all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* buffer switch & copy not under X
@ 2002-12-23 13:04 Francesco Scaglioni
From: Francesco Scaglioni @ 2002-12-23 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have two problems  ;-{

1] when running emacs under X the following in my ~/.emacs is self
explanatory, yet when running emacs in an xterm (font reasons ) it
doesn't work.

; Switch buffer with ctrl-tab
(global-set-key [(ctrl tab)] 'bury-buffer) ; Ctrl-Tab switches buffers

2] under x the 'contents' of C-k, C-w and M-w are available to paste
to other applications elsewhere via a middle mouse button ( I am using
windowmaker on SuSE 8.0 ) - yet when running emacs within an xterm
they are not.

Does anyone have any suggestons ? and many thanks.

Happy Christmas ( to those to whom it may be relevant )

Francesco

* Re: buffer switch & copy not under X
       [not found] <mailman.543.1040648590.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-23 18:18 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-23 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Francesco Scaglioni <fgs@epulse.net> writes:

> 1] when running emacs under X the following in my ~/.emacs is self
> explanatory, yet when running emacs in an xterm (font reasons ) it
> doesn't work.
>
> ; Switch buffer with ctrl-tab
> (global-set-key [(ctrl tab)] 'bury-buffer) ; Ctrl-Tab switches buffers

Type <tab> and then C-<tab> in "emacs -nw", then use C-h l.  I'm
guessing that Emacs will not see the difference between the two.

You first need to teach your terminal to send some sort of escape
sequence for C-<tab>.  Then you need to teach Emacs about this escape
sequence.  Let's say the escape sequence is ESC [ a b c, then the
following will teach Emacs:

(unless window-system
  (define-key function-key-map (kbd "ESC [ a b c") (kbd "C-<tab>")))

For teaching xterm about it, hmmm...   Maybe this works in
~/.Xdefaults or equivalent:

XTerm.VT100.translations: #override \
        Ctrl <Key> Tab: string(0x1B) string("[abc") \n\
        ...other.bindings.here...

Omit the "\n\" part if you only have one translation.

> 2] under x the 'contents' of C-k, C-w and M-w are available to paste
> to other applications elsewhere via a middle mouse button ( I am using
> windowmaker on SuSE 8.0 ) - yet when running emacs within an xterm
> they are not.

Yes.  You are not allowing Emacs to talk to X.  (What if you were
running on the console and there was no X to talk to?)  I don't know
if M-x xterm-mouse-mode RET helps, but it's easy enough to try.

Or maybe you just fix your Emacs font...

* Re: buffer switch & copy not under X
@ 2002-12-24  9:03   ` Francesco Scaglioni
From: Francesco Scaglioni @ 2002-12-24  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann)
Subject: Re: buffer switch & copy not under X
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 19:18:25 +0100

> Francesco Scaglioni <fgs@epulse.net> writes:
>
> > 1] when running emacs under X the following in my ~/.emacs is self
> > explanatory, yet when running emacs in an xterm (font reasons ) it
> > doesn't work.
> >
> > ; Switch buffer with ctrl-tab
> > (global-set-key [(ctrl tab)] 'bury-buffer) ; Ctrl-Tab switches buffers
>
> Type <tab> and then C-<tab> in "emacs -nw", then use C-h l.  I'm
> guessing that Emacs will not see the difference between the two.
>
> You first need to teach your terminal to send some sort of escape
> sequence for C-<tab>.  Then you need to teach Emacs about this escape
> sequence.  Let's say the escape sequence is ESC [ a b c, then the
> following will teach Emacs:
>
> (unless window-system
>   (define-key function-key-map (kbd "ESC [ a b c") (kbd "C-<tab>")))
>
> For teaching xterm about it, hmmm...   Maybe this works in
> ~/.Xdefaults or equivalent:
>
> XTerm.VT100.translations: #override \
>         Ctrl <Key> Tab: string(0x1B) string("[abc") \n\
>         ...other.bindings.here...
>
> Omit the "\n\" part if you only have one translation.
>
> > 2] under x the 'contents' of C-k, C-w and M-w are available to paste
> > to other applications elsewhere via a middle mouse button ( I am using
> > windowmaker on SuSE 8.0 ) - yet when running emacs within an xterm
> > they are not.
>
> Yes.  You are not allowing Emacs to talk to X.  (What if you were
> running on the console and there was no X to talk to?)  I don't know
> if M-x xterm-mouse-mode RET helps, but it's easy enough to try.
>
> Or maybe you just fix your Emacs font...
>
> --
> ~/.signature is: umop ap!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

Thanks for that I appreciate it -- shall give it a try

Happy Christmas

Francesco