all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Possible Bug - The return of the \201
@ 2003-02-12 16:40 Hans-Peter Binder
From: Hans-Peter Binder @ 2003-02-12 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a problem with current Emacs from CVS. When i start Gnus,
i see in the article-buffer, and only in the article-buffer, all
German Umlauts with a \201, like Umläüte.
This appears IMO since 10.02.2003. The Emacs built from cvs-10.02.03
have this problem, and builds before never have this on my machine.
I have tested this with Oort Gnus v0.16 and also with the built-in
Gnus-5.9. And I see the correct display when i use Emacs from CVS
build before 10.02.03.

There is a problem, but it has nothing to do with the Gnus
functionality. I'm pretty sure the problem is with the Emacs from CVS
since 10.02.2003.

Version of this emacs:
  GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin5.5)
 of 2003-02-12 on hyperion.mac

Configuration options:
  '--without-x' '--enable-carbon-app'

Multibyte characters awareness:
  default: t
  current-buffer: t

Current language environment: German
Window-system: mac1
Coding system of the terminal: iso-8859-1

I have tried tests to set many of the language-environments and
coding-systems, but it fails too.

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards/Gruesse
Hans-Peter Binder
--
(coffee-mode 1)

* Re: Possible Bug - The return of the \201
@ 2003-02-12 17:09 ` Hans-Peter Binder
From: Hans-Peter Binder @ 2003-02-12 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Hans-Peter Binder <tethys.pb@gmx.de> writes:
I followup to myself:

> I have a problem with current Emacs from CVS. When i start Gnus,
> i see in the article-buffer, and only in the article-buffer, all
> German Umlauts with a \201, like Umläüte.
                                   ^^^^^^
I mean't  Uml\201ä\201üte with a \201 before the Umlauts.

As i can see, the Problem not occured in Mails, only in News article
buffers.

Regards/Gruesse
Hans-Peter Binder
--

@ 2003-02-13  6:26   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-02-13  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hans-Peter Binder <tethys.pb@gmx.de> writes:
> As i can see, the Problem not occured in Mails, only in News article
> buffers.

It's certainly showing up in your email, and I use Gnus to read email,
so probably the problem lies there (I'm under the impression that Gnus
has always been a bit flaky with respect to this stuff).

I assume this is related to the recent process multibyte changes.

-Miles
--
Is it true that nothing can be known?  If so how do we know this?  -Woody Allen

* Re: Possible Bug - The return of the \201
@ 2003-02-13 13:50 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-02-13 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans-Peter Binder <tethys.pb@gmx.de> writes:

> I have a problem with current Emacs from CVS. When i start Gnus,
> i see in the article-buffer, and only in the article-buffer, all
> German Umlauts with a \201, like Umläüte.
> This appears IMO since 10.02.2003. The Emacs built from cvs-10.02.03
> have this problem, and builds before never have this on my machine.
> I have tested this with Oort Gnus v0.16 and also with the built-in
> Gnus-5.9. And I see the correct display when i use Emacs from CVS
> build before 10.02.03.

I see the same problem with todays CVS head under MS Windows.

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

* Re: Possible Bug - The return of the \201
@ 2003-02-13 15:07     ` Hans-Peter Binder
From: Hans-Peter Binder @ 2003-02-13 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

* Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> writes:

> Hans-Peter Binder <tethys.pb@gmx.de> writes:
>> As i can see, the Problem not occured in Mails, only in News article
>> buffers.
>
> It's certainly showing up in your email, and I use Gnus to read email,
> so probably the problem lies there (I'm under the impression that Gnus
> has always been a bit flaky with respect to this stuff).
>
> I assume this is related to the recent process multibyte changes.

Yes, of course, you're right.
I changed the files process.c, buffer.c and lisp.h from /emacs/src/ in
the current CVS to the versions one step before, and everything is ok
here.

See the ChangeLog entry 2003-02-10  Kenichi Handa  <handa@m17n.org>

Regards/Gruesse
Hans-Peter Binder
--

@ 2003-02-17  0:35       ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2003-02-17  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: miles

In article <pb.m24r78p6ca.fsf@ID-42241.news.dfncis.de>, Hans-Peter Binder <tethys.pb@gmx.net> writes:
> * Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> writes:
>>  Hans-Peter Binder <tethys.pb@gmx.de> writes:
>>>  As i can see, the Problem not occured in Mails, only in News article
>>>  buffers.
>>
>>  It's certainly showing up in your email, and I use Gnus to read email,
>>  so probably the problem lies there (I'm under the impression that Gnus
>>  has always been a bit flaky with respect to this stuff).
>>
>>  I assume this is related to the recent process multibyte changes.

> Yes, of course, you're right.
> I changed the files process.c, buffer.c and lisp.h from /emacs/src/ in
> the current CVS to the versions one step before, and everything is ok
> here.

> See the ChangeLog entry 2003-02-10  Kenichi Handa  <handa@m17n.org>

Yes, I did a silly mistake in string-to-multibyte, sorry.
I've just fixed it.  Please try the latest CVS HEAD code.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org