all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Returning focus to Mutt
@ 2003-01-05  4:25 Michael Herman
From: Michael Herman @ 2003-01-05  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using Mutt as my MUA which runs in an xterm window.  My editor is
currently defined as emacs so everytime I create or edit a mail, it
launches a brand new instance of emacs.

I would like to use emacsclient and have one question about it.  Is
there a way, after closing the buffer with C-x C-#, for emacs to return
the focus to the Mutt window?  I know I can lower the frame and get it
out of the way but emacs still retains the focus.

Thanks for the help.

--
Michael Herman

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 189 bytes --]

* Re: Returning focus to Mutt
       [not found] <mailman.111.1041740911.16962.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-01-05  5:41 ` Miles Bader
       [not found] ` <i56iswzyrdx.fsf@mao.acc.umu.se>
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-01-05  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Herman <michael@thehermans.org> writes:
> I would like to use emacsclient and have one question about it.  Is
> there a way, after closing the buffer with C-x C-#, for emacs to return
> the focus to the Mutt window?  I know I can lower the frame and get it
> out of the way but emacs still retains the focus.

Perhaps if you could get emacsclient to create a new frame, and delete
it upon `C-x #', then your window-manager would automatically pop the
focus back to the previously focused window; otherwise I'm not sure (it
seems very hard to specifically _ask_ for the mutt window to be focused,
because how do you know which window it is?)

I think you can do this by using something like:

  ;; force emacsclient to pop up a new window/frame on edited files,
  ;; and focus it
  (setq server-window
        (lambda (buf)
          (add-to-list 'special-display-buffer-names (buffer-name buf))
          (pop-to-buffer buf)
          (x-focus-frame nil)))

[it worked when I just tried it using `emacsclient /tmp/mutt-foo']

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein

* Re: Returning focus to Mutt
       [not found] ` <i56iswzyrdx.fsf@mao.acc.umu.se>
@ 2003-01-09 18:30   ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2003-01-09 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Is there a way, after closing the buffer with C-x C-#, for
>> emacs to return the focus to the Mutt window?
[snip]
> Another option is to use -nw with emacs to keep it inside the
> terminal.

Yet another option is to run your mutt within an ansi-term in
Emacs, so that when the emacsclient buffer is closed, the next
buffer is your *ansi-term* with Mutt in it.

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
oconnor@soe.ucsd.edu