all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Fwd: fill-paragraph puts one useless blank at the end of many Chinese big5 lines
       [not found] <200304211502.h3LF2uFT029217@rum.cs.yale.edu>
@ 2003-04-21 23:07 ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-04-21 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Richard Stallman

>> fill-paragraph puts one useless blank at the end of many of these
>> Chinese big5 lines here in locale zh_TW.Big5 when I set fill-column to
>> 16 or 17 etc. I uuencoded the sample input:

S> It's done on purpose (in fill-newline):

S>   (if (and (= (following-char) ?\ )
S> 	   (or (aref (char-category-set (preceding-char)) ?|)
S> 	       (looking-at "[ \t]+\\c|")))
S>       ;; We need one space at end of line so that
S>       ;; further filling won't delete it.  NOTE: We
S>       ;; intentionally leave this one space to
S>       ;; distinguish the case that user wants to put
S>       ;; space between \c| characters.
S>       (forward-char 1))

Well, whatever... except that I now see them with (setq-default
show-trailing-whitespace t) and my thrifty genes say they must go.
Plus it's not very environmentally conscious [uses disk space].  And,
it may very well have effects beyond what you thought.  And, if I must
clean it up afterwards, you should do it for me before I see it.  And,
it looks sloppy.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: Fwd: fill-paragraph puts one useless blank at the end of many Chinese big5 lines
@ 2003-04-22  6:56   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2003-04-22  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier+gnu/emacs

In article <87ist78n65.fsf@jidanni.org>, Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> writes:
>>>  fill-paragraph puts one useless blank at the end of many of these
>>>  Chinese big5 lines here in locale zh_TW.Big5 when I set fill-column to
>>>  16 or 17 etc. I uuencoded the sample input:

S>  It's done on purpose (in fill-newline):

S>    (if (and (= (following-char) ?\ )
S>  	   (or (aref (char-category-set (preceding-char)) ?|)
S>  	       (looking-at "[ \t]+\\c|")))
S>        ;; We need one space at end of line so that
S>        ;; further filling won't delete it.  NOTE: We
S>        ;; intentionally leave this one space to
S>        ;; distinguish the case that user wants to put
S>        ;; space between \c| characters.
S>        (forward-char 1))

> Well, whatever... except that I now see them with (setq-default
> show-trailing-whitespace t) and my thrifty genes say they must go.
> Plus it's not very environmentally conscious [uses disk space].  And,
> it may very well have effects beyond what you thought.  And, if I must
> clean it up afterwards, you should do it for me before I see it.  And,
> it looks sloppy.

Perhaps, by adding some text property to such newlines that
replaces white spaces between \c| characters, we can avoid
leaving those spaces.

Stefan, what do you think?  Currently I myself don't have a
time to work on fill.el (it seems that the file has been
widely changed since I wrote the above code).  Could you
work on it?  Otherwise, I'll put this matter in my TODO
list.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: Fwd: fill-paragraph puts one useless blank at the end of many Chinese big5 lines
@ 2003-04-22 13:43     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-04-22 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier+gnu/emacs

> S>  It's done on purpose (in fill-newline):
>
> S>    (if (and (= (following-char) ?\ )
> S>  	   (or (aref (char-category-set (preceding-char)) ?|)
> S>  	       (looking-at "[ \t]+\\c|")))
> S>        ;; We need one space at end of line so that
> S>        ;; further filling won't delete it.  NOTE: We
> S>        ;; intentionally leave this one space to
> S>        ;; distinguish the case that user wants to put
> S>        ;; space between \c| characters.
> S>        (forward-char 1))
>
> > Well, whatever... except that I now see them with (setq-default
> > show-trailing-whitespace t) and my thrifty genes say they must go.
> > Plus it's not very environmentally conscious [uses disk space].  And,
> > it may very well have effects beyond what you thought.  And, if I must
> > clean it up afterwards, you should do it for me before I see it.  And,
> > it looks sloppy.
>
> Perhaps, by adding some text property to such newlines that
> replaces white spaces between \c| characters, we can avoid
> leaving those spaces.

Of course.

> Stefan, what do you think?  Currently I myself don't have a
> time to work on fill.el (it seems that the file has been
> widely changed since I wrote the above code).  Could you
> work on it?  Otherwise, I'll put this matter in my TODO list.

It's been reorganized.  The way it works is the same, tho.

I'll try coding it up, but do put it on your TODO list, just in case.

* Re: Fwd: fill-paragraph puts one useless blank at the end of many Chinese big5 lines
@ 2003-04-22 23:15       ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2003-04-22 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier+gnu/emacs

In article <200304221343.h3MDh1ck007969@rum.cs.yale.edu>, "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu> writes:
>>  Stefan, what do you think?  Currently I myself don't have a
>>  time to work on fill.el (it seems that the file has been
>>  widely changed since I wrote the above code).  Could you
>>  work on it?  Otherwise, I'll put this matter in my TODO list.

> It's been reorganized.  The way it works is the same, tho.

> I'll try coding it up, but do put it on your TODO list, just in case.

Ok, and thank you.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org