all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shell-command without output
@ 2003-12-15 18:36 Miguel Frasson
From: Miguel Frasson @ 2003-12-15 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

I am writing a major mode (frontend for a script) and I want to execute
shell commands, but *do not* read the output (unless I want, switching to an
output buffer, for instance).

shell-command always shows the output.

How to avoid that (no matter the script has output or not)?

[]'s

Miguel

--
Miguel Vinicius Santini Frasson
http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~frasson

* Re: shell-command without output
@ 2003-12-15 18:48 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-12-15 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miguel Frasson <frasson@enquist.math.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

> I am writing a major mode (frontend for a script) and I want to
> execute shell commands, but *do not* read the output (unless I want,
> switching to an output buffer, for instance).
>
> shell-command always shows the output.
>
> How to avoid that (no matter the script has output or not)?

Look up `call-process-shell-command' in the Emacs Lisp manual.

* Re: shell-command without output
@ 2003-12-16  9:47 ` Orm Finnendahl
From: Orm Finnendahl @ 2003-12-16  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15. Dezember 2003, 19:36 Uhr (+0100) schrieb Miguel Frasson:
> I am writing a major mode (frontend for a script) and I want to execute
> shell commands, but *do not* read the output (unless I want, switching to an
> output buffer, for instance).
>
> shell-command always shows the output.
>
> How to avoid that (no matter the script has output or not)?

redirect the output of the shell command to /dev/null

(like '<command> &> /dev/null')

--
Orm