all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Defining directory ~/ on MS-Windows
@ 2004-11-13 22:34 graham
From: graham @ 2004-11-13 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On MS-Windows Emacs understands paths like ~/foo.txt.  It converts
this to c:\foo.txt.  I would like it to convert it to
c:\Documents and Settings\My User Name\foo.txt instead, like XEmacs does.

How can this be done?

I'm using Emacs from CVS (21.3.50.1) on Windows XP SP2.

Thanks,

Graham

* Re: Defining directory ~/ on MS-Windows
@ 2004-11-14  4:44 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.2596.1100408165.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-11-14  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: graham@gorgeous.org
> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:34:12 +0000
>
> On MS-Windows Emacs understands paths like ~/foo.txt.  It converts
> this to c:\foo.txt.  I would like it to convert it to
> c:\Documents and Settings\My User Name\foo.txt instead, like XEmacs does.
>
> How can this be done?

"~" is a short for %HOME%.  So, if you define the environment variable
HOME whose value is "c:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name", you
will get what you want.

> I'm using Emacs from CVS (21.3.50.1) on Windows XP SP2.

On Windows XP, environment variables are set thru the Control Panel.

* Re: Defining directory ~/ on MS-Windows
@ 2004-11-14  5:59 ` Slava
       [not found] ` <mailman.2596.1100408165.8225.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Slava @ 2004-11-14  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Define HOME variable with your path.

Best regards,
                           Slava                                   sawati AT yandex ru

From:   graham@gorgeous.org
To:   help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Date:   Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:34:12 +0000
Subject:   Defining directory ~/ on MS-Windows
----

g> On MS-Windows Emacs understands paths like ~/foo.txt.  It converts
g> this to c:\foo.txt.  I would like it to convert it to
g> c:\Documents and Settings\My User Name\foo.txt instead, like XEmacs does.
g>
g> How can this be done?
g>
g> I'm using Emacs from CVS (21.3.50.1) on Windows XP SP2.

@ 2004-11-14 13:56   ` graham
From: graham @ 2004-11-14 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: graham@gorgeous.org
>> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 22:34:12 +0000
>>
>> On MS-Windows Emacs understands paths like ~/foo.txt.  It converts
>> this to c:\foo.txt.  I would like it to convert it to
>> c:\Documents and Settings\My User Name\foo.txt instead, like XEmacs does.
>>
>> How can this be done?
>
> "~" is a short for %HOME%.  So, if you define the environment variable
> HOME whose value is "c:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name", you
> will get what you want.

Thanks, this did the trick.

@ 2004-11-17  3:46     ` hackevin
From: hackevin @ 2004-11-17  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)