all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* decompiling compiled emacs lisp
@ 2005-03-04  6:48 Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2005-03-04  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
        I have a XEmacs compiled emacs lisp file. There are some
        incompatibilities between functions in Emacs and XEmacs which I need
        to fix. I do not have the original emacs lisp source. Is there a way
        to decompile an elc file? This request might rather strange If it
        does, please ignore this posting.

-dhruva

--
Name : Dhruva Krishnamurthy (dk)
Phone: +91-(0)80-22999190

* Re: decompiling compiled emacs lisp
@ 2005-03-04 11:20 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-03-04 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dhruva Krishnamurthy <Dhruva.Krishnamurthy@in.bosch.com> writes:

> Hello,
>         I have a XEmacs compiled emacs lisp file. There are some
>         incompatibilities between functions in Emacs and XEmacs which I need
>         to fix. I do not have the original emacs lisp source. Is there a way
>         to decompile an elc file? This request might rather strange If it
>         does, please ignore this posting.

(disassemble 'fun)

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__               _  Software patents are endangering
()  ASCII ribbon against html email (o_ the computer industry all around

* Re: decompiling compiled emacs lisp
@ 2005-03-04 12:03 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2005-03-04 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On (12:18 04/03/05), Dhruva Krishnamurthy wrote:

>         I have a XEmacs compiled emacs lisp file. There are some
>         incompatibilities between functions in Emacs and XEmacs which I need
>         to fix. I do not have the original emacs lisp source. Is there a way
>         to decompile an elc file? This request might rather strange If it
>         does, please ignore this posting.

Does the output of M-x disassemble help ?

* Re: decompiling compiled emacs lisp
@ 2005-03-07 12:14   ` Dhruva Krishnamurthy
From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy @ 2005-03-07 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

pb> Dhruva Krishnamurthy <Dhruva.Krishnamurthy@in.bosch.com> writes:
>> Hello, I have a XEmacs compiled emacs lisp file. There are some
>> incompatibilities between functions in Emacs and XEmacs which I need to
>> fix. I do not have the original emacs lisp source. Is there a way to
>> decompile an elc file? This request might rather strange If it does, please
>> ignore this posting.

pb> (disassemble 'fun)

This works but I will have to do it for each function. I wonder how I can take
care of other entities if they are byte compiled (variable declarations etc..)
Anyway, fortunately I found the raw e-lisp file and am spared of doing this
manually.

Thanks anyway,
-dhruva

--

@ 2005-03-07 14:29     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-03-07 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This works but I will have to do it for each function.  I wonder how I can
> take care of other entities if they are byte compiled (variable
> declarations etc..)

You can look at `load-history' too see which functions and variables were
defined when you loaded the elc file.