all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* project object browser
@ 2004-05-17 22:40 Micha Feigin
From: Micha Feigin @ 2004-05-17 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there an object browser for emacs (such as with other ides)?

Its the main feature I currently miss. I found M-/ and C-M-/ for
completion, (which seems to and indicate that the functionality can
exist) and ecb gives me a view of the current file (which replaces the
function menu that I miss from xemacs).

For example, the main thing I need is when browsing the .cpp file to be
able to see the functions and variables defined in the class definition
(in the header). It would also be nice to see the list of classes in
the project, but that isn't as important.

source-navigator seems to provide what I need, but I prefer an
integrated solution. I wasn't clear if oo-browser could actually do
what I want or if its even still active.

* Re: project object browser
@ 2004-05-18  7:15 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-05-18  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 01:40:59 +0300
> From: Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>
>
> For example, the main thing I need is when browsing the .cpp file to be
> able to see the functions and variables defined in the class definition
> (in the header).

Run `etags' on all your project's sources and headers, and then use
"M-x tags-apropos RET".

* Re: project object browser
       [not found] <mailman.5899.1084833921.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-05-18  7:45 ` Jason Rumney
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5996.1084884015.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jason Rumney @ 2004-05-18  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

> Its the main feature I currently miss. I found M-/ and C-M-/ for
> completion, (which seems to and indicate that the functionality can
> exist) and ecb gives me a view of the current file (which replaces the
> function menu that I miss from xemacs).

The function menu is imenu, and is available in Emacs as well. But if
you have ECB then you already have a "class browser" as part of that.

* Re: project object browser
@ 2004-05-18 12:03   ` Micha Feigin
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5996.1084884015.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Micha Feigin @ 2004-05-18 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 08:45:17AM +0100, Jason Rumney wrote:
> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:
>
> > Its the main feature I currently miss. I found M-/ and C-M-/ for
> > completion, (which seems to and indicate that the functionality can
> > exist) and ecb gives me a view of the current file (which replaces the
> > function menu that I miss from xemacs).
>
> The function menu is imenu, and is available in Emacs as well. But if
> you have ECB then you already have a "class browser" as part of that.

ecb doesn't exactly have a class browser. When in the header file it
does show the class, but when in the .cpp file it just shows the
functions grouped by class. I can't see the class member variables for
example (the main feature I am missing).

I guess that part of the problem is that emacs doesn't have am idea on
a project and thus doesn't know where to get the class definition.

@ 2004-05-18 21:19 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2004-05-18 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:

> Is there an object browser for emacs (such as with other ides)?
>
> Its the main feature I currently miss. I found M-/ and C-M-/ for
> completion, (which seems to and indicate that the functionality can
> exist) and ecb gives me a view of the current file (which replaces the
> function menu that I miss from xemacs).

Emacs 21 has Ebrowse for C++.  I dunno how good it is.

* Re: project object browser
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5996.1084884015.1061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-05-19  7:19     ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2004-05-19  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 18 May 2004, Micha Feigin wrote:

>  On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 08:45:17AM +0100, Jason Rumney wrote:
> > Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> writes:
> >
> > > Its the main feature I currently miss. I found M-/ and C-M-/ for
> > > completion, (which seems to and indicate that the functionality can
> > > exist) and ecb gives me a view of the current file (which replaces the
> > > function menu that I miss from xemacs).
> >
> > The function menu is imenu, and is available in Emacs as well. But if
> > you have ECB then you already have a "class browser" as part of that.
>
>  ecb doesn't exactly have a class browser. When in the header file it
>  does show the class, but when in the .cpp file it just shows the
>  functions grouped by class. I can't see the class member variables for
>  example (the main feature I am missing).
>
>  I guess that part of the problem is that emacs doesn't have am idea on
>  a project and thus doesn't know where to get the class definition.

You are right - but the situation is going better and better - at least with
semantic (part of the cedet suite). With semantic you can at least define
where to search for include-files (header-files) and then junp to them via
click in ECB. But you are right - in a cpp-file you do not have a complete
overlook of the contents of a class - surely a point we should think about it
- good suggestion - i will discuss this with Eric Ludlum (author of semantic).

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de