the system.

D) alt.religion.emacs can probably supply a mob with pitchforks and
torches to help "persuade" the syadmin to install emacs.

* Re: emacs on freebsd, space limitation
@ 2005-04-22 18:48   ` Angelina Carlton
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2005-04-22 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 05:25:43PM +0100, Glenn Morris wrote:

> B) If you can't use A), here is an ugly method that works. Someone who
> understands the build process better (ie at all) could probably
> suggest something more elegant. This needs a full 50MB, so transfer
> all other files out of the way first.
>
> 1. On some other machine, untar emacs-21.4a source. 70MB, ack!
>
> 2. Delete a bunch of stuff you can live without:
>
> for f in `find lisp -name "*.elc"`; do
>     rm ${f%c}    # bash shell syntax
> done
>
> find . -name "ChangeLog*" -exec rm '{}' ';'
>
> rm -rf nt msdos vms mac
>
> 3. Now down to 46MB, but need more space to build, so have to get rid of
> some other stuff that it would be nice to keep:
>
> rm -rf etc/* man/*.tex* info
>
> 4. Find some way to get size of lisp directory down to ~ 13MB. Eg:
> cd lisp
> rm -rf gnus obsolete play mail calendar eshell emulation net toolbar
>
> Actually, rather than deleting these, you can move them somewhere else
> and transfer them to the build machine later if you want them.
>
> 5. Now at ~ 25 MB, transfer to build machine.
>
> 6. ./configure
> make src
>
> 49 MB, phew!
>
> 7. Tidy up a bit:
>
> find . -name "*.[cho]" -exec rm '{}' ';'
> ( cd etc; ln -f DOC-21.4.1 DOC )
> strip src/emacs
>
> Leaves 26 MB. Run it as ./src/emacs (ignoring complaints), don't try
> installing it.
>
> At this point, you can move back some of the files from step 4, if you
> want them.

Wow, this is alot of work :-) but I feel working with an editor you
dont like is counterproductive so if all else fails I will try that
route. I don't have any BSD machines to use as I prefer Debian
so method A wont work for me.

> C) Insult the sysadmin's (wo)manhood for failing to provide emacs on
> the system.
>
> D) alt.religion.emacs can probably supply a mob with pitchforks and
> torches to help "persuade" the syadmin to install emacs.

He has emailed the sysadmin and ask for /tmp space and waits a reply,
he also asked them to install it directly for him to make things easy
and I told him to diplomatically hint that he can spend his money with
another host if they dont want to install emacs for him.

I know for me personally, if I had learned emacs from the get go,
things would have been easier, so this is why I dont want him to get
used to ee or pico and miss out on all the fun that emacs has to offer.

--
Angelina Carlton