all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* man.el fails with csh (Re: Patch: Re: man.el should avoid "sh")
@ 2004-05-30 12:10 Masakazu HIGAKI
From: Masakazu HIGAKI @ 2004-05-30 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Man.el has been fixed on 2 May but this fix may not work correctly
when csh is used as default shell or emacs is invoked from csh.
The fix makes man.el use a shell defined by shell-file-name variable
to invoke external commands in Man-filter-list
but a csh-like shell cannot accept the command lines specified
in Man-filter-list.

So, please consider:
- introducing a routine to choose a sh-like shell instead of csh-like shells
or
- changing Man-filter-list so that csh-like shells accept

Thank you.

----
 Masakazu Higaki

* Re: man.el fails with csh (Re: Patch: Re: man.el should avoid "sh")
@ 2004-05-30 14:13 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-05-30 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 21:10:43 +0900 (JST)
> From: Masakazu HIGAKI <higamasa@dream.com>
>
> Man.el has been fixed on 2 May but this fix may not work correctly
> when csh is used as default shell or emacs is invoked from csh.

Thank you for your report, but in the future, please send bug reports
about the CVS version to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org (the command "M-x
report-emacs-bug" will do that for you automatically).

> The fix makes man.el use a shell defined by shell-file-name variable
> to invoke external commands in Man-filter-list
> but a csh-like shell cannot accept the command lines specified
> in Man-filter-list.
>
> So, please consider:
> - introducing a routine to choose a sh-like shell instead of csh-like shells
> or
> - changing Man-filter-list so that csh-like shells accept

I think we simply should change man.el so that it uses shell-file-name
only on non-Posix platforms, and otherwise always "/bin/sh".