all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* enriched-mode stupidity
@ 2004-02-24  7:18 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-02-24  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've saved a text file in enriched-mode, and everytime I visit it, it
asks me:

   Make newlines between paragraphs hard? (y or n)

_Every single time_.

As I'm sure you can imagine, this is Very Annoying.

Surely this can't be the intended behavior, can it?

-Miles
--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen

* Re: enriched-mode stupidity
@ 2004-02-24 17:51 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-02-24 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I've saved a text file in enriched-mode, and everytime I visit it, it
    asks me:

       Make newlines between paragraphs hard? (y or n)

    _Every single time_.

    As I'm sure you can imagine, this is Very Annoying.

This is due to the following code

	 (use-hard-newlines 1 nil)

in enriched-mode.

I think the right thing to do would be to specify nil
when the user types M-x enriched-mode in a buffer that was
being edited outside enriched-mode, but not otherwise.

If this question were asked when the buffer contains no hard newlines,
would that work ok for you?  Are you using hard newlines in that file?

* Re: enriched-mode stupidity
@ 2004-02-24 20:00   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-02-24 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Miles Bader

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:51:24PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> If this question were asked when the buffer contains no hard newlines,
> would that work ok for you?  Are you using hard newlines in that file?

I'm not really even sure (I know what hard newlines are abstractly, but not
how emacs implements them); it was just four lines I copied from another
buffer (actually a Gnus summary buffer), and I wanted to save the faces too,
so I did `M-x enriched-mode' and saved the buffer.  Aside from the annoying
question, this seems to work fine.

Assuming that `hard newlines' are explicitly represented via a text property
or something, I'd guess the buffer _didn't_ contain any.

-Miles
--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.