all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Installation Question
@ 2003-12-11 18:35 exits funnel
From: exits funnel @ 2003-12-11 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

This is probably more of a general linux/unix question
than an EMACS question but here goes:  I've been using
emacs 20.7.1 on RedHat linux 7.2 for sometime now and
I just decided to upgrade to a newer EMACS version.  I
downloaded the 21.3.1 source from gnu.org and ran
configure and make without any problem.  I tested the
resulting binary which worked fine.  I then ran make
install which proceeded without error.  The result
seems to be that the new version is resting in
/usr/local/bin but /usr/bin which is first in my path
so when I try to run emacs I'm still getting the old
one.  I realize I could swap the order of the
directories in my path but I'm wondering what the
conventional solution is?  Should I just remove the
version in /usr/local/bin?  What's the difference
between /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin anyway?  Should
the install script have copied 21.3 to /usr/local/bin?
 Sorry for the rambling post but I just want to make
sure I have everything in the right place :)

-exits

http://photos.yahoo.com/

* Re: Installation Question
       [not found] <mailman.1597.1071171490.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-11 19:33 ` Jesper Harder
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-12-11 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> writes:

> The result seems to be that the new version is resting in
> /usr/local/bin but /usr/bin which is first in my path so when I try
> to run emacs I'm still getting the old one.  I realize I could swap
> the order of the directories in my path but I'm wondering what the
> conventional solution is?

That's what I do.

> Should I just remove the version in /usr/local/bin?

If you have tested that the new version works to your satisfaction,
you could just remove the old version -- 'rpm -e emacs'.

> What's the difference between /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin anyway?

/usr/local/bin is for executables installed locally, and /usr/bin for
executables supplied by the distribution, see hier(7).

@ 2003-12-11 19:37 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-12-11 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> writes:

> The result seems to be that the new version is resting in
> /usr/local/bin but /usr/bin which is first in my path so when I try
> to run emacs I'm still getting the old one.  I realize I could swap
> the order of the directories in my path but I'm wondering what the
> conventional solution is?  Should I just remove the version in
> /usr/local/bin?

No, that's the one you want to be running.  One potential approach-
not saying this is the correct or best one- is to change the name of
/usr/bin/emacs (e.g., 'mv /usr/bin/emacs old.emacs') and then create a
link in /usr/bin called 'emacs' that links to /usr/local/bin/emacs
which is your shiny new version. I don't know the correct syntax for
this in Linux, it's a little different than in BSDish Unixen IIRC.

> What's the difference between /usr/local/bin and /usr/bin anyway?
> Should the install script have copied 21.3 to /usr/local/bin?

/usr/bin is for system-installed binaries, whereas /usr/local/bin is
for user install binaries (or so I've been told).  Often 'make
install' puts new software in /usr/local/bin to avoid overwriting the
old software.

@ 2003-12-11 20:01 ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-12-11 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> writes:

        Many programs (including emacs) keep a symbolic link under
/usr/bin or /usr/local/bin as the main program -- this allows multiple
versions of the same program to exist.  So if I were you I'd ls -l
/usr/bin/emacs, and if it's a symbolic link, just delete it, and
create a new link to your new emacs.

-Dan

* Re: Installation Question
       [not found] <mailman.1597.1071171490.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-12-11 20:02 ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2003-12-11 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Don Dez 11 2003 at 19:35, exits funnel <exitsfunnel@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The result
> seems to be that the new version is resting in
> /usr/local/bin but /usr/bin which is first in my path
> so when I try to run emacs I'm still getting the old
> one.
/usr/local is the default location for local software installation which is
not part of the distribution. You can change the installation
location with the command line switches --prefix and --exec-prefix
for configure. ./configure --help tells you more.

HTH
Martin
--
Remove NOSPAM to reply by mail

* Installation question
@ 2012-09-03  8:00 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-09-03  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha list,

I'm having a difficult time installing org after upgrading to emacs 24.1
:(

If I make compile, then my initialization stops with an error because a
macro in org-compat.el can't be found.  If I make uncompiled, then
initialization appears to work correctly.

I'm working on a Mac and run emacs 24.1 from Emacs.app.  There is also an
emacs 22.1 in /usr/local/bin/.  I have an alias in .bashrc that
associates emacs with the emacs 24.1 from Emacs.app.  This works in my
regular bash shell.

However, make compile finds emacs 22.1, instead of emacs 24.1.  Could
this be the source of my difficulties?

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

* Re: Installation question
@ 2012-09-03  9:04 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-09-03  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Aloha list,
>
> I'm having a difficult time installing org after upgrading to emacs 24.1
> :(
>
> If I make compile, then my initialization stops with an error because a
> macro in org-compat.el can't be found.  If I make uncompiled, then
> initialization appears to work correctly.
>
> I'm working on a Mac and run emacs 24.1 from Emacs.app.  There is also an
> emacs 22.1 in /usr/local/bin/.  I have an alias in .bashrc that
> associates emacs with the emacs 24.1 from Emacs.app.  This works in my
> regular bash shell.
>
> However, make compile finds emacs 22.1, instead of emacs 24.1.  Could
> this be the source of my difficulties?

Point EMACS in local.mk.  This is the Emacs exe that will be used for
compilation.

> All the best,
> Tom

* Re: Installation question
@ 2012-09-03 17:39   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-09-03 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Org-mode

> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> Aloha list,
>>
>> I'm having a difficult time installing org after upgrading to emacs 24.1
>> :(
>>
>> If I make compile, then my initialization stops with an error because a
>> macro in org-compat.el can't be found.  If I make uncompiled, then
>> initialization appears to work correctly.
>>
>> I'm working on a Mac and run emacs 24.1 from Emacs.app.  There is also an
>> emacs 22.1 in /usr/local/bin/.  I have an alias in .bashrc that
>> associates emacs with the emacs 24.1 from Emacs.app.  This works in my
>> regular bash shell.
>>
>> However, make compile finds emacs 22.1, instead of emacs 24.1.  Could
>> this be the source of my difficulties?
>
> Point EMACS in local.mk.  This is the Emacs exe that will be used for
> compilation.

Aloha Jambunathan,

Thanks for this suggestion.  Unfortunately, my hope that compiling with
emacs 24.1 would solve my problem was in vain.

Compilation ends like this:

In end of data:
org.el:22582:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be defined:
    org-clock-sum-current-item, org-element-context
Wrote /Users/dk/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/lisp/org.elc
Done (Total of 111 files compiled, 2 skipped)

Initialization with the compiled installation gives this warning:

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `/Users/dk/.emacs.d/init.el':

Symbol's function definition is void: org-find-library-dir

Initialization will not give warnings if I make uncompiled.

These are new problems after upgrading to emacs 24.1 and Eric Schulte's
emacs 24 starter kit.  The starter kit seems to be working correctly.

Help?

All the best,
Tom
--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Installation question
@ 2012-09-14  6:23     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-09-14  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode, Jambunathan K

Hi Thomas,

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> These are new problems after upgrading to emacs 24.1 and Eric Schulte's
> emacs 24 starter kit.  The starter kit seems to be working correctly.

Apparently, there are problems using both the kit and Org from GNU ELPA.

If you can use git, my suggestion in this case would be to clone the Org
repo then to build Org from there.  You don't really need to know git,
you just need to have it and to let the repo point at the version you
want (problably the last commit in the maint branch.)

HTH,

--
 Bastien