all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* navigating other buffers
@ 2003-04-04 21:42 Eric Winger
From: Eric Winger @ 2003-04-04 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have found myself on many occasions, within one buffer while a Buffer List,
or Dired is in the other buffer. I can scroll that other buffer without
leaving the safety and security of my own buffer using M<page down/up>.

But I'd really like to be able to a remote Cn, Cp & f without leaving my own
buffer. Is this possible in emacs? Basically, select lines from that other
buffer and open new buffers without leaving my own buffers.

thx much

Eric

* Re: navigating other buffers
       [not found] <mailman.4136.1049492538.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-04-05 20:29 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-05 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Winger <ewinger@keyww.com> writes:

> But I'd really like to be able to a remote Cn, Cp & f without
> leaving my own buffer. Is this possible in emacs? Basically, select
> lines from that other buffer and open new buffers without leaving my
> own buffers.

No, I don't think this is (easily) possible.  There is vcursor.el
which gives you a second cursor, so to speak.  But it is for
navigating the current buffer only -- though it does auto-split the
window when necessary.

Maybe what you really want is to set a global mark and to then return
it it later on.  Hm.  With CUA mode, it seems that C-SPC pushes the
global mark and then you can use C-x C-@ to jump back to it.