Kai Großjohann wrote: > Luis Fernandes writes: > > > Only /usr/local/bin needs to be in the user's path. After installing > > emacs, I manually make the links from /usr/local/bin to > > /usr/local/emacs-21.1/bin. > > You will need similar links for the man pages and for the info > files. (And for info, there is the `dir' file to take care of.) Exactly what I was thinking. > IMHO, a software isn't fully installed unless its documentation is > also easily accessible. And some software need editable configuration files, which should be under /etc and be preserved on upgrades. It's all starting to sound like package management to me.