all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* replacing strings
@ 2005-01-18  6:22 SENTHIL S
From: SENTHIL S @ 2005-01-18  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,
How to replace a string with the same string+something
..

eg: sum - [sum]
    moon - [moon]
thanks

=====
====================================
1.I ADMIRE THE INNOCENCE OF CHLDHOOD.
2.ALL ARE SAME BEFORE DEATH.
3.SOMETIMES YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO UNLESS
YOU START DOING IT.

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

* Re: replacing strings
@ 2005-01-18  7:30 ` Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2005-01-18  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

>    Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:22:44 -0800 (PST)
>    From: SENTHIL S <senfunn@yahoo.com>
>    Sender: help-gnu-emacs-bounces+mhuggett=zam.att.ne.jp@gnu.org
>
>    hi,
>    How to replace a string with the same string+something
>    ..
>
>    eg: sum - [sum]
>        moon - [moon]
>    thanks

Use parentheses in a regular expression to capture part of the match.
For example, for the simple cases you have give, you might try:

    M-x replace-regexp

and give \(\w+\b\) for the regexp and [\1] for the replacement.  The
\1 will give you whatever was captured by the () in the regexp.

Matthew