all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* backward-delete-word function (not backward-kill-word)
@ 2004-02-25  5:19 gg44060
From: gg44060 @ 2004-02-25  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a backward-delete-word funtion in emacs?  It is very annoying
to have the  words deleted during a find-file to show up on the kill
ring (even worse, replace the clipboard, so that you have to go back
to the other application and copy it again).

I tried defining it as a keyboard macro using delete-region, but of
course it doesn't work in the mini-buffer.

TIA.

* Re: backward-delete-word function (not backward-kill-word)
@ 2004-02-25  9:33 ` Ehud Karni
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ehud Karni @ 2004-02-25  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: backward-delete-word function (not backward-kill-word)
@ 2004-02-25  9:38 ` Ehud Karni
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ehud Karni @ 2004-02-25  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: backward-delete-word function (not backward-kill-word)
@ 2004-02-25 22:11 ` Johan Bockgård
       [not found] ` <mailman.451.1077701989.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.450.1077701652.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2004-02-25 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

gg44060@mail.com writes:

> I tried defining it as a keyboard macro using delete-region, but of
> course it doesn't work in the mini-buffer.

Of course it does.

,----[ C-h v enable-recursive-minibuffers RET ]

`----

--
:)
Johan Bockgård

* Re: backward-delete-word function (not backward-kill-word)
@ 2004-02-26 15:17   ` gg44060
From: gg44060 @ 2004-02-26 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) wrote in message news:<yoijr7wihkrp.fsf@frealaf.dd.chalmers.se>...
> gg44060@mail.com writes:
>
> > I tried defining it as a keyboard macro using delete-region, but of
> > course it doesn't work in the mini-buffer.
>
> Of course it does.
>
> ,----[ C-h v enable-recursive-minibuffers RET ]
> | enable-recursive-minibuffers's value is t
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *Non-nil means to allow minibuffer commands while in the minibuffer.
> | This variable makes a difference whenever the minibuffer window is
> | active.
> |
> | You can customize this variable.
> `----

Thanks!  You learn something new every day.  I had gotten around the
problem by binding delete-region to a C-c key.

Thanks again.

@ 2004-02-26 15:27   ` gg44060
From: gg44060 @ 2004-02-26 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ehud Karni" wrote in message news:<mailman.451.1077701989.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>...

> On 24 Feb 2004 21:19:44 -0800, gg44060(at)mail.com wrote:
> >
> > It is very annoying to have the words deleted during a find-file to
> > show up on the kill ring (even worse, replace the clipboard, so that
> > you have to go back to the other application and copy it again).
>
> If you don't want the kill ring to interfere with the clipboard do:
>   (setq interprogram-cut-function nil)

Well, my original problem was I found myself deleting text I wouldn't
use anywhere .  I don't want it to interfere with any kill ring.

Thanks for the help.

@ 2004-02-26 15:31   ` gg44060
From: gg44060 @ 2004-02-26 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ehud Karni" wrote in message news:<mailman.450.1077701652.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>...

> On 24 Feb 2004 21:19:44 -0800, gg44060(at)mail.com wrote:
> >
> > Is there a backward-delete-word funtion in emacs?  It is very annoying
> > to have the  words deleted during a find-file to show up on the kill
> > ring [snip ]
> >
> > I tried defining it as a keyboard macro using delete-region, but of
> > course it doesn't work in the mini-buffer.
>
> Just copy the `kill-word' and `backward-kill-word' functions (from
> simple.el) and replace the string "kill" by "delete" like this:
>
> (defun delete-word (arg)
>   "Delete characters forward until encountering the end of a word.
> With argument, do this that many times."
>   (interactive "p")
>   (delete-region (point) (progn (forward-word arg) (point))))
>
> (defun backward-delete-word (arg)
>   "Delete characters backward until encountering the end of a word.
> With argument, do this that many times."
>   (interactive "p")
>   (delete-word (- arg)))
>
> Assign (globally) keys to these functions and enjoy it.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for and it works like a
charm!  I hope to get the full sources installed for emacs once the
download site starts working again.