all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cursor does not change on focus changes
@ 2003-05-02 23:03 Darren Dunham
From: Darren Dunham @ 2003-05-02 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

--text follows this line--
This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English, because the Emacs maintainers do not have
translators to read other languages for them.

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

In GNU Emacs 21.3.2 (i386-pc-solaris2.8, X toolkit)
 of 2003-04-28 on tracon
configured using `configure  --with-x --prefix=/usr/site/emacs-21.3'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

Solaris 8, x86.  When running 21.3.2 under CDE in an X window, all is
well.  When running with no window manager, or under TWM (my
environment), the active cursor does not change to a solid block, but
remains an outline.  This is true whether the focus changes due to mouse
movements, or due to commands (like C-x o).

The actual focus appears to be correct.  Text will enter the window that
I expect to have focus, there is just no feedback from emacs (based on
the cursor) about the state.

My previous version, 20.6.1 was built on Solaris 2.6, x86.  When running
on 2.6 or on 8, the cursor changes to solid on focus or window changes
as expected.

When 21.3.2 is run with -nw, the cursor changes are fine in all
situations.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham@taos.com
Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company

* Re: Cursor does not change on focus changes
@ 2003-05-03 12:32 ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2003-05-03 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

* Re: Cursor does not change on focus changes
@ 2003-05-03 16:51   ` Darren Dunham
From: Darren Dunham @ 2003-05-03 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Emacs 21,3, when running with no window manager, or under TWM (my
> > environment), the active cursor does not change to a solid block, but
> > remains an outline.  This is true whether the focus changes due to mouse
> > movements, or due to commands (like C-x o).
>
> I can confirm this problem on GNU/Linux with TWM. This has been solved
> on the CVS development version (HEAD, 21.3.50).

Sounds great.

> There is a work around
> (on my system) - display an X window (any - xterm xmessage or other)
> OVER the emacs window and move the mouse back and forth on the Emacs
> and the other window. These will restore the block cursor.

Because I am able to run 20.6 at the moment, this isn't causing me
grief, but I thought I'd llet you know that I tried the workaround and
it didn't seem to do anything on Solaris8/TWM.

I've placed an xterm over the emacs window.  When I move the mouse back
and forth, the xterm cursor reacts normally, but the emacs cursor
remains outline.  I don't know if it means anything that it's responding
differently than the Linux system.

--

@ 2003-05-04 13:04   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-05-04 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

    > Emacs 21,3, when running with no window manager, or under TWM (my
    > environment), the active cursor does not change to a solid block, but
    > remains an outline.  This is true whether the focus changes due to mouse
    > movements, or due to commands (like C-x o).

    I can confirm this problem on GNU/Linux with TWM. This has been solved
    on the CVS development version (HEAD, 21.3.50).

This is a serious and highly visible problem.  If you can extract the
change that fixed this and adapt it for 21.3, we would want to install
it there for another possible bug-fix release.