all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changing colors of left and right "margin"
@ 2004-02-11 13:58 Felix E. Klee
       [not found] ` <mailman.2254.1076527282.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Felix E. Klee @ 2004-02-11 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

how can I change the color of the "margins" in EMACS that display e.g.
those little arrows that indicate a line break?

Felix

PS: To contact me off list don't reply but send mail to "felix.klee" at
the domain "inka.de". Otherwise your email to me might get automatically
deleted!

* Re: Changing colors of left and right "margin"
@ 2004-02-11 19:21 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.2254.1076527282.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-02-11 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee.news@gmx.net>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:58:36 +0100
>
> how can I change the color of the "margins" in EMACS that display e.g.
> those little arrows that indicate a line break?

By customizing the face called `fringe'.

@ 2004-02-11 20:18   ` Felix E. Klee
From: Felix E. Klee @ 2004-02-11 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:21:21 +0200 Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> By customizing the face called `fringe'.

Thanks, this worked fine.

@ 2004-02-12 17:43     ` nospam55
From: nospam55 @ 2004-02-12 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Felix E. Klee wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:21:21 +0200 Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> By customizing the face called `fringe'.
>
> Thanks, this worked fine.

I'm also interested, how can I customize that?

    nospam55

* . . .
@ 2004-02-12 17:47       ` nospam55
From: nospam55 @ 2004-02-12 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

nospam55 wrote:

> Felix E. Klee wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:21:21 +0200 Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>> By customizing the face called `fringe'.
>>
>> Thanks, this worked fine.
>>

> I'm also interested, how can I customize that?
>
>     nospam55

... I mean, do you think it is safe to edit the

(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(cperl-array-face ((t (:foreground "yellow" :slant italic))))
 '(cperl-hash-face ((t (:foreground "SpringGreen" :slant italic))))
  [etc]
 '(fringe ((((class color) (background dark)) (:background "darkslategray"))))

  [etc]

in .emacs ?
Is there another way to customize?
Another way to set the fringe face without customization functions?

thank you

* Re: Changing colors of left and right "margin"
@ 2004-02-12 19:07       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-02-12 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: nospam55 <nospa@no.yahoo.no>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:43:05 +0100
>
> I'm also interested, how can I customize that?

    M-x customize-face RET fringe RET
or
   (set-face-foreground 'fringe "WhateverFGColorYouWant")
   (set-face-background 'fringe "WhateverBGColorYouWant")

The node "Face Customization" in the Emacs user manual has more info.
The node "Faces" might also be an interesting reading.

* Re: . . .
@ 2004-02-13  3:00         ` Floyd Davidson
From: Floyd Davidson @ 2004-02-13  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

nospam55 <nospa@no.yahoo.no> wrote:
>nospam55 wrote:
>
>> Felix E. Klee wrote:

>>> Thanks, this worked fine.
>>>

>> I'm also interested, how can I customize that?
>>
>>     nospam55
>
>... I mean, do you think it is safe to edit the
>
>(custom-set-faces
>  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
>  ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
> '(cperl-array-face ((t (:foreground "yellow" :slant italic))))
> '(cperl-hash-face ((t (:foreground "SpringGreen" :slant italic))))
>  [etc]
> '(fringe ((((class color) (background dark)) (:background "darkslategray"))))
>
>  [etc]
>
>in .emacs ?

That's the easy way.

>Is there another way to customize?

Goto the "Options" menu, and the last item in it, the "Customize Emacs"
submenu. In that menu click on "Specific Face...".  It will prompt
you for which face or type return for all of them.  You can enter
"fringe", or get them all and search down the list for fringe.

Obviously you can either set it for that session or you can ask
Emacs to write it to the ~/.emacs file to make it permanent.

>Another way to set the fringe face without customization functions?

Sure.  The trick is to make it happen after the customization has
taken place.  Here is a function you can put into your ~/.emacs file
to do that.

(defun set-fringe ()
  "Change fringe color."
  (interactive)
  (set-face-background 'fringe  "red"))

It can be invoked as "M-x set-fringe", or...
here is a method you can add to your ~/.emacs file to make it
happen automatically,

(add-hook 'display-time-hook 'set-fringe)

If you wanted that to happen only one time, you could add
a (delete-hook ...) statement to the function.

--
Floyd L. Davidson           <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com

* Re: . . .
@ 2004-02-14 17:57         ` nospam55
From: nospam55 @ 2004-02-14 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

the

    (set-face-foreground 'fringe "wheat")
    (set-face-background 'fringe "Black")
`and

  (defun set-fringe ()
    "Change fringe color."
    (interactive)
    (set-face-background 'fringe  "red"))
`
work fine, thanks;

> Goto the "Options" menu, and the last item in it, the "Customize Emacs"
> submenu. In that menu click on "Specific Face...".  It will prompt
> you for which face or type return for all of them.  You can enter
> "fringe", or get them all and search down the list for fringe.

I see ... works also, thanks;
 how can I visit a list of colors ? I know a way, don't know if there
are better ones ...

* Re: . . .
@ 2004-02-15  1:59           ` Floyd Davidson
From: Floyd Davidson @ 2004-02-15  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

nospam55 <nospa@no.yahoo.no> wrote:
>the
>
>    (set-face-foreground 'fringe "wheat")
>    (set-face-background 'fringe "Black")
>`and
>
>  (defun set-fringe ()
>    "Change fringe color."
>    (interactive)
>    (set-face-background 'fringe  "red"))
>`
>work fine, thanks;
>
>> Goto the "Options" menu, and the last item in it, the "Customize Emacs"
>> submenu. In that menu click on "Specific Face...".  It will prompt
>> you for which face or type return for all of them.  You can enter
>> "fringe", or get them all and search down the list for fringe.
>
>I see ... works also, thanks;
> how can I visit a list of colors ? I know a way, don't know if there
>are better ones ...

 M-x list-colors-display

Another equally interesting command is

 M-x list-faces-display

Lets see, somewhere there was a command to list sink styles for
the kitchen...  ;-)