all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* default-frame-alist in console mode
@ 2005-01-23 21:40 August
From: August @ 2005-01-23 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I noticed when I opened Emacs in console mode that the variable
`default-frame-alist' from .emacs is used. Is there a way to skip this
setting in console mode? Under X Windows I use a colored background (set
by `default-frame-alist'), but when I start Emacs in console mode I get
a white text on white background. Moreover, none of the settings I have
in `default-frame-alist' makes sense in console mode.

--
August

* Re: default-frame-alist in console mode
@ 2005-01-23 22:06 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2005-01-23 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I noticed when I opened Emacs in console mode that the variable
> `default-frame-alist' from .emacs is used. Is there a way to skip this
> setting in console mode?

Wrap the offending section of .emacs in (when (display-graphic-p) ...)?

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
ted@oconnor.cx

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

* Re: default-frame-alist in console mode
@ 2005-01-23 22:40 ` Ismael Valladolid Torres
From: Ismael Valladolid Torres @ 2005-01-23 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

August escribe:
> I noticed when I opened Emacs in console mode that the variable
> `default-frame-alist' from .emacs is used. Is there a way to skip this
> setting in console mode? Under X Windows I use a colored background (set
> by `default-frame-alist'), but when I start Emacs in console mode I get
> a white text on white background. Moreover, none of the settings I have
> in `default-frame-alist' makes sense in console mode.

This works for me:

(when window-system
  (setq default-frame-alist
   ...))

Cordially, Ismael

* Re: default-frame-alist in console mode
@ 2005-01-23 23:24   ` August
From: August @ 2005-01-23 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On sön, 2005-01-23 at 14:06 -0800, Edward O'Connor wrote:
> > I noticed when I opened Emacs in console mode that the variable
> > `default-frame-alist' from .emacs is used. Is there a way to skip this
> > setting in console mode?
>
> Wrap the offending section of .emacs in (when (display-graphic-p) ...)?
>

> Ted

Thanks! One minor drawback is that I can't use the customization feature
to set default-frame-alist with this approach.

--
August