all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* changing menu fonts
@ 2003-11-28  0:28 Micha Feigin
From: Micha Feigin @ 2003-11-28  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

How do I change the menu font with emacs 21.3.50 (its the bidi-emacs
version)
I try to use flyspell with hebrew, and it seems to work, except that the
popup window with the corrections show giberish since its in the wrong
font.
I am using debian unstable with openbox3 (considering a move to fvwm) if
it matters for the answear.

Thanx

* Re: changing menu fonts
@ 2003-11-30  6:57 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-11-30  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 02:28:06 +0200
> From: Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>
>
> How do I change the menu font with emacs 21.3.50 (its the bidi-emacs
> version)
> I try to use flyspell with hebrew, and it seems to work, except that the
> popup window with the corrections show giberish since its in the wrong
> font.

Please ask these questions on emacs-devel@gnu.org or
emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  Problems with CVS versions of Emacs don't
belong here, and most of the people who can help you aren't here
anyway.

* Re: changing menu fonts
@ 2003-11-30 21:51   ` Micha Feigin
From: Micha Feigin @ 2003-11-30 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 08:57:55AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 02:28:06 +0200
> > From: Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>
> >
> > How do I change the menu font with emacs 21.3.50 (its the bidi-emacs
> > version)
> > I try to use flyspell with hebrew, and it seems to work, except that the
> > popup window with the corrections show giberish since its in the wrong
> > font.
>
> Please ask these questions on emacs-devel@gnu.org or
> emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.  Problems with CVS versions of Emacs don't
> belong here, and most of the people who can help you aren't here
> anyway.

In that case, how would I go about changing the menu font of stable
emacs (I am guessing that it hasn't changed in the mean time).
The fonts have changed by changing the order of font entries in XF86Config.

* Re: changing menu fonts
@ 2003-12-01  5:56     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-12-01  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:51:34 +0200
> From: Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>
>
> In that case, how would I go about changing the menu font of stable
> emacs

I don't really know (it depends on the toolkit that your Emacs was
built), but if you think that changing the font will solve your
problem with Hebrew spell-checking, I think you are mistaken.  This is
a multi-lingual issue, not a font issue.  That's why I still suggest
to write to emacs-pretest-bug or emacs-devel.

* Re: changing menu fonts
@ 2003-12-01 11:46       ` Micha Feigin
From: Micha Feigin @ 2003-12-01 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 07:56:42AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 23:51:34 +0200
> > From: Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>
> >
> > In that case, how would I go about changing the menu font of stable
> > emacs
>
> I don't really know (it depends on the toolkit that your Emacs was
> built), but if you think that changing the font will solve your
> problem with Hebrew spell-checking, I think you are mistaken.  This is
> a multi-lingual issue, not a font issue.  That's why I still suggest
> to write to emacs-pretest-bug or emacs-devel.

It actually solved the issue. I changed the order of the font entries in
XF86Config and for the truetype dir on top instead of type1. I now get
hebrew letters for the flyspell menu and a nicer font for the regular
menus.
The two problems I have is that the hebrew characters are reversed in
the popup menu (that was expected and its probably more of a wishlist
then a bug at the moment) and the other problem is that the font is a
bit too big for my taste and that has nothing to do with hebrew.
The toolkit used is the default one (I didn't add any options) so I
don't know which one that is (anyone).