all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs tabbing configuration
@ 2004-10-15 15:24 Thomas Beresford
From: Thomas Beresford @ 2004-10-15 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I set up how many spaces the tab key will use?

THomas Beresford

---- Get Urchin 6 On Demand web analytics. Because you can't wait to be found.
http://www.urchin.com/?utm_campaign=U6OD&utm_medium=email&source=spymac.com&content=cantwait

* Re: Emacs tabbing configuration
       [not found] <mailman.3379.1097854393.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-10-16  0:06 ` V. L. Simpson
From: V. L. Simpson @ 2004-10-16  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > How can I set up how many spaces the tab key will use?
    > THomas Beresford

Check documentation for 'tab-width' -- C-h v return tab-width

You need to realize that the tab key does different things in
different modes as opposed to just moving the cursor to a certain
defined column position.

Check this url for more information:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryIndentation

Hopefully, a tab related holy war will not be initiated by this
thread. 8-]

--
V. L. Simpson
http://vls.freeshell.org/

* Re: Emacs tabbing configuration
@ 2004-11-06 15:21   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-11-06 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"V. L. Simpson" <vls@freeshell.org> writes:

>     > How can I set up how many spaces the tab key will use?
>     > THomas Beresford
>
> Check documentation for 'tab-width' -- C-h v return tab-width

That variable specifies how the tab character will be displayed, but
it doesn't (directly) say what happens when the user hits the tab key.

But you already pointed to a good discussion on it...

Kai