all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* universal backup directory
@ 2003-01-27 15:43 john doe
From: john doe @ 2003-01-27 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have the following entry in my dotfile:

;; MAKE ALL BACKUPS TO A SINGLE DIRECTORY
(setq backup-directory-alist `(("." .
,(file-name-nondirectory "~/.emacs_backups"))))

This will make backups in the current directory to a
dir called .emacs_backups -- however, is there a way
to make one universal backup directory that all emacs
files go to regardless of where they are saved?

Thanks!

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

* Re: universal backup directory
       [not found] <mailman.1039.1043683280.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-01-27 17:48 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-27 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

john doe <m0nkeyd0g2000@yahoo.com> writes:

> ;; MAKE ALL BACKUPS TO A SINGLE DIRECTORY
> (setq backup-directory-alist `(("." .
> ,(file-name-nondirectory "~/.emacs_backups"))))
>
> This will make backups in the current directory to a
> dir called .emacs_backups -- however, is there a way
> to make one universal backup directory that all emacs
> files go to regardless of where they are saved?

Doesn't the above do that?  It chooses ~/.emacs_backups for all
directory names which contain at least one non-newline character,
IIUC.
--
Ambibibentists unite!

@ 2003-01-27 17:56 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2003-01-27 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

  john> I have the following entry in my dotfile:

  john> ;; MAKE ALL BACKUPS TO A SINGLE DIRECTORY (setq
  john> ;; backup-directory-alist
  john> `(("." .  ,(file-name-nondirectory "~/.emacs_backups"))))

  john> This will make backups in the current directory to a dir
  john> called .emacs_backups -- however, is there a way to make one
  john> universal backup directory that all emacs files go to
  john> regardless of where they are saved?

The "backup-dir" package does exactly what you want. I've used it for
a while, and found it to do what I want. google will provide, I'm
sure.

Phil

@ 2003-01-27 18:02 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-01-27 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

john doe <m0nkeyd0g2000@yahoo.com> writes:

> ;; MAKE ALL BACKUPS TO A SINGLE DIRECTORY
> (setq backup-directory-alist `(("." .
> ,(file-name-nondirectory "~/.emacs_backups"))))
>
> This will make backups in the current directory to a dir called
> .emacs_backups -- however, is there a way to make one universal
> backup directory that all emacs files go to regardless of where they
> are saved?

Read the variable documentation.

Hope this helps, benny

* Re: universal backup directory
@ 2003-01-27 19:27   ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2003-01-27 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

john doe <m0nkeyd0g2000@yahoo.com> writes:

> ;; MAKE ALL BACKUPS TO A SINGLE DIRECTORY
> (setq backup-directory-alist `(("." .
> ,(file-name-nondirectory "~/.emacs_backups"))))
>
> This will make backups in the current directory to a
> dir called .emacs_backups -- however, is there a way
> to make one universal backup directory that all emacs
> files go to regardless of where they are saved?

The `file-name-nondirectory' strips the "~/" from "~/.emacs_backups",
and so what you have is equivalent to

(setq backup-directory-alist '(("." ".emacs_backups")))

and so .emacs_backup is put in the current directory.  You probably
want

(setq backup-directory-alist '(("." "~/.emacs_backups")))

Jay

* Re: universal backup directory
@ 2003-01-27 20:02     ` Todd Wylie
From: Todd Wylie @ 2003-01-27 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using:

(setq backup-directory-alist '(("." . "~/.emacs_backups")))

Seems to do the trick... thanks! Interestingly, filenames seem to be keeping entire directory path and simply replacing "/" with "!".

Cheers.

@ 2003-01-27 21:25   ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2003-01-27 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> (setq backup-directory-alist
>>       `(("." . ,(file-name-nondirectory "~/.emacs_backups"))))

Use

 (setq backup-directory-alist
       `(("" . ,(file-name-nondirectory "~/.emacs_backups"))))

if you want it to work with file names that only contain line-feeds.

* Re: universal backup directory
@ 2003-01-27 22:49       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-01-27 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Todd Wylie wrote:

> Interestingly, filenames seem to be keeping entire directory path and
> simply replacing "/" with "!".

So that files with the same name in different directories can be backed up
(e.g. /a/b/c/foo and /x/y/z/foo).