all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs cvs over ssh question
@ 2003-12-05 21:05 David B
       [not found] ` <bE6Ab.569810$pl3.446339@pd7tw3no>
From: David B @ 2003-12-05 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I am trying to use the CVS functionality in emacs on Linux (RedHat 9).
I can connect to my repository over SSH and perform all tasks from the
shell, but when I try to do the same tasks from the emacs menu, I get
errors.

Error number one:
Message: ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
Message: Write failed: Broken pipe

This is resolved by installing X11-ssh-askpass, but this then leads to
a second error relating to failed authentification keys (cant remember
exact sytax- on a different box at the moment)

ssh version is
OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f

emacs version is
21.2

I have searched the web quite extensively, and have found many
pointers that suggest that cvs over ssh is possible in emacs, however
there is no concrete documentation in the pertinent places (emacs FAQ,
pcl_cvs faq, openssh.org), and the snippets that I have gained from
browsing google are promising but incomplete.

So- how does emacs access remote cvs repositories that use ssh
authentification?

Dave

* Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
@ 2003-12-05 23:34 ` Micha Feigin
       [not found] ` <bE6Ab.569810$pl3.446339@pd7tw3no>
From: Micha Feigin @ 2003-12-05 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 04:05:37PM -0500, David B wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to use the CVS functionality in emacs on Linux (RedHat 9).
> I can connect to my repository over SSH and perform all tasks from the
> shell, but when I try to do the same tasks from the emacs menu, I get
> errors.
>
> Error number one:
> Message: ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
> Message: Write failed: Broken pipe
>
> This is resolved by installing X11-ssh-askpass, but this then leads to
> a second error relating to failed authentification keys (cant remember
> exact sytax- on a different box at the moment)
>
> ssh version is
> OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
>
> emacs version is
> 21.2
>
> I have searched the web quite extensively, and have found many
> pointers that suggest that cvs over ssh is possible in emacs, however
> there is no concrete documentation in the pertinent places (emacs FAQ,
> pcl_cvs faq, openssh.org), and the snippets that I have gained from
> browsing google are promising but incomplete.
>
> So- how does emacs access remote cvs repositories that use ssh
> authentification?

Don't know if that is the solution you want, but you could try setting
up ssh authentication using rsa keys instead of a password, that way you
won't have to give a password (this is what I do, but I havn't tested it
with emacs yet. I'm also not using the standard ssh port, which makes
things even harder).

@ 2003-12-08 12:08   ` David B
From: David B @ 2003-12-08 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Taylor <ataylor@its.to> writes:

> This doesn't address your specific problem, but I typically use RSA
> key authentication by adding my public key to the list of authorized
> keys on the CVS server.

Actually that was the solution- many thanks!

David

* Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
@ 2003-12-21 20:47 M. Serkan Apaydin
From: M. Serkan Apaydin @ 2003-12-21 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> *From*: 	David B
> *Subject*: 	Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
> *Date*: 	08 Dec 2003 13:08:22 +0100
> *User-agent*: 	Gnus/5.09 (Gnus v5.9.0) Emacs/21.2

>Andrew Taylor <ataylor@bogus.example.com <http://mail.gnu.org/spam.html>> writes:
>>/ /
>>/ This doesn't address your specific problem, but I typically use RSA/
>>/ key authentication by adding my public key to the list of authorized/
>>/ keys on the CVS server./
>
>Actually that was the solution- many thanks!
>
>David

  Actually, I am also trying
to do the same. I have a remote repository, behind a firewall, and I can
connect it to it
using command line cvs, e.g. by saying:
setenv CVSROOT :ext:apaydin@robo:~/cvs_repository

but then when I try to use cvs within emacs, I get the error:
/usr/bin/ssh-askpass could not be found.

ssh-askpass is actually in /usr/local/bin,
and I could not find how to tell emacs where to look
for ssh-askpass. Simple add-path to .emacs in the form of:

(setq load-path (cons "/usr/local/bin/" load-path))
did not help.

Trying the solution suggested by Andrew Taylor requires setting the
CVSROOT as :pserver:apaydin@robo:~/cvs_repository
however then cvs login does not work, as connection is rejected by robo
since it is a firewall.

I was wondering you know of any solution for this case.

Thanks,

serkan

* Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
       [not found] <mailman.432.1072043395.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-22 15:29 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-22 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

"M. Serkan Apaydin" <apaydin@cs.stanford.edu> writes:

> (setq load-path (cons "/usr/local/bin/" load-path))
> did not help.

Try to add /usr/local/bin to exec-path, not load-path.  (load-path is
for *.el and *.elc files, that is Lisp files.)

Or make sure that /usr/local/bin is listed in $PATH at the time when
you start Emacs.  (If you start Emacs from a button in the KDE panel,
then it can be difficult to find out whether the directory is in
$PATH, and if it isn't, how to put it there.  I never could figure
that out.)

Kai

* Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
@ 2003-12-22 21:26   ` M. Serkan Apaydin
From: M. Serkan Apaydin @ 2003-12-22 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

>"M. Serkan Apaydin" <apaydin@cs.stanford.edu> writes:
>

>>(setq load-path (cons "/usr/local/bin/" load-path))
>>did not help.
>>

>Try to add /usr/local/bin to exec-path, not load-path.  (load-path is
>for *.el and *.elc files, that is Lisp files.)
>
>Or make sure that /usr/local/bin is listed in $PATH at the time when
>you start Emacs.  (If you start Emacs from a button in the KDE panel,
>then it can be difficult to find out whether the directory is in
>$PATH, and if it isn't, how to put it there.  I never could figure
>that out.)

Thanks, but that does not seem to work. Changing .emacs file does not change
the propensity of emacs to look for ssh-askpass in /usr/bin, and my path
lists
both /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin before running emacs (although /usr/bin
comes first).

serkan

* Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
@ 2003-12-23 18:10     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-23 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

M. Serkan Apaydin wrote:

> Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>> Try to add /usr/local/bin to exec-path, not load-path.  (load-path is
>> for *.el and *.elc files, that is Lisp files.)
>>
>> Or make sure that /usr/local/bin is listed in $PATH at the time when
>> you start Emacs.  (If you start Emacs from a button in the KDE panel,
>> then it can be difficult to find out whether the directory is in
>> $PATH, and if it isn't, how to put it there.  I never could figure
>> that out.)
>
> Thanks, but that does not seem to work. Changing .emacs file does not
> change
> the propensity of emacs to look for ssh-askpass in /usr/bin, and my path
> lists
> both /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin before running emacs (although /usr/bin
> comes first).

That's because the /usr/bin/ssh-askpass path has been hard-coded somewhere,

either an executable or an Emacs Lisp file.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
@ 2003-12-24 12:19       ` gebser
From: gebser @ 2003-12-24 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

At 11:10 (UTC-0700) on Tue, 23 Dec 2003 Kevin Rodgers said:

= M. Serkan Apaydin wrote:
=
= > Kai Grossjohann wrote:
= >> Try to add /usr/local/bin to exec-path, not load-path.  (load-path is
= >> for *.el and *.elc files, that is Lisp files.)
= >>
= >> Or make sure that /usr/local/bin is listed in $PATH at the time when
= >> you start Emacs.  (If you start Emacs from a button in the KDE panel,
= >> then it can be difficult to find out whether the directory is in
= >> $PATH, and if it isn't, how to put it there.  I never could figure
= >> that out.)
= >
= > Thanks, but that does not seem to work. Changing .emacs file does not
= > change
= > the propensity of emacs to look for ssh-askpass in /usr/bin, and my path
= > lists
= > both /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin before running emacs (although /usr/bin
= > comes first).
=
= That's because the /usr/bin/ssh-askpass path has been hard-coded somewhere,
=
= either an executable or an Emacs Lisp file.

This will depend upon the OS and, in the case of Linux, the
distribution.  On my system:

# echo $SSH_ASKPASS
/usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass

Seeing this and reading the askpass section of the ssh manpage and the
doc distributed with the package leads me to believe/guess that
ssh-askpass is used in an X (or other GUI) environment.  If you're
doing the emacs cvs call in a GUI, this could be the problem.  Try doing
it at the console-- i.e., go to runlevel 3 or, in X/Linux, do a
Ctrl-Alt-F2 and run it there.

So which OS are you using?

hth,
ken

* Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
       [not found] <mailman.569.1072272177.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-24 17:56 ` M. Serkan Apaydin
From: M. Serkan Apaydin @ 2003-12-24 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

gebser@speakeasy.net wrote:

>At 11:10 (UTC-0700) on Tue, 23 Dec 2003 Kevin Rodgers said:
>
>= M. Serkan Apaydin wrote:
>=
>= > Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>= >> Try to add /usr/local/bin to exec-path, not load-path.  (load-path is
>= >> for *.el and *.elc files, that is Lisp files.)
>= >>
>= >> Or make sure that /usr/local/bin is listed in $PATH at the time when
>= >> you start Emacs.  (If you start Emacs from a button in the KDE panel,
>= >> then it can be difficult to find out whether the directory is in
>= >> $PATH, and if it isn't, how to put it there.  I never could figure
>= >> that out.)
>= >
>= > Thanks, but that does not seem to work. Changing .emacs file does not
>= > change
>= > the propensity of emacs to look for ssh-askpass in /usr/bin, and my path
>= > lists
>= > both /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin before running emacs (although /usr/bin
>= > comes first).
>=
>= That's because the /usr/bin/ssh-askpass path has been hard-coded somewhere,
>=
>= either an executable or an Emacs Lisp file.
>
>This will depend upon the OS and, in the case of Linux, the
>distribution.  On my system:
>
># echo $SSH_ASKPASS
>/usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass
>
>Seeing this and reading the askpass section of the ssh manpage and the
>doc distributed with the package leads me to believe/guess that
>ssh-askpass is used in an X (or other GUI) environment.  If you're
>doing the emacs cvs call in a GUI, this could be the problem.  Try doing
>it at the console-- i.e., go to runlevel 3 or, in X/Linux, do a
>Ctrl-Alt-F2 and run it there.
>
>So which OS are you using?

I am running it on an SGI supercomputer. Typing
 >uname
IRIX64
 > echo $SSH_ASKPASS
SSH_ASKPASS: Undefined variable.

There is no way to go to console for me, as I am always logging in to this machine from another.

serkan

* Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
@ 2003-12-24 20:07   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-12-24 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

M. Serkan Apaydin wrote:

> gebser@speakeasy.net wrote:
>> This will depend upon the OS and, in the case of Linux, the
>> distribution.  On my system:
>>
>> # echo $SSH_ASKPASS
>> /usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass
>>
>> Seeing this and reading the askpass section of the ssh manpage and the
>> doc distributed with the package leads me to believe/guess that
>> ssh-askpass is used in an X (or other GUI) environment.  If you're
>> doing the emacs cvs call in a GUI, this could be the problem.  Try
>> doing it at the console-- i.e., go to runlevel 3 or, in X/Linux, do a
>> Ctrl-Alt-F2 and run it there.
>> So which OS are you using?
>
> I am running it on an SGI supercomputer. Typing
>  >uname
> IRIX64
>  > echo $SSH_ASKPASS
> SSH_ASKPASS: Undefined variable.

Try: env | grep ssh-askpass
and: env | grep /usr/bin

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
@ 2003-12-24 22:28     ` M. Serkan Apaydin
From: M. Serkan Apaydin @ 2003-12-24 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> M. Serkan Apaydin wrote:
>
>> gebser@speakeasy.net wrote:
>>
>>> This will depend upon the OS and, in the case of Linux, the
>>> distribution.  On my system:
>>>
>>> # echo $SSH_ASKPASS
>>> /usr/libexec/openssh/gnome-ssh-askpass
>>>
>>> Seeing this and reading the askpass section of the ssh manpage and the
>>> doc distributed with the package leads me to believe/guess that
>>> ssh-askpass is used in an X (or other GUI) environment.  If you're
>>> doing the emacs cvs call in a GUI, this could be the problem.  Try
>>> doing it at the console-- i.e., go to runlevel 3 or, in X/Linux, do
>>> a Ctrl-Alt-F2 and run it there. So which OS are you using?
>>

>> I am running it on an SGI supercomputer. Typing
>>  >uname
>> IRIX64
>>  > echo $SSH_ASKPASS
>> SSH_ASKPASS: Undefined variable.
>

> Try: env | grep ssh-askpass
> and: env | grep /usr/bin

Vesalius:/u/apaydin> env | grep ssh-askpass
Vesalius:/u/apaydin> env | grep /usr/bin
PATH=/usr/local/sge/bin/irix6:/u/apaydin/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/usr/bsd:/bin:/sbin:/usr/etc:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/freeware/bin:/usr/local/bin:./

thanks,

serkan

* Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
@ 2004-01-02 22:43   ` gebser
From: gebser @ 2004-01-02 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

At 09:56 (UTC-0800) on Wed, 24 Dec 2003 M. Serkan Apaydin said:

= gebser@speakeasy.net wrote:
=
= >At 11:10 (UTC-0700) on Tue, 23 Dec 2003 Kevin Rodgers said:
= >
= >= M. Serkan Apaydin wrote:
= >=
= >= > Kai Grossjohann wrote:
= >= >> Try to add /usr/local/bin to exec-path, not load-path.  (load-path is
= >= >> for *.el and *.elc files, that is Lisp files.)
= >= >>
= >= >> Or make sure that /usr/local/bin is listed in $PATH at the time when
= >= >> you start Emacs.  (If you start Emacs from a button in the KDE panel,
= >= >> then it can be difficult to find out whether the directory is in
= >= >> $PATH, and if it isn't, how to put it there.  I never could figure
= >= >> that out.)
= >= >
[...]

Do you have openssh installed?  Doing "whereis openssh" should tell you
and may even tell you where ssh-askpass is located.  If you haven't
updated the database in awhile, do updatedb first.

hth,
ken