all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* appears CVS build is broken (tty-supports-face-attributes-p)?
@ 2004-06-29 20:55 John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2004-06-29 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Building CVS emacs on OS X 10.3.4, configured with
carbon and without X. make bootstrap fails with the
following msg:

newer)...
Symbol's function definition is void:
tty-supports-face-attributes-p

More complete trace below.

JDO

-------------

Using load-path
(/Users/jowens/Library/emacs/src/emacs/lisp
/Users/jowens/Library/emacs/src/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp
/Users/jowens/Library/emacs/src/emacs/lisp/language
/Users/jowens/Library/emacs/src/emacs/lisp/international
/Users/jowens/Library/emacs/src/emacs/lisp/textmodes)
newer)...
Note, built-in variable `selection-coding-system' not
bound
file is newer)...
newer)...
newer)...
newer)...
newer)...
newer)...
Symbol's function definition is void:
tty-supports-face-attributes-p
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Error 255

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

* Re: appears CVS build is broken (tty-supports-face-attributes-p)?
@ 2004-06-30  1:28 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2004-06-30  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

John Owens wrote:

   Building CVS emacs on OS X 10.3.4, configured with
   carbon and without X. make bootstrap fails with the
   following msg:

   newer)...
   Symbol's function definition is void:
   tty-supports-face-attributes-p

Not guaranteed to work, but what about:

make maintainer-clean
./configure
make bootstrap

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: appears CVS build is broken (tty-supports-face-attributes-p)?
@ 2004-06-30  2:09 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-06-30  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

John Owens <john_owens@yahoo.com> writes:
> newer)...
> Symbol's function definition is void:
> tty-supports-face-attributes-p

Um, please pay closer attention to the error message: it says the source
file is newer, so that's a good hint that it needs to be recompiled...

-miles
--
.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.

* Re: appears CVS build is broken (tty-supports-face-attributes-p)?
@ 2004-06-30  5:32 ` Stefan Reichör
From: Stefan Reichör @ 2004-06-30  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hi John!

> Building CVS emacs on OS X 10.3.4, configured with
> carbon and without X. make bootstrap fails with the
> following msg:

> newer)...
> Symbol's function definition is void:
> tty-supports-face-attributes-p
>
> More complete trace below.

I had once a similar problem. I used:
make maintainer-clean

Then I could build emacs again.

Stefan.

* Re: appears CVS build is broken (tty-supports-face-attributes-p)?
@ 2004-06-30 17:01   ` John Owens
From: John Owens @ 2004-06-30 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 615 bytes --]

--- Stefan Reichör <xsteve@riic.at> wrote:
> Hi John!
>
> > Building CVS emacs on OS X 10.3.4, configured with
> > carbon and without X. make bootstrap fails with
> the
> > following msg:
>
> I had once a similar problem. I used:
> make maintainer-clean

In fact that fixed it. Doh! Silly me, thinking "make
extraclean" would clean the old build. It had always
worked for me before.

Apologies for the unnecessary post, and thanks to
those who politely replied.

JDO

@ 2004-07-01  2:17     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-07-01  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Stefan Reichör

BTW, usually it's sufficient to do `make -C lisp recompile', and of
course it's much faster.  So a generally good strategy after updating is
to do that followed by a normal make, and if it fails in a suspicious
way, then try make maintainer-clean + make bootstrap.

-Miles
--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.

* Re: appears CVS build is broken (tty-supports-face-attributes-p)?
@ 2004-07-01  3:38       ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2004-07-01  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: john_owens, xsteve, emacs-devel

Miles Bader wrote:

   BTW, usually it's sufficient to do `make -C lisp recompile', and of
   course it's much faster.  So a generally good strategy after updating is
   to do that followed by a normal make, and if it fails in a suspicious
   way, then try make maintainer-clean + make bootstrap.

In practice, people are going to do what we _ask_ then to do in
INSTALL.CVS:

    Normally, it is not necessary to use "make bootstrap" after every CVS
    update.  Unless there are problems, we suggest the following
    procedure:

      $ ./configure
      $ make
      $ cd lisp
      $ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
      $ cd ..
      $ make

    (If you want to install the Emacs binary, type "make install" instead
    of "make" in the last command.)

If this is not the best strategy, INSTALL.CVS should be changed.

(Note however that for people with fast machines, running `make
maintainer-clean' and `make bootstrap' is so fast that it is not even
worth the trouble trying anything else.)

In case of trouble we recommend first to update loaddefs.el and if
this does not solve the problem, to run `make bootstrap'.  That used
to be sufficient.  After a relatively recent change it no longer is.
One has to first do `make maintainer-clean', then `make bootstrap'.
This is not pointed out in INSTALL.CVS.

There are two solutions.  The first is to point it out in INSTALL.CVS.
One problem with that is that people already familiar with
INSTALL.CVS, do not reread it every few days.

A more radical solution is to revert the recent change to `make
bootstrap'.  That change made `make bootstrap' run faster, but at a
cost.  We get reports on trouble during bootstrapping that are only
due to failure to run `make maintainer-clean' on a regular basis.
Failing to run `make maintainer-clean' does not necessarily cause
bootstrapping to fail.  Instead, it can cause bugs in the bootstrapped
Emacs.  So every time somebody reports a bug that seems
irreproducible, there is always the possibility that it was due
failure to run `make maintainer-clean'.

Has anybody benefited sufficiently from the change in `make bootstrap'
to compensate for all the time that many people are losing as a result
of it?  I am inclined to believe that the change to `make bootstrap'
should be reverted.

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: appears CVS build is broken (tty-supports-face-attributes-p)?
@ 2004-07-01  3:47       ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2004-07-01  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: john_owens, xsteve, emacs-devel

>From my previous message:

   In case of trouble we recommend first to update loaddefs.el and if
   this does not solve the problem, to run `make bootstrap'.  That used
   to be sufficient.  After a relatively recent change it no longer is.
   One has to first do `make maintainer-clean', then `make bootstrap'.
   This is not pointed out in INSTALL.CVS.

Actually, one has to do:

make maintainer-clean
./configure (with whatever options are wanted)
make bootstrap

This is another drawback of the recent change to `make bootstrap'.
`make maintainer-clean' removes _more_ than `make bootstrap' used to.

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: appears CVS build is broken (tty-supports-face-attributes-p)?
@ 2004-07-01  3:52         ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-07-01  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: john_owens, xsteve, emacs-devel

Luc Teirlinck <teirllm@dms.auburn.edu> writes:
>    BTW, usually it's sufficient to do `make -C lisp recompile', and of
>    course it's much faster.  So a generally good strategy after updating is
>    to do that followed by a normal make, and if it fails in a suspicious
>    way, then try make maintainer-clean + make bootstrap.
>
> In practice, people are going to do what we _ask_ then to do in
> INSTALL.CVS:

My above message assumed that people (1) have emacs already installed,
and (2) are using GNU make.  It seems slightly dubious for INSTALL.CVS
to assume those things, but in practice they're probably often true.

Note that I also recommend recompiling the lisp files _before_ compiling
emacs, as sometimes lisp changes can affect the emacs build, but again
that requires a pre-existing emacs binary.

I don't understand why INSTALL.CVS says to re-run ./configure though --
that seems almost never necessary (as the Makefile will do so
automatically).

-Miles
--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]

* Re: appears CVS build is broken (tty-supports-face-attributes-p)?
@ 2004-07-01 10:43         ` Stefan
From: Stefan @ 2004-07-01 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: john_owens, xsteve, emacs-devel, miles

> In practice, people are going to do what we _ask_ them to do in
> INSTALL.CVS:

Somehow I doubt it, seeing how they can't even follow the two-lines that
say "don't post to gnu.emacs.help".

>     Normally, it is not necessary to use "make bootstrap" after every CVS
>     update.  Unless there are problems, we suggest the following
>     procedure:

>       $ ./configure

Shouldn't be necessary.

>       $ make
>       $ cd lisp
>       $ make recompile EMACS=../src/emacs
>       $ cd ..
>       $ make

Of course, we should strive to turn the above into just `make'.

> (Note however that for people with fast machines, running `make
> maintainer-clean' and `make bootstrap' is so fast that it is not even
> worth the trouble trying anything else.)

You must have really impressingly fast machines around then, because my
1 year old Opteron is very much too slow for
"make maintainer-clean bootstrap".

> Has anybody benefited sufficiently from the change in `make bootstrap'
> to compensate for all the time that many people are losing as a result
> of it?  I am inclined to believe that the change to `make bootstrap'
> should be reverted.

I think I have to agree. :-(