all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* setting a variable for a mode
@ 2002-11-01 16:36 Matthew Hinton
From: Matthew Hinton @ 2002-11-01 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

  I would like to set the fill column when text mode loads.  In my
custom-set-variables I already have

    '(text-mode-hook (quote (turn-on-auto-fill text-mode-hook-identify)))

I was wondering what I need to add to this to get it to set fill-column to 78.
I have playing with it and I can't quite seem to get it worked out.

--
 Thats why I decided to sabotage my highly scientific mind with cartoons and suger.
    -- Sheen from Jimmy Neutron

* Re: setting a variable for a mode
       [not found] ` <m3u1j1t8et.fsf@swagbelly.net>
@ 2002-11-02  0:24   ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2002-11-02  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cyprian Laskowski <swagbelly@yahoo.com> writes:

> (make-variable-buffer-local 'fill-column)

Note that `fill-column' is buffer-local by default.

--
Booting... /vmemacs.el

@ 2002-11-05 16:51   ` Matthew Hinton
From: Matthew Hinton @ 2002-11-05 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 19:05:44 GMT, Cyprian Laskowski <swagbelly@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Try:
>
> (make-variable-buffer-local 'fill-column)
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda () (setq fill-column 78)))

Thank you very much. I wouldn't have figured that out.