all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* special symbol
@ 2003-05-13 21:38 Guldo K
From: Guldo K @ 2003-05-13 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

I have to type a certain symbol, it's quite like <'>, you know, the one used mostly at the beginning of words in tex docs.
I tried Shift+' and AltGr+', and I got two different symbols, but none works.
Works for what?
I need it for musixtex.
So, is there another way I don't know to get that kind of symbol?

Thanks,

Guldo

* Re: special symbol
@ 2003-05-15  8:33 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-15  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guldo K <guldo@tiscali.it> writes:

> I have to type a certain symbol, it's quite like <'>, you know, the one used mostly at the beginning of words in tex docs.
> I tried Shift+' and AltGr+', and I got two different symbols, but none works.
> Works for what?
> I need it for musixtex.
> So, is there another way I don't know to get that kind of symbol?

It's hard to say what the symbol might be on an Italian keyboard, but
maybe you have dead keys?  I mean a key ' that you press together
with e to get the character é, and a key ` that you press together
with e to get è.

Then ` followed by space and ' followed by space should give you left
and right single quotes, as used by TeX.

--
This line is not blank.

* Re: special symbol
@ 2003-05-15 12:31   ` Guldo K
From: Guldo K @ 2003-05-15 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 15 May 2003 10:33:12 +0200
kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> Guldo K <guldo@tiscali.it> writes:
>
> > I have to type a certain symbol, it's quite like <'>, you know, the one used mostly at the beginning of words in tex docs.
> > I tried Shift+' and AltGr+', and I got two different symbols, but none works.
> > Works for what?
> > I need it for musixtex.
> > So, is there another way I don't know to get that kind of symbol?
>
> It's hard to say what the symbol might be on an Italian keyboard, but
> maybe you have dead keys?  I mean a key ' that you press together
> with e to get the character é, and a key ` that you press together
> with e to get è.
I have no such keys. I have a single key with é, è and [.
I can't understand why the usual ` (AltGr + ') is not understood properly by musixtex, since it works fine in (La)TeX.

Thanks,

Guldo

* Re: special symbol
@ 2003-05-15 15:07     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-05-15 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guldo K <guldo@tiscali.it> writes:

> I can't understand why the usual ` (AltGr + ') is not understood
> properly by musixtex, since it works fine in (La)TeX.

It seems to be the right character.  I saw Ascii 96, here.

What happens when you use C-q 140 RET to enter the character?  If
that also fails, then it must be a MusicTeX problem.  I guess.
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: special symbol
@ 2003-05-15 15:12       ` Guldo K
From: Guldo K @ 2003-05-15 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 15 May 2003 17:07:38 +0200
kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> Guldo K <guldo@tiscali.it> writes:
>
> > I can't understand why the usual ` (AltGr + ') is not understood
> > properly by musixtex, since it works fine in (La)TeX.
>
> It seems to be the right character.  I saw Ascii 96, here.
>
> What happens when you use C-q 140 RET to enter the character?
Same as before. The character is displayed correctly, but it is not correctly used by musixtex.

> If that also fails, then it must be a MusicTeX problem.  I guess.
You could be right.

Thank you,

Guldo

* Re: special symbol
@ 2003-05-15 15:31         ` upro
From: upro @ 2003-05-15 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guldo K <guldo@tiscali.it> writes:

> On Thu, 15 May 2003 17:07:38 +0200
> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) wrote:
>
>> Guldo K <guldo@tiscali.it> writes:
>>
>> > I can't understand why the usual ` (AltGr + ') is not understood
>> > properly by musixtex, since it works fine in (La)TeX.
>>
>> It seems to be the right character.  I saw Ascii 96, here.
>>
>> What happens when you use C-q 140 RET to enter the character?
> Same as before. The character is displayed correctly, but it is not correctly used by musixtex.
>
>> If that also fails, then it must be a MusicTeX problem.  I guess.
> You could be right.

Why don't you use Lilypond? AFAIK it's much more advanced than
MusicTeX, anyway (and still much less comfortable than Sibelius,
unfortunately...)

Let me know...!

Michael

--
Michael

r-znvy: zvpunry.wryqra  jro.qr (chg gur "@" jurer vg svgf...)
ab fcnz cyrnfr

* LilyPond (was Re: special symbol)
@ 2003-05-16 15:05           ` Guldo K
From: Guldo K @ 2003-05-16 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 15 May 2003 17:31:52 +0200
upro <upro@gmx.net> wrote:

> Why don't you use Lilypond? AFAIK it's much more advanced than
> MusicTeX, anyway (and still much less comfortable than Sibelius,
> unfortunately...)
>
> Let me know...!
WOW! Thank you very much! I wasn't aware of the existence of LilyPond! VERY NICE! A lot easier that musixtex. And it can be integrated in a tex document as well. :-))
And there's the debian stable pckg too!
I o u 1!

But I have this little problem with grace notes. I'd like to have the grace note without the slash. I know there's
\grace {
\property Voice.Stem \override #'stroke-style = #'()
c16
\property Voice.Stem \revert #'stroke-style
} c4

but I'd have to use it a lot of times...
Isn't there anything similar to:
\renewcommand\mygrace{.....}
so that I could just use
\mygrace c16
in my document?
Moreover, I have NO grace-init.ly file.

Thank you VERY, VERY MUCH !!!

Guldo
Linux 2.4.20
Debian Woody 3.0r1
ly2dvi (GNU LilyPond) 1.4.12

* Re: LilyPond (was Re: special symbol)
@ 2003-05-19  8:12             ` upro
From: upro @ 2003-05-19  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guldo K <guldo@tiscali.it> writes:

> On Thu, 15 May 2003 17:31:52 +0200
> upro <upro@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Why don't you use Lilypond? AFAIK it's much more advanced than
>> MusicTeX, anyway (and still much less comfortable than Sibelius,
>> unfortunately...)
>>
>> Let me know...!
> WOW! Thank you very much! I wasn't aware of the existence of LilyPond! VERY NICE! A lot easier that musixtex. And it can be integrated in a tex document as well. :-))
> And there's the debian stable pckg too!
> I o u 1!
>
> But I have this little problem with grace notes. I'd like to have the grace note without the slash. I know there's

Did you have a look at the lilypond documentation? I don't recall it,
but AFAIR there was a way to get that... Let me know if you don't find
it in the html documentation.

> \grace {
> \property Voice.Stem \override #'stroke-style = #'()
> c16
> \property Voice.Stem \revert #'stroke-style
> } c4
>
> but I'd have to use it a lot of times...
> Isn't there anything similar to:
> \renewcommand\mygrace{.....}
> so that I could just use
> \mygrace c16
> in my document?
> Moreover, I have NO grace-init.ly file.

Well, I used LilyPond 1.6.4, and have a grace-init.el in
/usr/share/texmf/share/lilypond/1.6.4/ly/. I don't remember if I had
to install it seperatelxy or what... If you don't have it in the
package get the source code and tale it from there.

Anyway, I liked LilyPond, but if you have to typeset large pieces (as
entire concertos, or symphonies) it's imho very tedious to type every
note, particularly doubestops, chords etc.

When you come to compile a score of, let's say, 20 pages, LilyPond
uses up lots of TeX resources and you have to edit some of the TeX
configuration files in order to get it compiled.

I don't know how LilyPond would behave with a 300 page score, and I
don't want to run the risk of typing tons of music and then find out
that ly2dvi crashes because the file is too large...

I have on machine with a Win2k partition on which I run Sibelius 1.4
which is definitely nice and quick. I kinda abandined LilyPond some
months ago. ly2dvi's output looks nicer (of course), but Sibelius is
so much faster to use...

I'm interested in what you are actually writing: How large is it,
instruments, evtl. lyrics?

--
Michael Jelden

This moment's random quote:

"Last week a cop stopped me in my car. He asked me if I had a police
record. I said, no, but I have the new DEVO album. Cops have no sense
of humor."

* Re: special symbol
@ 2003-06-04  9:56 ` harald kraetzschmer
From: harald kraetzschmer @ 2003-06-04  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have to type a certain symbol, it's quite like <'>, you know, the one used

Have you tried "\caesura"?