all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Sending files to the recycle bin via dired
@ 2005-01-07  9:24 Enila Nero
From: Enila Nero @ 2005-01-07  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to redefine the delete-file function so that when
deleting files from a dired buffer they are send to the recycle bin
instead of being deleted without a chance to undelete?

Thanks,

Enila

* Re: Sending files to the recycle bin via dired
@ 2005-01-07  9:27 ` Enila Nero
From: Enila Nero @ 2005-01-07  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Enila Nero <geortal@yahoo.com> writes:

> Is there a way to redefine the delete-file function so that when
> deleting files from a dired buffer they are send to the recycle bin
> instead of being deleted without a chance to undelete?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Enila

Although it should be obvious Emacs is on Windows (XP).  I am using
Emacs 21.3.50.

Sorry,

@ 2005-01-07 12:06   ` kurtz
       [not found]   ` <mailman.11635.1105100351.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: kurtz @ 2005-01-07 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Enila Nero escribe:
> Although it should be obvious Emacs is on Windows (XP).

Then the proper mailing list is help-emacs-windows on this same
server.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 189 bytes --]

@ 2005-01-07 17:27     ` Enila Nero
From: Enila Nero @ 2005-01-07 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

kurtz <kurtz611@yahoo.es> writes:

> Enila Nero escribe:
>> Although it should be obvious Emacs is on Windows (XP).
>
> Then the proper mailing list is help-emacs-windows on this same
> server.

I am not sure about mailing lists.  I've posted on gnu.emacs.help.  I
couldn't find a newsgroup which contains emacs AND windows in its
name.

As far as I know posting emacs windows questions to gnu.emacs.help is
totally appropriate.  If you know of the name of a better newsgroup
please let me know.

@ 2005-01-07 17:44       ` kurtz
From: kurtz @ 2005-01-07 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Enila Nero escribe:
> kurtz <kurtz611@yahoo.es> writes:
>
> > Enila Nero escribe:
> >> Although it should be obvious Emacs is on Windows (XP).
> >
> > Then the proper mailing list is help-emacs-windows on this same
> > server.
>
> I am not sure about mailing lists.  I've posted on gnu.emacs.help.  I
> couldn't find a newsgroup which contains emacs AND windows in its
> name.

Yep, looks like the NTEmacs mailing mist is not mirrored to Usenet.

> As far as I know posting emacs windows questions to gnu.emacs.help is
> totally appropriate.  If you know of the name of a better newsgroup
> please let me know.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding, I was not intending to say that
this list is not appropiate, obviously it is, I was only suggesting
that the other list may be better for finding answers to NTEmacs
related questions. Information about the help-emacs-windows mailing
list is [1]here.

1. http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq11.html

@ 2005-01-09  9:33   ` Enila Nero
From: Enila Nero @ 2005-01-09  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Enila Nero <geortal@yahoo.com> writes:

> Enila Nero <geortal@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to redefine the delete-file function so that when
>> deleting files from a dired buffer they are send to the recycle bin
>> instead of being deleted without a chance to undelete?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Enila
>
> Although it should be obvious Emacs is on Windows (XP).  I am using
> Emacs 21.3.50.

No solution was suggested but I was able find this solution:
I installed the freeware program fundelete

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/fundelete.shtml

(source code is also provided.)

It replaces the Windows recycle bin.  It captures all files deleted
by the user or from within programs.  One can define filters to avoid
rescuing files that should be deleted period, like those in temp
directories or of certain extensions.

It works for files deleted within dired buffers, i.e. they are send to
fundelete recycle bin.  HOWEVER files deleted from a cygwin bash shell
using rm will be as dead and gone as they are on a unix machine (to
the extend one does employ special recovery programs.)

Use fundelete at your own risk.

Enila