all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* codepage setup (I think)
@ 2002-11-01 17:58 Joshua Goldberg
From: Joshua Goldberg @ 2002-11-01 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

What can I do to properly view text that shows up with inappropriate
foreign characters, as well as characters like \200, \234, \235?  The
example I'm looking at right now is email from a Mac user.  I checked
out the documentation here and around it:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/emacs-20.7/html_node/emacs_196.html#SEC202

... but the only thing I could find to do (M-x set-codepage) didn't
help.  (Perhaps only because I didn't have a guess as to what codepage
to use.)

Thanks!
-Josh

Here's a pasted bit that will, I suppose either look fine for you or
have a's with accents and numerically displayed characters:

  Elman “solved” this by “starting
  small” — that is, by incrementally increasing the
  processing capacity of the model, so that it picks up simple cases
  first, and then bootstraps to more complicated ones.

* Re: (Slightly Off-Topic) Emacs-like Office App
       [not found] <mailman.1036160096.13152.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-01 18:14 ` Joshua Goldberg
       [not found]   ` <joshgold@thresher.cs.indiana.edu>
From: Joshua Goldberg @ 2002-11-01 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:

> Target both software developers and casual office users? Good luck with
> that.

Mac OSX seems like a good example of this.  A hood under which you can
get to tweak powerfully (in ways developers are accustomed to and that
work well) on a system that is well-enough designed that even the
developers I know find they don't bother tweaking it nearly as much as
they did with unix.

> One big super app that does everything? I think MS Word attempts
> that (has word processing, drawing, desktop publishing, embedded
> spreadsheets, modes(document templates), extendable with programming
> ...).  The result: enormous, slow, unstable, and all the other
> reasons why people hate microsoft apps. If you want an app that
> performs well, modularity is the key. Many small programs with a
> narrower scope would be easier to create, upkeep, and execute with
> high performace.

Good points.  I do think a good word-processor can exist, though, that
both programmers and grandpa would be happy with.

 -Josh

(I tweak emacs a lot and love to, but I can certainly imagine having
software that doesn't make me feel like I need to.  I should also
admit that I've never owned or made very heavy use of a Mac--usually
I'm on unix at work.  If I bought a computer though it'd probably be
Mac.)

@ 2002-11-01 18:48     ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2002-11-01 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:

> One big super app that does everything?

People used to say that about Emacs.  :-)
Some still do.

Although the "eight megabytes of ram and constantly swapping" joke
doesn't ring as true when the basic PC has 256 MB now.  Hardware has
caught up to Emacs for a while now!

* Re: codepage setup (I think)
@ 2002-11-01 19:33 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-11-01 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 01 2002, Joshua Goldberg wrote:

> What can I do to properly view text that shows up with inappropriate
> foreign characters, as well as characters like \200, \234, \235?  The
> example I'm looking at right now is email from a Mac user.
                                      ^^^^^

I assume you use Gnus to read the mail. You should upgrade to Gnus
5.8.8 or Gnus 5.9 (the later comes with Emacs 21.2). Gnus 5.7 (see
your header) isn't MIME aware, IIRC.

`W d' (gnus-article-treat-dumbquotes) might help you.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: codepage setup (I think)
@ 2002-11-01 22:09   ` Joshua Goldberg
From: Joshua Goldberg @ 2002-11-01 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nobody

I'm actually using mh-rmail.* Is there anything generic and
mode-independent I can do to fix the viewing of a buffer containing
these characters?  Something I can do in an mh buffer?  (An ftp'd file
could have them too, I imagine.)

 -Josh

*I tend to use mh-rmail for my inbox and gnus for news and
procmail-refiled, lower priority mail

Reiner Steib <4uce.02.r.steib@gmx.net> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 01 2002, Joshua Goldberg wrote:
>
> > What can I do to properly view text that shows up with inappropriate
> > foreign characters, as well as characters like \200, \234, \235?  The
> > example I'm looking at right now is email from a Mac user.
>                                       ^^^^^
>
> I assume you use Gnus to read the mail. You should upgrade to Gnus
> 5.8.8 or Gnus 5.9 (the later comes with Emacs 21.2). Gnus 5.7 (see
> your header) isn't MIME aware, IIRC.
>
> `W d' (gnus-article-treat-dumbquotes) might help you.
>
> Bye, Reiner.
> --
>        ,,,
>       (o o)
> ---ooO-(_)-Ooo--- PGP key available via WWW   http://rsteib.home.pages.de/

* Re: codepage setup (I think)
@ 2002-11-01 23:55     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2002-11-01 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 01 2002, Joshua Goldberg wrote:

> I'm actually using mh-rmail.* Is there anything generic and
> mode-independent I can do to fix the viewing of a buffer containing
> these characters?  Something I can do in an mh buffer?  (An ftp'd file
> could have them too, I imagine.)

Dunno what you can do in mh-rmail. For normal files you can do the
following (but you need to know/guess the "correct-coding-system"):

`C-x RET c correct-coding-system RET C-x C-f /path/to/file RET'

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: codepage setup (I think)
       [not found]   ` <joshgold@thresher.cs.indiana.edu>
@ 2002-11-04 15:02     ` Peter S Galbraith
From: Peter S Galbraith @ 2002-11-04 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joshua Goldberg <joshgold@thresher.cs.indiana.edu> wrote:

> I'm actually using mh-rmail.* Is there anything generic and
> mode-independent I can do to fix the viewing of a buffer containing
> these characters?  Something I can do in an mh buffer?  (An ftp'd file
> could have them too, I imagine.)
>
>  -Josh

I don't know much about character coding, but if it turns out that there
is something MH-E should be doing then please tell us at

 mh-e-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

or file a bug at

Thanks

--
Peter S. Galbraith, mh-e developer  <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net>
GPG key 1024/D2A913A1 - 97CE 866F F579 96EE  6E68 8170 35FF 799E