all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* a simple string manipulation
@ 2003-04-05 14:04 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2003-04-05 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi to everyone,
I've got a simple problem (I think) that is related to a string manipulation.
I must write often strings like this:
MOVE 	A	TO	B

and after it's opposite
MOVE 	B	TO	A

Now I'd like to know if there's a way to set a key function so that after I've
got a group of strings I can simply copy and paste and revert they.
Can you shown me how?
Thanks

--
Luca Ferrari,
fluca1978@libero.it

* Re: a simple string manipulation
       [not found] <mailman.4152.1049555367.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-04-05 16:36 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-05 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@libero.it> writes:

> MOVE 	A	TO	B
> MOVE 	B	TO	A

Well, putting point between A and TO, then M-t M-t M-b M-t, does the
trick.  Maybe better than nothing.

@ 2003-04-06  4:16 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2003-04-06  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@libero.it> writes:

> Hi to everyone,
> I've got a simple problem (I think) that is related to a string manipulation.
> I must write often strings like this:
> MOVE 	A	TO	B
>
> and after it's opposite
> MOVE 	B	TO	A
>
> Now I'd like to know if there's a way to set a key function so that
> after I've  got a group of strings I can simply copy and paste and
> revert they.  Can you shown me how?  Thanks

I would do:
M-x replace-regexp
MOVE \(.*\) TO \(.*\)
MOVE \2 TO \1

You could put the equivalent into an interactive function:

    ;; untested code follows:
    (defun reverse-moves-region (start end)
        (interactive "*r")
        (goto-char end)
        (insert (buffer-substring start end))
        (goto-char end)
        (while (re-search-forward "MOVE \\(.*\\) TO \\(.*\\)" nil t)
            (replace-match "MOVE \\2 TO \\1")))

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.