all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* install
@ 2005-01-06 23:58 Blake Rawlings
From: Blake Rawlings @ 2005-01-06 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've had trouble with the websites i've looked at to install emacs (ie they
didn't work) so i was hoping you could give me steps to install it on
windows xp (!)

* Re: install
@ 2005-01-07 12:05 ` kurtz
From: kurtz @ 2005-01-07 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Blake Rawlings escribe:
> I've had trouble with the websites i've looked at to install emacs (ie they
> didn't work) so i was hoping you could give me steps to install it on
> windows xp (!)

Maybe the proper place to ask this is the mailing list
help-emacs-windows on this same server.

Moreover, this tutorial is pretty explanatory:

http://www.mhoenicka.de/software/sgml/tutorial/c211.html

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 189 bytes --]

* Re: install
       [not found] <mailman.11528.1105056681.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-01-07 17:22 ` Njall
From: Njall @ 2005-01-07 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Simple grasshopper,

either using an FTP client or your favorite browser go to

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz

then use WinZIP (or other tools at your descretion) unzip first the GZ
then the TAR files.  I recommend unzipping the contents of the TAR file
into a directory C:\BIN.  With WinZIP you MUST use folder names.   If
you don't there will be a completely horrendous jumble of files and it
probably won't work anyway.

By Unzipping into C:\BIN there will be C:\BIN\emacs-21.3 directory
created.  Once it is created, you can, though you do not have to, go to
the ...\emacs-21.3\bin directory and execute the addpm.exe program
which will add a few completely useful and innocuous entries into your
Windows Registry.  It will, for example, create the icons for you.
Thereafter click and edit.

Nelson ...
(when you can snatch the pebble from the editor it will be time for you
to leave.)

* Re: install
@ 2005-01-07 17:27   ` kurtz
From: kurtz @ 2005-01-07 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)