all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Activating Mousewheel
@ 2002-10-24 17:20 Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2002-10-24 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
how can I enable the mouse wheel for scrolling (MS Intellimouse Explorer on
USB)?
From my X config:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

It works with KDE.

I've tried
(require 'mwheel) but not effect. Emacs is 21.2, most recent release.
Thx,
Florian

* Re: Activating Mousewheel
@ 2002-10-24 19:06 ` Daniel Jensen
From: Daniel Jensen @ 2002-10-24 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Florian Lindner <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> writes:

> Hello,
> how can I enable the mouse wheel for scrolling (MS Intellimouse Explorer on
> USB)?
[snip]
> I've tried
> (require 'mwheel) but not effect. Emacs is 21.2, most recent release.

Try (mouse-wheel-mode)

--
Daniel Jensen
daniel@bigwalter.net

* Re: Activating Mousewheel
@ 2002-10-24 20:01 ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2002-10-24 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Florian.Lindner@xgm.de wrote:

> Hello, how can I enable the mouse wheel for scrolling (MS
> Intellimouse Explorer on USB)?  From my X config:
>
> I've tried (require 'mwheel) but not effect. Emacs is 21.2, most
> recent release.  Thx, Florian

With a
(mwheel-install)
?

Robert
--
Take me to the world
A world that smiles

* the real file-attributes function
@ 2002-10-24 23:52 Kin Cho
From: Kin Cho @ 2002-10-24 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I want to use the real file-attributes, not the ange-ftp
overloaded one.  In other words, how do I stop this:

(file-attributes "/ftp.geocities.com:/")

from opening a ftp connection?

I see this line in
(put 'file-attributes 'ange-ftp 'ange-ftp-file-attributes)
in ange-ftp.el

so I tried:
(put 'file-attributes 'ange-ftp 'file-attributes)

but this causes infinite recursion when I eval

(file-attributes "/ftp.geocities.com:/")

Thanks.

-kin

* Re: the real file-attributes function
@ 2002-10-25  0:24 ` Barry Margolin
       [not found]   ` <nqn0p3m2g6.fsf@alcatel.de>
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-10-25  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7ibs5j1jko.fsf@neoscale.com>, Kin Cho  <kin@neoscale.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I want to use the real file-attributes, not the ange-ftp
>overloaded one.  In other words, how do I stop this:
>
>(file-attributes "/ftp.geocities.com:/")
>
>from opening a ftp connection?
>
>I see this line in
>(put 'file-attributes 'ange-ftp 'ange-ftp-file-attributes)
>in ange-ftp.el
>
>so I tried:
>(put 'file-attributes 'ange-ftp 'file-attributes)
>
>but this causes infinite recursion when I eval
>
>(file-attributes "/ftp.geocities.com:/")

(remprop 'file-attributes 'ange-ftp)

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA

* Re: the real file-attributes function
@ 2002-10-25 14:23 ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
       [not found]   ` <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-10-25 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I want to use the real file-attributes, not the ange-ftp
> overloaded one.  In other words, how do I stop this:

> (file-attributes "/ftp.geocities.com:/")

> from opening a ftp connection?

> I see this line in
> (put 'file-attributes 'ange-ftp 'ange-ftp-file-attributes)

Fiddling with those attributes will just break ange-ftp.
You're better off disabling it rather than breaking it.
Take a look at file-name-handlers-alist and remove the ange-ftp
entries there.

I'm curious, tho: why exactly do you want to do that ?

* Re: the real file-attributes function
       [not found]     ` <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu>
@ 2002-10-25 15:17       ` Peter S Galbraith
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2002-10-25 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote:

> Fiddling with those attributes will just break ange-ftp.
> You're better off disabling it rather than breaking it.
> Take a look at file-name-handlers-alist and remove the ange-ftp
> entries there.

So that's how you disable ange-ftp!  It ought to have a defcustom for
that...

I _never_ use it, and I'm always annoyed the first time I try to open
a file, press tab after / in the prompt, and emacs loads ange-ftp.

Peter

* Re: Activating Mousewheel
@ 2002-10-25 15:47 ` Kolya Poganini
From: Kolya Poganini @ 2002-10-25 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

(defvar wheel-scroll-number-of-lines 5)

(defun wheel-scroll-up-fix-point ()
  (interactive)
  (scroll-up wheel-scroll-number-of-lines)
  (forward-line wheel-scroll-number-of-lines)
  )
(defun wheel-scroll-down-fix-point ()
  (interactive)
  (scroll-up (- wheel-scroll-number-of-lines))
  (forward-line (- wheel-scroll-number-of-lines))
  )

(global-set-key [mouse-4] 'wheel-scroll-down-fix-point)
(global-set-key [mouse-5] 'wheel-scroll-up-fix-point)

Florian Lindner wrote:

> Hello,
> how can I enable the mouse wheel for scrolling (MS Intellimouse Explorer
> on USB)?
> From my X config:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier "Mouse1"
>     Driver "mouse"
>     Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
>     Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
>     Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> It works with KDE.
>
> I've tried
> (require 'mwheel) but not effect. Emacs is 21.2, most recent release.
> Thx,
> Florian

* Re: Activating Mousewheel
@ 2002-10-25 18:22   ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-10-25 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I've tried
>> (require 'mwheel) but not effect. Emacs is 21.2, most recent release.

(mouse-wheel-mode 1)

* Re: Activating Mousewheel
       [not found]     ` <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu>
@ 2002-10-25 18:51       ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2002-10-25 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote:

> >> I've tried
> >> (require 'mwheel) but not effect. Emacs is 21.2, most recent release.
>
> (mouse-wheel-mode 1)

Or alternatively,

  (mwheel-install)

@ 2002-10-25 23:30     ` Kin Cho
From: Kin Cho @ 2002-10-25 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Albinus <Michael.Albinus@alcatel.de> writes:
>   (let (file-name-handler-alist)
>     (file-attributes "/ftp.geocities.com:/"))

Exactly what I'm looking for.  Thanks!

-kin

* Any standard function to prompt for multiple comma-separated items?
@ 2002-11-15 19:17 Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2002-11-15 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

For MH-E, I'm looking for code already available in Emacs to do
completing-read for multiple comma-separated items.  e.g.

To: p.gal[TAB]
->
To: p.galbraith
->
To: p.galbraith, psg[TAB]
->
To: p.galbraith, psg@home

Does anyone now of such code already existing?

There's multi-prompt.el bundled with AUC-TeX that comes close (doesn't
allow whitespace after the field separator), but I need something I can
use in MH-E without external packages.

Peter S. Galbraith, MH-E developer  <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net>
GPG key 1024/D2A913A1 - 97CE 866F F579 96EE  6E68 8170 35FF 799E
6623'rd GNU/Linux user at the Counter - http://counter.li.org/

* Re: Any standard function to prompt for multiple comma-separated items?
       [not found] <mailman.1037389349.31174.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-16 18:55 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1037542582.16549.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-16 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> writes:

> For MH-E, I'm looking for code already available in Emacs to do
> completing-read for multiple comma-separated items.

I think Gnus just has people hit RET after each item.  Entering an
empty item terminates the sequence.  (Gnus has the same problem for
the Newsgroups header.)

Does this help?

kai

@ 2002-11-17  9:27 ` Klaus Berndl
       [not found]   ` <Klaus.Berndl@sdm.de>
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-11-17  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Peter S. Galbraith wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  For MH-E, I'm looking for code already available in Emacs to do
>  completing-read for multiple comma-separated items.  e.g.
>
>  To: p.gal[TAB]
>  ->
>  To: p.galbraith
>  ->
>  To: p.galbraith, psg[TAB]
>  ->
>  To: p.galbraith, psg@home
>
>  Does anyone now of such code already existing?
>
>  There's multi-prompt.el bundled with AUC-TeX that comes close (doesn't
>  allow whitespace after the field separator), but I need something I can
>  use in MH-E without external packages.

Hmm, i do not know if i understand your problem in the right way...Do you want
this completion in the minibuffer or is it more like dabbrev-completion in a
"normal" buffer?
Even more: What should be the domain of the completion, i.e. the set of
allowed completions??

If you are searching for something in the minibuffer, here is a function:

,----
| ;; stolen from query.el and slightly enhanced
| (defun ecb-query-string (prompt choices &optional other-prompt)
|   "Prints PROMPT and returns a string which must be one of CHOICES.
| CHOICES is either a list of strings whereas the first choice is the default
| \(which is returned if the user simply types RET) or nil \(then only a simple
| RET quits the query and returns nil). If OTHER-PROMPT is not nil and a string
| then the choice \"other\" is added to CHOICES and after selecting this choice
| the user is prompted with OTHER-PROMPT to insert any arbitrary string."
|   (let* ((new-choices (if other-prompt
|                           (add-to-list 'choices "other" t)
|                         choices))
|          (default (car new-choices))
|          answer)
|     (setq prompt (concat prompt
|                          " ["
|                          (if new-choices
|                              (mapconcat (function (lambda (x) x))
|                                         new-choices ", ")
|                            "RET")
|                          "] "))
|     (setq new-choices (nconc (mapcar (function (lambda (x) (list x t)))
|                                      new-choices)
|                              '('("" t))))
|     (setq answer (completing-read prompt new-choices nil t ""))
|     (cond ((string= answer "")
|            (setq answer default))
|           ((string= answer "other")
|            (setq answer (read-string (concat other-prompt ": ")))))
|     answer))
`----

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: Any standard function to prompt for multiple comma-separated items?
@ 2002-11-17 14:03   ` Peter S Galbraith
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1037542582.16549.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2002-11-17 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> wrote:

> Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> writes:
>
> > For MH-E, I'm looking for code already available in Emacs to do
> > completing-read for multiple comma-separated items.
>
> I think Gnus just has people hit RET after each item.  Entering an
> empty item terminates the sequence.  (Gnus has the same problem for
> the Newsgroups header.)
>
> Does this help?

Sort of, thanks.

I really would prefer comma separation within a single prompt.  It's a
lighter to use interface.

Peter

@ 2002-11-17 14:08     ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2002-11-17 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Klaus Berndl <Klaus.Berndl@sdm.de> wrote:

> >  For MH-E, I'm looking for code already available in Emacs to do
> >  completing-read for multiple comma-separated items.  e.g.
>
> Hmm, i do not know if i understand your problem in the right way...Do
> you want this completion in the minibuffer or is it more like
> dabbrev-completion in a "normal" buffer?

minibuffer completion, with a comma to separate items to completion.

>                                           Even more: What should be
> the domain of the completion, i.e. the set of allowed completions??

Exactly like completing-read, an alist of allowed completions.

> If you are searching for something in the minibuffer, here is a function:
>
> ,----
> | ;; stolen from query.el and slightly enhanced
> | (defun ecb-query-string (prompt choices &optional other-prompt)

Thanks, but this isn't what I'm looking for at all.

Peter

@ 2002-11-17 16:39 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-17 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> writes:

> For MH-E, I'm looking for code already available in Emacs to do
> completing-read for multiple comma-separated items.  e.g.

The documentation for completing-read mentions that TABLE can also be
a function `that does the completion itself'.  Alas, I couldn't find
any more info.

But maybe you could write a dummy function that invokes debug, then
you can see which arguments are passed to the function.

kai

@ 2002-11-18 15:52     ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-11-18 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I really would prefer comma separation within a single prompt.  It's a
> lighter to use interface.

Emacs has the `crm' library that provides completing-read-multiple.
Should be exactly what you're looking for.

* Re: Any standard function to prompt for multiple comma-separated items?
@ 2002-11-18 15:53   ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-11-18 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The documentation for completing-read mentions that TABLE can also be
> a function `that does the completion itself'.  Alas, I couldn't find
> any more info.

There's more info in the docstring of all-completions, try-completion,
and test-completion (you might not have this last one yet).
And there might also be more info in the elisp manual, of course.

@ 2002-11-18 18:23       ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2002-11-18 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I really would prefer comma separation within a single prompt.  It's a
> > lighter to use interface.
>
> Emacs has the `crm' library that provides completing-read-multiple.
> Should be exactly what you're looking for.

:-)

It is _exactly_ what I wanted.  Thanks!

Peter

* Re: Customize a checklist
       [not found] <mailman.227.1039966739.19936.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-12-15 18:56 ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-12-15 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Peter S. Galbraith wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>  I'd like to customize a list which would contain certain symbols or
>  strings from certain possibilities.  The aim is to setup which buttons
>  appear in a toolbar through a checklist, such as
>
>      [*] inc
>      [*] MIME save
>      [*] preferences
>      [*] help
>
>  I haven't found a way to do this in customize.
>  Did I miss something?
>
>  Any implementation ideas or suggestions?

(defcustom ecb-advice-window-functions '(other-window
                                         delete-window delete-other-windows
                                         delete-windows-on
                                         split-window-horizontally
                                         split-window-vertically
                                         switch-to-buffer
                                         switch-to-buffer-other-window)
  :group 'ecb-layout
  :initialize 'custom-initialize-default
  :type '(set (const :tag "other-window"
                     :value other-window)
              (const :tag "delete-window"
                     :value delete-window)
              (const :tag "delete-other-windows"
                     :value delete-other-windows)
              (const :tag "delete-windows-on"
                     :value delete-windows-on)
              (const :tag "split-window-horizontally"
                     :value split-window-horizontally)
              (const :tag "split-window-vertically"
                     :value split-window-vertically)
              (const :tag "switch-to-buffer"
                     :value switch-to-buffer)
              (const :tag "switch-to-buffer-other-window"
                     :value switch-to-buffer-other-window)
              (const :tag "other-window-for-scrolling"
                     :value other-window-for-scrolling)))

This is an example for a set of function symbols...

Ciao,
Klaus

--

@ 2002-12-15 20:44     ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2002-12-15 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Klaus Berndl <Klaus.Berndl@sdm.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Peter S. Galbraith wrote:
>
> >  I'd like to customize a list which would contain certain symbols or
> >  strings from certain possibilities.  The aim is to setup which buttons
> >  appear in a toolbar through a checklist, such as
> >
> >      [*] inc
> >      [*] MIME save

>   :type '(set (const :tag "other-window"
>                      :value other-window)
>               (const :tag "other-window-for-scrolling"
>                      :value other-window-for-scrolling)))
>
> This is an example for a set of function symbols...

Thank you Klaus!

I don't know how I missed it, but I'm sure glad I asked!

:-)

--
Peter S. Galbraith, MH-E developer  <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net>
GPG key 1024/D2A913A1 - 97CE 866F F579 96EE  6E68 8170 35FF 799E
6623'rd GNU/Linux user at the Counter - http://counter.li.org/

* off-topic?
@ 2003-05-02  3:12 James D
From: James D @ 2003-05-02  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,
I often see people posting to newsgroups messages that include some
bold, underlined or italic characters in the body of their text(?)
messages. I use emacs as my external editor in kmail. How could I do
the same? Sorry if this is too much off-topic but I didn't know where
else to ask.
Thanks.
James D

* Re: off-topic?
@ 2003-05-02  5:44 ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2003-05-02  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

James D <nospam@please.no> writes:

> I often see people posting to newsgroups messages that include some
> bold, underlined or italic characters in the body of their text(?)
> messages. I use emacs as my external editor in kmail. How could I do
> the same?

Try surrounding words with * characters to get *bold*, _ to get
_underlined_ and / to get /italic/ text.

Lute.

--
(spook) => "MD5 fissionable gamma"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")

* Re: off-topic?
@ 2003-05-02 19:41   ` James D
From: James D @ 2003-05-02 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra wrote:

> James D <nospam@please.no> writes:
>
>> I often see people posting to newsgroups messages that include some
>> bold, underlined or italic characters in the body of their text(?)
>> messages. I use emacs as my external editor in kmail. How could I do
>> the same?
>
> Try surrounding words with * characters to get *bold*, _ to get
> _underlined_ and / to get /italic/ text.
>
> Lute.

Fine, this works for Knode but that does /not/ work for kmail which is the
mail client I use. Does this work only for newsreaders? Do you know of any
easy-to-use mail client which supports these nice features? Thanks again.
James D

* Re: off-topic?
@ 2003-05-02 20:39     ` Roodwriter
From: Roodwriter @ 2003-05-02 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

James D wrote:

> Lute Kamstra wrote:
>
>> James D <nospam@please.no> writes:
>>
>>> I often see people posting to newsgroups messages that include some
>>> bold, underlined or italic characters in the body of their text(?)
>>> messages. I use emacs as my external editor in kmail. How could I do
>>> the same?
>>
>> Try surrounding words with * characters to get *bold*, _ to get
>> _underlined_ and / to get /italic/ text.
>>
>> Lute.
>
> Fine, this works for Knode but that does /not/ work for kmail which is the
> mail client I use. Does this work only for newsreaders? Do you know of any
> easy-to-use mail client which supports these nice features? Thanks again.
> James D

I thought you were talking about newsreaders. My mistake.

I don't believe (I could be wrong) that there's a way to do this with KMail.
Why? Because it would take HTML. For security reasons a lot of people don't
want HTML in their mail. Unless the newer version that comes with KDE 3.1
(I use 3.0) has changed, KMail has a toggle allowing you to READ HTML mail
if you want, but there's no way to SEND it. Unless you do it as an attached
file. Attaching a file, though would give you other options, such as
sending it as a PDF.

The reason for not wanting HTML in your mail is that someone could send you
an e-mail with code in it that could set off an attached virus without you
even executing the file. I don't know how prevalent these are, though. Plus
the overwhelming majority of viruses are written for Windows, not Linux.

And there are people that lament the additional usage of bandwidth just to
make the message colorful. I don't find this argument compelling but I do
have security concerns.

I also don't know if there are other Linux e-mail programs that allow you to
send HTML mail. Some of the others I looked at didn't appear to. But things
change and my distribution is a year old.

--Rod

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of my e-mail address. It's to
confuse spambots, of course.

* Re: off-topic?
@ 2003-05-02 22:00     ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2003-05-02 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

James D <nospam@please.no> writes:

> Lute Kamstra wrote:
>
>> James D <nospam@please.no> writes:
>>
>>> I often see people posting to newsgroups messages that include some
>>> bold, underlined or italic characters in the body of their text(?)
>>> messages. I use emacs as my external editor in kmail. How could I do
>>> the same?
>>
>> Try surrounding words with * characters to get *bold*, _ to get
>> _underlined_ and / to get /italic/ text.
>>
>> Lute.
>
> Fine, this works for Knode but that does /not/ work for kmail which is the
> mail client I use. Does this work only for newsreaders? Do you know of any
> easy-to-use mail client which supports these nice features? Thanks again.
> James D

You asked how you could write the bold, underlined and italic text in
Emacs.  The writing part can, of course, be done by any editor.
Displaying words marked as such must be supported by the mail or news
reader.  I was under the impression that most did support this system,
but I don't know that many mail/news readers.  I use Gnus, which is a
combined mail and news reader written in Emacs Lisp.  It gives me one
reason less to leave Emacs.  Gnus supports this underlining and such.
It's also quite easy to use.  Once you have set it up right, that is.

Lute.

--
(spook) => "counter terrorism Compsec Armani"

@ 2003-05-03  3:08       ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-05-03  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Roodwriter@core.com" <Roodwriter@core.com> writes:

[...]
> And there are people that lament the additional usage of bandwidth just to
> make the message colorful. I don't find this argument compelling but I do
> have security concerns.

It becomes compelling as soon as your only access to the internet is a
connection that is supposed to be 56k but most of the time crawls with
about 30k, and you receive about 50 to 70 mails per day, and the
majority of that mail contains html or html+text, with full quotes,
that are between 3 to 10 times larger than necessary.

I don't find the securety argument compelling. Whatever bad script
there may be contained in the HTML, it has to be interpreted to do any
harm and my mailreader is well educated and doesn't do bad things[1].

Another thing for which I detest 99% of all the HTML mails is the idea
that it is a good thing to force a specific font at a specific size in
a specific color with a specific background on me. *I* know best what
is good for my eyes. Noone else does.

That is not to say that I wouldn't welcome some syntactic markup
language that would provide something like <h1>, <h2>, <b>, <ul> ...
etc. But not much more. Something like an extended text/enriched, but
text/enriched itself is a bit too poor ...

> I also don't know if there are other Linux e-mail programs that
> allow you to send HTML mail. Some of the others I looked at didn't
> appear to. But things change and my distribution is a year old.
[...]

Mozilla?

    Oliver

Footnotes:
[1] Just don't set `gnus-auto-eval-lisp-snippets' to t, if you use
Gnus.

--
14 Floréal an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: off-topic?
       [not found]       ` <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl>
@ 2003-05-03  3:27         ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2003-05-03  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> wrote:

> James D <nospam@please.no> writes:
>
> > Lute Kamstra wrote:

> >> Try surrounding words with * characters to get *bold*, _ to get
> >> _underlined_ and / to get /italic/ text.
> >>
> >> Lute.
> >
> > Fine, this works for Knode but that does /not/ work for kmail which is the
> > mail client I use. Does this work only for newsreaders? Do you know of any
> > easy-to-use mail client which supports these nice features? Thanks again.
> > James D
>
> You asked how you could write the bold, underlined and italic text in
> Emacs.  The writing part can, of course, be done by any editor.
> Displaying words marked as such must be supported by the mail or news
> reader.  I was under the impression that most did support this system,
> but I don't know that many mail/news readers.  I use Gnus, which is a
> combined mail and news reader written in Emacs Lisp.  It gives me one
> reason less to leave Emacs.  Gnus supports this underlining and such.
> It's also quite easy to use.  Once you have set it up right, that is.

MH-E under Emacs also supports them.

http://mh-e.sf.net

Peter

* Re: off-topic?
@ 2003-05-03 21:13       ` Alexander Nikolov
       [not found]       ` <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl>
From: Alexander Nikolov @ 2003-05-03 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:

> James D <nospam@please.no> writes:
>
> > Lute Kamstra wrote:

> >> Try surrounding words with * characters to get *bold*, _ to get
> >> _underlined_ and / to get /italic/ text.
> >>
> >> Lute.
> >
> > Fine, this works for Knode but that does /not/ work for kmail which is the
> > mail client I use. Does this work only for newsreaders? Do you know of any
> > easy-to-use mail client which supports these nice features? Thanks again.
> > James D
>
> You asked how you could write the bold, underlined and italic text in
> Emacs.  The writing part can, of course, be done by any editor.
> Displaying words marked as such must be supported by the mail or news
> reader.  I was under the impression that most did support this system,
> but I don't know that many mail/news readers.  I use Gnus, which is a
> combined mail and news reader written in Emacs Lisp.  It gives me one
> reason less to leave Emacs.  Gnus supports this underlining and such.
> It's also quite easy to use.  Once you have set it up right, that is.
>
> Lute.
>
> --
> (spook) => "counter terrorism Compsec Armani"
> (insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")

Surrounding words with * is new to me, it sounds useful. I personally
mark the words and then use M\bM-\b-g\bg b\bb for bold, _\bM_\b-_\bg
_\bi for italics, _\bM_\b-_\bg _\bu for underlined.

* Re: off-topic?
@ 2003-05-03 21:21       ` Alexander Nikolov
       [not found]       ` <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl>
From: Alexander Nikolov @ 2003-05-03 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:

> James D <nospam@please.no> writes:
>
> > Lute Kamstra wrote:

> >> Try surrounding words with * characters to get *bold*, _ to get
> >> _underlined_ and / to get /italic/ text.
> >>
> >> Lute.
> >
> > Fine, this works for Knode but that does /not/ work for kmail which is the
> > mail client I use. Does this work only for newsreaders? Do you know of any
> > easy-to-use mail client which supports these nice features? Thanks again.
> > James D
>
> You asked how you could write the bold, underlined and italic text in
> Emacs.  The writing part can, of course, be done by any editor.
> Displaying words marked as such must be supported by the mail or news
> reader.  I was under the impression that most did support this system,
> but I don't know that many mail/news readers.  I use Gnus, which is a
> combined mail and news reader written in Emacs Lisp.  It gives me one
> reason less to leave Emacs.  Gnus supports this underlining and such.
> It's also quite easy to use.  Once you have set it up right, that is.
>
> Lute.
>
> --
> (spook) => "counter terrorism Compsec Armani"
> (insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")

Surrounding words with * is new to me, it sounds useful. I personally
mark the words and then use M\bM-\b-g\bg b\bb for bold, M-g i for
italics, _\bM_\b-_\bg _\bu for underlined.

* Re: Coding Convections - Enabling a feature by loading a file
       [not found] <mailman.7309.1054754086.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-04 21:13 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7337.1054774167.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-04 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> feature').  But what is the rationale behind the loading of a package
> having no visisble effect?  If the only purpose of a package is to

A package might be loaded implicitly by something like `customize'
just to get the list of groups/variables it offers.  You wouldn't
want to turn a feature ON just because you're browsing some of the
related variables (you might even be browsing something that you didn't
know was related).

>      (require 'bar-cursor)
>      (bar-cursor-mode 1)
> instead of only:
>      (require 'bar-cursor)

It should be only

   (bar-cursor-mode 1)

because bar-cursor-mode should be autoloaded.

* Re: Coding Convections - Enabling a feature by loading a file
       [not found]     ` <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu>
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-05  0:47       ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2003-06-05  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote:

> > feature').  But what is the rationale behind the loading of a package
> > having no visisble effect?  If the only purpose of a package is to
>
> A package might be loaded implicitly by something like `customize'
> just to get the list of groups/variables it offers.  You wouldn't
> want to turn a feature ON just because you're browsing some of the
> related variables (you might even be browsing something that you didn't
> know was related).

But this is only true if its defcustoms are copied to another file,
right?  How else could it get loaded?  Or do you mean if the user loads
it in order to see its customizations?

> >      (require 'bar-cursor)
> >      (bar-cursor-mode 1)
> > instead of only:
> >      (require 'bar-cursor)
>
> It should be only
>
>    (bar-cursor-mode 1)
>
> because bar-cursor-mode should be autoloaded.

But this is only true if autoloads are generated.  Is it standard
practice to do that for files added to someones site directory or for a
user under $HOME?  I know I've never done that (I might start now that I
think of it).

I'm not talking about a file are is part of Emacs, but one distributed
separately.  How strongly should we adhere to that coding convention?

Thanks!
--
Peter S. Galbraith, Debian Developer          <psg@debian.org>
                                 http://people.debian.org/~psg

@ 2003-06-05  1:02     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-05  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> But this is only true if autoloads are generated.  Is it standard
> practice to do that for files added to someones site directory or for a
> user under $HOME?  I know I've never done that (I might start now that I
> think of it).

It's true that it's rarely done, but I think it should be fixed.
My install.el package embryo tries to do that by providing a standard way
for people to install a "package" and that procedure adds the
necessary autoloads.

> I'm not talking about a file are is part of Emacs, but one distributed
> separately.  How strongly should we adhere to that coding convention?

Why should there be a difference ?  After all, any unbundled package is
just a potential bundled package.

        Stefan

PS: Another circumstance where a package might get loaded implicitly
    is during byte-compilation.  There's probably others.

@ 2003-06-05 16:24 ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2003-06-05 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter S Galbraith <psg@debian.org> writes:

[...]

> But what is the rationale behind the loading of a package having no
> visisble effect?  If the only purpose of a package is to enable a
> feature (say changing the cursor to a bar), why ask users to do:
>
>      (require 'bar-cursor)
>      (bar-cursor-mode 1)
>
> instead of only:
>
>      (require 'bar-cursor)
>
> ?
>
> I am perfect happy for packages to install themselves correctly once
> loaded without having to go through more hoops.

I'm not familiar with bar-cursor.el, but in general a library can
implement more than one feature.  In such a case, it is usually not
obvious which feature to turn on.  It is best to turn nothing on
automatically and let the user choose which of the features to use by
explicitly turning them on.  Even if a library contains only one
feature now, features might be added in future versions.  Such changes
won't surprise the user if nothing is turned on upon loading the
library.

Furthermore, some other library could (require 'bar-cursor) to use
some function that is defined in bar-cursor.el.  In such a case, you
usually do not want bar-cursor-mode to be turned on.

Lute.

--
(spook) => "unclassified Montenegro Serbian"

@ 2003-06-08  0:58         ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2003-06-08  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> wrote:

> Peter S Galbraith <psg@debian.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > But what is the rationale behind the loading of a package having no
> > visisble effect?  If the only purpose of a package is to enable a
> > feature (say changing the cursor to a bar), why ask users to do:
> >
> >      (require 'bar-cursor)
> >      (bar-cursor-mode 1)
> >
> > instead of only:
> >
> >      (require 'bar-cursor)
> >
> > ?
> >
> > I am perfect happy for packages to install themselves correctly once
> > loaded without having to go through more hoops.
>
> I'm not familiar with bar-cursor.el, but in general a library can
> implement more than one feature.  In such a case, it is usually not
> obvious which feature to turn on.  It is best to turn nothing on
> automatically and let the user choose which of the features to use by
> explicitly turning them on.  Even if a library contains only one
> feature now, features might be added in future versions.  Such changes
> won't surprise the user if nothing is turned on upon loading the
> library.
>
> Furthermore, some other library could (require 'bar-cursor) to use
> some function that is defined in bar-cursor.el.  In such a case, you
> usually do not want bar-cursor-mode to be turned on.
>
> Lute.

Yeah, those are good reasons.  You guys have convinced me that the added
steps are worth it in the long run.

Thanks for your comments,

Peter