all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: server-start under Windows
@ 2002-11-06 20:01 bkey1
From: bkey1 @ 2002-11-06 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier@rum.cs.yale.edu> wrote

> You'll need to hack process.c like you did for emacsclient.c to make
> it understand `local' connections (I assume that w32 has unix-domain
> sockets of some sort).

It appear as if most of this has been done.  I just do not know what
make-network-process is supposed to be doing so I cannot tell what is going
wrong.  If someone knows how make-network-process is supposed to work and can
provide a few pointers I may be able to figure it out.

>  Could you show us the patches you needed to
> apply to emacsclient.c ?

I would be more than happy to provide a patch for emacsclient.c that
incorporates my changes.  I had wanted to be able to test my work before doing
so, but I could send it to the list tonight with the disclaimer that it is
almost completely untested.

* Re: server-start under Windows
@ 2002-11-06 14:34 bkey1
From: bkey1 @ 2002-11-06 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

storm@cua.dk wrote:
  > Probably, the solution is to use a local network connection if
  > :family 'local isn't supported.  This can be tested in lisp with
  >
  >      (featurep 'make-network-process '(:family  local))
  >
  > Maybe Stefan can help you here.

Stephan, can you provide any assistance with this issue?  If you can give me an
idea what needs to be changed, I would be more than willing to make the change.

Just as a reminder, the issue at hand is that I have managed to port
emacsclient to Windows but I cannot test it because I get the following error
when I call server-start
   "Unknown address family"
due to a failure in the built in function "make-network-process" (process.c,
line 2749).

* server-start under Windows
@ 2002-11-06  4:45 Ben Key
From: Ben Key @ 2002-11-06  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have managed to get emacsclient to build under Windows.  However, I cannot
test it because whenever I call server-start, I get a "Unknown address
family" error message.  I spent some time debugging this and I found that it
is being generated by the built in function "make-network-process" in
process.c, line 2749.  I am at a loss as to how to resolve this problem.  If
someone could help me resolve this issue, I might be able to complete my
Windows port of emacsclient this weekend.

For those of you who are interested in knowing how I got emacsclient to
build under Windows, it was actually pretty easy, but time consuming.  All I
really needed to do was copy a bunch of code from w32.c (the socket related
functions such as  sys_connect, sys_gethostname and sys_socket and the user
information functions such as getuid, geteuid, and getpwnam) and w32proc.c
(various process related functions such as new_child).

Beyond that, there were only relatively minor changes that were required.