all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Recent CVS has been crashing.
@ 2004-10-16 20:49 Steven T. Hatton
From: Steven T. Hatton @ 2004-10-16 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wish I had more information to provide.  Unfortunately this has been
infrequent enough that I haven't been prepared to capture any crash dumps.
(the xterm I launched from has been closed.) I can't connect the crashes with
any particular action.  The only common variable is that I've been in C++
mode using a recent CVS build of CEDET.  I'm running on SuSE 9.1, intel P4,
with up to date patches. I often use speedbar and eshell as well.  The may or
may not have been active. (eshell has (recently had) some other (rather
nasty) issues that appear when copying content to other X apps.)

What happens is that emacs simply vanishes from the display (and the process
list) without any prior evidence of a problem.  This happens after hours of
use.

If I can reproduce the problem, or get a crash dump, I will file a proper bug
report.

--
Regards,
Steven

* Re: Recent CVS has been crashing.
@ 2004-10-17 15:15 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2004-10-17 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> If I can reproduce the problem, or get a crash dump, I will file a proper bug
> report.

Crash dumps are often unusable.
A more reliable approach is to just systematically run your Emacs from gdb.