all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* reading a file
@ 2002-12-21 17:58 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2002-12-21 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I've got a problem during an open file operation. I'm opening a file that
includes semigraphics chars, like those into the mule-XXXX char set. If the
file has been created from emacs, all is right, but if the file is older (and
not created by emacs) the semigraphics chars are not displayed correctly.
I've tried to change the input coding system, but I don't know how to tell
emacs to use the mule-XXX char set on opening a file.
Can you tell me how to do it?
Thanks

--
Luca Ferrari,
fluca1978@libero.it

* Re: reading a file
       [not found] <mailman.500.1040490860.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-21 20:24 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-12-21 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@libero.it> writes:

> I've got a problem during an open file operation. I'm opening a file that
> includes semigraphics chars, like those into the mule-XXXX char set. If the
> file has been created from emacs, all is right, but if the file is older (and
> not created by emacs) the semigraphics chars are not displayed correctly.

You can use C-x RET c, then enter a coding system, then (immediately
thereafter) C-x C-f, to open the file.

I have no idea which coding system is the right one -- maybe you can
show examples?  Maybe an output from hexdump or od...